In the '70s, was it still called the Magic Kingdom?

Spaced Out Dude

From 1971.

Does Madison's link clear that it has always been called The Magic Kingdom? :confused:

71-11ride.jpg

Woody13

In any case, I think it's pretty well established historically that it has always been "Magic Kingdom". I'm sure someone will post a scan or something, but the tickets have always refered to it as Magic Kingdom, you never bought a "Walt Disney World" ticket. Then again, maybe I'm wrong...but when I replied to Woody is was mostly because he was so sure he was right. ;)

AEfx
It is always my sincere hope that others will do research as well. My research supports the following conclusions:

Epcot, Disney/MGM Studios and Disney’s Animal Kingdom all have dedication plaques. At the top of each plaque is the name of the park. The words, “Walt Disney World” do not appear on any of those dedication plaques.

Disneyland has a dedication plaque and the name of the park “Disneyland” is boldly written on top of the plaque (it was dedicated by Walt Disney).

There is a dedication plaque for Tomorrowland in Disneyland (it was dedicated by Walt Disney).

The original plans for “The Florida Project” called for the entire area to be called “Disney World” and for the theme park to be called “The Magic Kingdom”.

Roy O. Disney had planned to retire from the company but, after Walt’s death, he postponed his retirement to make sure his brother’s dream was realized.

Roy O. Disney changed the name of the park and the entire complex to “Walt Disney World” to make sure his brother would never be forgotten and on October 25, 1971 he dedicated the park as “Walt Disney World”.

Roy O. Disney had the power and the authority to make the name changes consistent with his own wishes (the tickets had already been printed with "Magic Kingdom").

Two months later, Roy O. Disney died from a brain hemorrhage.

There is a statue of Roy O. Disney seated next to Minnie Mouse in the Town Square of Walt Disney World.

:wave:

Tigger1988

Roy O. Disney changed the name of the park and the entire complex to “Walt Disney World” to make sure his brother would never be forgotten and on October 25, 1971 he dedicated the park as “Walt Disney World”.

Roy O. Disney had the power and the authority to make the name changes consistent with his own wishes (the tickets had already been printed with "Magic Kingdom").

:wave:

I have never heard that before, ever, may I ask your sources?
I know he changed the name of the area to Walt Disney World, but the park was never changed.

Woody13

I know he changed the name of the area to Walt Disney World, but the park was never changed.
"Up until the early 1990s, the Magic Kingdom was officially known as the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, and was never printed without the Walt Disney World prefix. This was to differentiate between the park and Disneyland in California, which was and is also commonly referred to as the Magic Kingdom. Between the opening of the Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney acknowledged the growing need for consistent theme park names - EPCOT Center was renamed in 1994 to Epcot, and gradually the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom dropped the prefix and became the Magic Kingdom Park."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Kingdom

To tell you the truth, I thought this information was common knowledge among most WDW fans. The facts are self evident. :wave:

P.S. I still call it the weinee. :D

Madison

I can't speak to the veracity of the other information in the wikipedia article, but I know for certain that the official nomenclature surrounding EPCOT Center's name change did not see it known as 'Epcot' until sometime after 1996. Prior to that, it was known first as Epcot Center, then as Epcot with the current year appended as a suffix (i.e., Epcot '95).

Further, there are myriad examples of ticket media that include the 'Magic Kingdom' name and have no mention of Walt Disney World.

In short, I think Wikipedia is full of crap. :)

Tigger1988

"Up until the early 1990s, the Magic Kingdom was officially known as the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom, and was never printed without the Walt Disney World prefix. This was to differentiate between the park and Disneyland in California, which was and is also commonly referred to as the Magic Kingdom. Between the opening of the Disney-MGM Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney acknowledged the growing need for consistent theme park names - EPCOT Center was renamed in 1994 to Epcot, and gradually the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom dropped the prefix and became the Magic Kingdom Park."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Kingdom

To tell you the truth, I thought this information was common knowledge among most WDW fans. The facts are self evident. :wave:

P.S. I still call it the weinee. :D

You do realize that wikipedia's information isn't worth anything right? Anyone can change the info. Hate to break it to you, but the facts aren't in your favor. If that info was true then why isn't it called the "Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom" in that commerical?

And as Madison stated Wiki is wrong on the fact that EPCOT Center became just Epcot in '94. It was called Epcot '94 (yes that was the offical name of the park for that time)

Mr.EPCOT

For some reason, it makes people so mad when others refer to the Magic Kingdom as Disneyworld. You have to understand that it was over a decade with no other parks, so when people said they were going to Disneyworld, there was only one place to go.

I think people need to cut some slack to those who say that, because they probably got so used to it, that it is hard to break the habit.

There were plenty of places to go, you could go to one of the hotels, Treasure Island, Lake Buena Vista Village, the golf courses, etc.

I have to say, this is my biggest pet peeve as a Cast Member. It just annoys me to no end when I'm at work and someone asks me how to get to Disney World. Congratulations, you've made it! You're in Disney World! Is there anywhere more specific you'd like to go?

Tigger1988

Impugn the source, but I still need to find that darn Magic Kingdom dedication plaque. :wave:

It still makes no difference that the park has always been called the Magic Kingdom, if its true that Roy changed it at such short a notice I doubt reprinting park tickets would have been a problem, if they were able to mold a plaque in enough time.

colliera

Whaaat?!?!

I don't understand. What are you all talking about?

Magic Kingdom...Walt Disney World...

and all these years I though I was going to Project X.

Woody13

It still makes no difference that the park has always been called the Magic Kingdom, if its true that Roy changed it at such short a notice I doubt reprinting park tickets would have been a problem, if they were able to mold a plaque in enough time.
Roy O. Disney said, “Everyone has heard of the Ford cars. But have they all heard of Henry Ford, who started it all? Walt Disney World is in memory of the man who started it all, so people will know his name as long as Walt Disney World is here." :wave:

Tigger1988

Roy O. Disney said, “Everyone has heard of the Ford cars. But have they all heard of Henry Ford, who started it all? Walt Disney World is in memory of the man who started it all, so people will know his name as long as Walt Disney World is here." :wave:

That proves nothing other than he added Walt to Walt Disney World, we have more than proved in this whole thread that the PARK itself has always been the Magic Kingdom. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom