In need of new sit down dining choices...

Jamie J

Original Poster
Hi -

Just booked our December 2014 trip and started discussing dining options. We have 8 table services to plan for and are having a hard time with 3 choices.

So far, we have decided on the following:
1. Teppan Edo
2/3. Narcoossee's
4. Via Napoli
5. Cape May Cafe - Breakfast

We are really looking for some hidden gems! Any suggestions? The only other restaurant we are considering is Portabello in DD.

It's not that we are picky, we just feel like we eat at the same places all the time - how many times can one eat at Mama Melrose, haha!

Any help is appreciated!

MouseDreaming

It might be helpful to know which places you feel like you always eat at, so it isn't recommended by accident.

Have you tried Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch? Haven't had a bad thing yet, and the Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is just yum on a plate!

BransonJ

Second liberty tree. Especially around the holidays.

Since I don't know your regulars I'll include my favorites/places I'm trying new come October.

Coral reef
Yachtsman
California grill
Artist point
Kona
Yak & yeti

MikeyK72

I second the recommendation of Yachtsman, California Grill, and Artist Point.

Additionally, I'd recommend:
- Jiko
- Citricos
- Fultons

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the "Signature Dining" restaurants!

Jamie J

Original Poster
It might be helpful to know which places you feel like you always eat at, so it isn't recommended by accident.

Have you tried Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch? Haven't had a bad thing yet, and the Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is just yum on a plate!

We usually do Mama Melrose, Coral Reef, and the Wave. So we are trying to replace these with something new!

lunchbox1175

I second the recommendation of Yachtsman, California Grill, and Artist Point.

Additionally, I'd recommend:
- Jiko
- Citricos
- Fultons

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the "Signature Dining" restaurants!
I agree with these, especially Fultons, and I would avoid Portabello, it was very mediocre in my opinion, and I had been warned by many people before that it was not very good.

The Incredible Schmulk

I agree with these, especially Fultons, and I would avoid Portabello, it was very mediocre in my opinion, and I had been warned by many people before that it was not very good.

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'd say that if the OP is used to Mama Melrose, it's definitely a step up. Behind Il Mulino, it's the second best sit-down Italian option on property, and it's the only one in an actual Disney-owned property that I find palatable. Well, Via Napoli is okay, but all of the rest range in quality from Olive Garden to Chef Boyardee. My general opinion on Italian cuisine is that if I can do it better at home with grocery store ingredients, it's not worth the money. Most options at Disney fit into that category for me. Portobello and Via Napoli are borderline in this respect, but on the good side of that line.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're not doing the dining plan, go to Il Mulino for your Italian. It is by a large margin, the best Italian you can get without leaving Disney. It's pretty high in the running for the best in the Orlando area, really.

We're similar in that we always eat at the same places, but this year we decided to hit up a comb of new and old.

Old favorites: Coral Reef (it's nice eating next to an aquarium), 50's Prime Time (The meatloaf that made my boyfriend love meatloaf and PB&J milkshakes), and Cuba Libre (never have I seen one man consume so much food as I saw him eat there), La Hacienda (Like the Mexican and it's on the lake)

New: Be Our Guest, Biergarten, Boma

My recommendation is to hit up the menus and look for something that jumps out at you. Last year we tried the Norway one that I won't attempt to spell or say, and it was delicious. I went there cause I wanted to try the ligonberry sauce.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We had a very nice lunch at Yak and Yet. Kona was excellent breakfast and dinner. Teppan Edo is always spot on but desserts lack. Bib River Grille has an over the top Kobe burger. Liberty in MK nice comfort food.
IMG_0481-1.jpg

Yak & Yeti

6241447487_025cb742bd.jpg

Kobe burger, even the bun was divine
Teppan Edo
6262179945_5ecd226890.jpg

so much quality food, not just filler food
6262179935_ef1edc221e.jpg

Kona Teriyaki Steak
6468436815_888b83f9d5.jpg

or breakfast though this same version of Tonga Toast is from Cooks, a cheaper just as good version
IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

Hi -

Just booked our December 2014 trip and started discussing dining options. We have 8 table services to plan for and are having a hard time with 3 choices.

So far, we have decided on the following:
1. Teppan Edo
2/3. Narcoossee's
4. Via Napoli
5. Cape May Cafe - Breakfast

We are really looking for some hidden gems! Any suggestions? The only other restaurant we are considering is Portabello in DD.

It's not that we are picky, we just feel like we eat at the same places all the time - how many times can one eat at Mama Melrose, haha!

Any help is appreciated!

I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I'd say that if the OP is used to Mama Melrose, it's definitely a step up. Behind Il Mulino, it's the second best sit-down Italian option on property, and it's the only one in an actual Disney-owned property that I find palatable. Well, Via Napoli is okay, but all of the rest range in quality from Olive Garden to Chef Boyardee. My general opinion on Italian cuisine is that if I can do it better at home with grocery store ingredients, it's not worth the money. Most options at Disney fit into that category for me. Portobello and Via Napoli are borderline in this respect, but on the good side of that line.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're not doing the dining plan, go to Il Mulino for your Italian. It is by a large margin, the best Italian you can get without leaving Disney. It's pretty high in the running for the best in the Orlando area, really.

In 2012 Via Napoli was not my most expensive meal but my favorite. Last month Via was not even boarderline, it was just aweful by far our worst meal TS or QS of our long trip. I actually started my trip report and spoke to it.
Disney can't seem to do Italian Food.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/all-grown-up.883499/page-3

DTD I'd eat at T-Rex. Skip the talk about the surroundings, the food is good, I would not do Portobello's again.

Last edited:

MaxsDad

Knowing the make up your travel party/likes-dislikes would help with specifics, but:

If you have kids with you: Whispering Canyon.
Since you are doing Cape May, I assume you do not mind buffets: Try Boma for dinner, it is great. Variety and quality. Sanaa is good as well, and offers animal viewing table-side. This would give you a meal in the AK area, perhaps coinciding with a visit to that park.
The wife and I like the Cajun fare at Boatwrights. I really enjoy the Prime Rib there.
I would also recommend Be Our Guest( not a HIDDEN gem) for couples or families. Since you are going in December, you still have a shot at booking at the 180 mark.

Jamie J

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your ideas! We are going to add Yak and Yeti and decide the remaining 2 over the next 2 weeks. I think if we can get BOG, we will probably take it just to say we have eater there.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We do BOG, Whispering Canyons (the kids will love having breakfast there, quite a show and the best Mickey waffles in all of WDW), Raglan Road, Portobello (I've never had a bad meal there), Wolfgang Puck's (the sangria is very good, along with everything else) in DTD, CRT (the food is meh, but you go for the experience - will take up 2 TS credits for each person; breakfast is the best and try to get there before Rope Drop as you will have the Park to yourself and awesome pictures of the Castle); Akershus Hall in EPCOT (the food is surprisingly good and the only place you can get up close and personal with Belle in her ball gown), Rose & Crown in EPCOT and Rainforest Café in DAK, not at DTD.

This is not on the DDP, but we like to go to AMC and do a dine-in movie the first night we are at WDW after driving several hours during the day.

Dog Ate Mouse

Boma's for Breakfast was a real treat for us and very enjoyable. For lunch the Tusker House was great and made us want to go back there again. The Grand Floridian Café was really great, the steak I had there was really on the outstanding side. The meal was truly tasty and a nice surprise. The Flying Fish is another surprise for us that we truly enjoyed. Stumbled upon it and decided to give it a try. That was a very good restaurant. One of the things I love about trying different places is you never know what you will get and just might enjoy the whole experience to boot. Last comment is that Wolfgang Pucks was really tasty and different in a really nice way.

EricJ

Kona's probably THE best-kept secret on the monorail loop, since it's right next to Ohana's that gets all the attention. Good seafood and contemporary Asian-themed. (They're not just for breakfast anymore!)

And Biergarten if you have another day at Epcot.
I'm hoping to try Yak and Yeti at AK, but I'm a little disappointed they don't serve real yak, like our local college-town Tibetan-refugee restaurant. ;)

If you have kids with you: Whispering Canyon.
The wife and I like the Cajun fare at Boatwrights. I really enjoy the Prime Rib there.

I'll second that--Don't have to do just the high-end sit-downs at the Deluxe resorts; there's good mid-range cooking to be found at the Moderates, and a high-end and family/buffet restaurant each at the Deluxes. (Jiko is the high-end restaurant at AKL, but Boma is the reason for going.)
Now that I've finally ( :banghead: ) gotten my free dining package at CBR, I'm planning my first night at Shutters before hitting the late-nite parks, any recommendations?

acishere

- You can't go wrong with any of the 3 dining options at AKL (Boma, Sanaa, or Jinko)
- Boatwrights at POR
- The Fountain at Swan/Dolphin
- Raglan Road in DTD
- Wave at the Contemporary
- Trails End at Fort Wilderness
- Whispering Canyon Cafe at WL (Breakfast preferred)
- Kona Cafe (Breakfast preferred)

slappy magoo

Boma at dinner is a must for my family every trip. What resort will you be staying, and will you have your own car or rely on Disney transportation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom