In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

Kman101

It depends on how you look at a park. Do you look at design, and overall feel of the park not just the ride count? If so then HWS is and forever will be a better park than WDS. If you just care about attractions, then WDS has a good lineup and could be argued to be the "better" park. It's very subjective. We lost two things from HWS and people have lost their minds suddenly saying it's an awful park. Now when GMR goes away sure, I get the complaints. It's pretty sad the park is down to not even a handful of rides. But the park's look is far better than WDSP.

CanadianGordon

I had no desire in my last trip to see Little Mermaid or the Beauty and the Beast stage show... I knew how stale they were and so we skipped them. Put something new and different. Heck BATB has already done Broadway. I've seen the original Toronto production and a recent tour as well.. Please put them out of their misery.

Amidala

I'm not opposed to an Indy land but wouldn't be thrilled if it took over the Theater of the Stars area. RnR already sticks out like a sore thumb next to the old Hollywood vibe of ToT and Sunset Boulevard. I would love to just see the theater plussed and BatB replaced. And I don't say that lightly, because BatB is my favorite Disney movie...but the story is so condensed and the wardrobe and set design so underwhelming that watching is a disappointment.

TBH, I think the Frozen Sing-Along was a brilliant move by Disney, because it takes inspiration from Frozen, but stands as its own show. I've seen it several times and laughed out loud at each performance. The comedy is good, the sing-alongs are enjoyable, and because the storyline is so simple (Anna telling the story of her sister through songs while they wait for Elsa to join them), the show never feels rushed.

I'm all for full-length "Broadway-quality" shows like Aladdin and Frozen over at the Hyperion. But I think 15-30 minute, lower budget movie retellings just don't work. I say stick an elaborate, movie-based show in the new MK theater, and replace the shows at DHS with self-contained stories that are inspired by Disney movies but don't attempt to rehash the whole movie in 1/4 of the time. Like, instead of trying to tell the story of Tangled from beginning to end in a 25-minute show, give Rapunzel, Flynn and co. a brand new conflict w/ a plot that makes sense in this kind of timeframe.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not opposed to an Indy land but wouldn't be thrilled if it took over the Theater of the Stars area. RnR already sticks out like a sore thumb next to the old Hollywood vibe of ToT and Sunset Boulevard. I would love to just see the theater plussed and BatB replaced. And I don't say that lightly, because BatB is my favorite Disney movie...but the story is so condensed and the wardrobe and set design so underwhelming that watching is a disappointment.

TBH, I think the Frozen Sing-Along was a brilliant move by Disney, because it takes inspiration from Frozen, but stands as its own show. I've seen it several times and laughed out loud at each performance. The comedy is good, the sing-alongs are enjoyable, and because the storyline is so simple (Anna telling the story of her sister through songs while they wait for Elsa to join them), the show never feels rushed.

I'm all for full-length "Broadway-quality" shows like Aladdin and Frozen over at the Hyperion. But I think 15-30 minute, lower budget movie retellings just don't work. I say stick an elaborate, movie-based show in the new MK theater, and replace the shows at DHS with self-contained stories that are inspired by Disney movies but don't attempt to rehash the whole movie in 1/4 of the time. Like, instead of trying to tell the story of Tangled from beginning to end in a 25-minute show, give Rapunzel, Flynn and co. a brand new conflict w/ a plot that makes sense in this kind of timeframe.

I hear the Aladdin show at DL was very well liked and it was more than just the half-hour summarized version.

So, I wouldn't mind the hour long summary at the new theater in MK or the old (and refurbished) theaters in DHS. Heck, I'd pay the $100 ticket for a full show if they built a Broadway caliber theater in DS.

And I agree with you, if it's a really short summary (like the current Mermaid and BatB), then I'd prefer a different way to present the songs than just the summary. I, too, love what they did with the Frozen sing-along. And they did a fantastic job with Festival of the Lion King. There's always a variety type show where you have songs, scenes, and dances from a variety of movies. Sort of like HEA, but on stage.

Amidala

I hear the Aladdin show at DL was very well liked and it was more than just the half-hour summarized version.

So, I wouldn't mind the hour long summary at the new theater in MK or the old (and refurbished) theaters in DHS. Heck, I'd pay the $100 ticket for a full show if they built a Broadway caliber theater in DS.

And I agree with you, if it's a really short summary (like the current Mermaid and BatB), then I'd prefer a different way to present the songs than just the summary. I, too, love what they did with the Frozen sing-along. And they did a fantastic job with Festival of the Lion King. There's always a variety type show where you have songs, scenes, and dances from a variety of movies. Sort of like HEA, but on stage.

Oh, definitely! I meant that I'm good with 1 hr+ "summaries" like DL's Aladdin and Frozen, just don't think 15-30 minutes are enough for these kinds of shows. & I would definitely be interested in a variety show, and I think casual guests would enjoy a show they could sing along with! Maybe with some of the "montage" selections from Fantasmic, but with each act performed live and in depth.

Kman101

The historians in the Frozen Sing-Along are absolutely brilliant and I was near tears from laughing so hard. It's fine for what it is. There are other priorities in terms of the shows on property lol. It will be surreal to finally see something new. I wonder what the plans for Mermaid theater are? I'm fine with that one being the first to go.

CJR

The historians in the Frozen Sing-Along are absolutely brilliant and I was near tears from laughing so hard. It's fine for what it is. There are other priorities in terms of the shows on property lol. It will be surreal to finally see something new. I wonder what the plans for Mermaid theater are? I'm fine with that one being the first to go.

I came into the show (Frozen) with low expectations and was actually pretty impressed. It's miles better than American Idol, so I'll take it. It's a relatively relaxing show in a nice air conditioned theater, can't complain really.

Mermaid is the one that's in the most need to go, in my opinion. I loved that show back when it was new, but it hasn't aged well at all. BatB made more sense to stick around temporarily because of the live action film. Now that it's out of the way, I think it's really time for some new shows. The Pixar show was nice, but I'd love to see them go well beyond that. Really, they need to redevelop that whole area and enclose the theater.

Kman101

I came into the show (Frozen) with low expectations and was actually pretty impressed. It's miles better than American Idol, so I'll take it. It's a relatively relaxing show in a nice air conditioned theater, can't complain really.

Mermaid is the one that's in the most need to go, in my opinion. I loved that show back when it was new, but it hasn't aged well at all. BatB made more sense to stick around temporarily because of the live action film. Now that it's out of the way, I think it's really time for some new shows. The Pixar show was nice, but I'd love to see them go well beyond that. Really, they need to redevelop that whole area and enclose the theater.

Agreed on all of this. I loved Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast is nice but it's time. I feel like they're going to keep B&TB though. They seemed to have plans floating around to enclose the theater and enhance the show, not sure if that's still the plan. I'd prefer something new but I'm open to them updating the show I suppose.

I had low expectations of the Frozen sing-along as well. But the historians really make it fun and like you said it's air conditioned. I saw a video of it so I knew what to expect but I finally saw it in person on Friday and it wasn't so bad. I don't think it needs to last 20 years like the other shows LOL but they have other priorities. I once wanted them to do the full musical of Frozen instead but I'm happy to keep the sing-along.

rreading

As much as I agree with all the comments (and legitimate complaints), for the littles (2-6yo set) a 30min show is right up their alley. And while the LM effects are lame and stale to us, a 3yo is all about bubbles! or lasers! Plus, the subject matter is still super fun! for them. You can add that they continue to pack them in (which they do) but there is no other great option (which there isn't); but ultimately it's a taste of live performances they might not get anywhere else for some time.

We just don't go to those shows anymore as our family has outgrown them. But we enjoyed them when our kids were little - and I don't suspect that the shows have gotten worse - we've just grown tired of them. Do I think that they need to be updated/replaced? Meh. How about adding in a new show in addition?

Princess Leia

As much as I agree with all the comments (and legitimate complaints), for the littles (2-6yo set) a 30min show is right up their alley. And while the LM effects are lame and stale to us, a 3yo is all about bubbles! or lasers! Plus, the subject matter is still super fun! for them. You can add that they continue to pack them in (which they do) but there is no other great option (which there isn't); but ultimately it's a taste of live performances they might not get anywhere else for some time.

We just don't go to those shows anymore as our family has outgrown them. But we enjoyed them when our kids were little - and I don't suspect that the shows have gotten worse - we've just grown tired of them. Do I think that they need to be updated/replaced? Meh. How about adding in a new show in addition?
Except show quality has gotten worse. Apparently LM no longer uses water effects, and BatB really just doesn't look that great anymore.

I do think that there needs to be a variety of shows at DHS. Frozen works as a sing-a-long, and Indy as a stunt show (though it needs an update). Beauty and the Beast should arguably be the longest and most theatrical of the bunch. If Disney creates a Moana stage show in place of LM, it could use the bubbles, black light, and puppet effects, just with an updated system.

Amidala

Except show quality has gotten worse. Apparently LM no longer uses water effects, and BatB really just doesn't look that great anymore.

I do think that there needs to be a variety of shows at DHS. Frozen works as a sing-a-long, and Indy as a stunt show (though it needs an update). Beauty and the Beast should arguably be the longest and most theatrical of the bunch. If Disney creates a Moana stage show in place of LM, it could use the bubbles, black light, and puppet effects, just with an updated system.

100% agreed! I think Beauty and the Beast and LM in particular are kind of...embarrassing at this point. I was wow'ed by Beauty and the Beast as a kid, and don't doubt some children still will be, but that's no excuse for the extremely low budget on this show. Think of what Beauty and the Beast could be with some CM additions, wardrobe and set piece updates, a better script and new special effects. Adults watching this show (and LM) should be just as impressed as their children...it should look & feel just as vibrant as the Frozen show. The fact that Disney has allowed these shows to go on for so long without significant updates (when they were not created to last) makes it seem like Disney is content to coast on nostalgia, rather than really push the envelope and deliver top-tier stage shows.

rreading

I didn't remember LM as ever having water effects, and was impressed by how meager of a show it was; similarly, I wonder (and I expect YouTube could reflect this) if BatB was ever any better than it is now.

Certainly I would appreciate updates if I were revisiting the content; but even if the costumes and effects were maintained/updated- I don't think I'm going to be watching the show either way. That ship has sailed.

I expect Disney monitors guest satisfaction regarding these shows. If they still fit the 3yo audience and their parents are pleased, I expect they'll keep them going- no matter what we think about them. If the surveys say they need updating, then I'll expect updates in the next few years.

To me, they're still producing enough quality content to keep me satisfied with my annual visits.

A real question: if you had to choose to update a kiddie show or produce Happily Ever After? I'm glad they did HAE. The return on investment for BatB 2.0 is essentially nil. But the Pixar orchestral production: I queued up for that (and it contributed to drawing us to DHS this past trip).

AEfx

It was awesome. Like, good enough to seek out a video to watch it on YouTube good. It was a full-scale production, and one of the best things (which is why you will see so many YouTube videos) is that Genie updated his dialogue all the time with new jokes and current references.

While our B&tB is serviceable, it's definitely not on the same level.

I wouldn't be sad to see B&tB go, but I would be sad to see TLM go - it's a lovely little show, the A/C is a welcome relief, and unless it was replaced with something markedly new/better, I'd rather it stay. It would just end up unused storage space or something, I'm sure.

FigmentFan3

UNBELIEVABLY good. So glad I got to see it and wish I had seen it multiple times. Fingers crossed for an appearance in the new MK Theatre or something of that quality. Tangled might be nice, or princess and the frog?
As far as the shows in the topic of this thread, I've not seen beast or mermaid that I recall, but the feel of Indy is incredible and I'd be devastated to lose it. It's pretty much the last little bit of the Studio Park that I loved so much. GMR, Backlot (with residential street), SOA, even Sid's. It's crazy to realize how much I loved THAT park.

RSoxNo1

Every time we went to DCA we saw the Aladdin show multiple times per trip. In 2015 I wound up seeing it 5 times on my trip. This was before the announcement that it was going away. For me, at the time of it's removal, it was a bigger gut punch than the removal of any other attraction.

I say this because when the likes of Horizons or Imagination were removed they were in need of updates. Aladdin was the best Disney stage show I've ever seen in a park on the day it closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom