Trip Report In Before Irma! A September Beach Club mini-trip! *COMPLETED*

We are Amber (myhappyplace) and Dave (Mrhappyplace), married couple celebrating 4 years with a quick trip to the Beach Club Resort, from September 7-10. Our short little pretrip thread is available for reading if you want background.

Let's back up to two Fridays prior to our trip, when I woke up in the middle of the night with searing throat pain. I let it go Saturday, but by Sunday, with no improvement, I had to go to the minute clinic. Yep, Strep. I have been teaching toddlers for 16 years, and very rarely get sick other than a minor cold here or there, so this was surprising, especially since I hadn't been exposed to my knowledge. I was prescribed-and finished-my prescription.

Fast forward now, to literally hours before our departure time. DH stayed home on Wednesday, September 6th to get our cats boarded and the house ready for our being gone. I came home from work, we ate a quick dinner, packed up the car, then I headed to bed for a few hours. When my alarm went off, I woke up---to searing throat pain. Crap. I decided to let it ride, hoping maybe it would go away. Nothing was stopping us from heading Home to the World!

Including....

That beyotch, Irma.

We debated what to do, but...well, not really debated, as we were always pretty certain that since our trip was scheduled to end Sunday morning anyway, that we would be fine. I did insist on taking a bunch more food than we normally would, as well as 2 cases of water, lots of ponchos, and an entire bag of shoes for both of us (can't stand wet shoes if I can help it)! Suffice to say I was WAY more worried than DH was.

So here we go!

Thursday, September 7th
We left north Georgia at about 1:00 am.

Earlier in the week, I had reposted this meme on facebook, saying it was going to be DH and I:
irma.jpg

This was the stone cold truth. I felt sort of guilty! These people fleeing for their lives and we were heading on vacation. But we knew we would be back before it got near, so on we pressed!

Here are actual images, right when we first really started to notice the difference in the lanes. It built much more as we drove, exits were full, rest stops backed up.

[NOTE: The images in this first post are from my cell, because I hadn't gotten my actual camera out yet]
20170907_072337.jpg

20170907_072332.jpg

Dave drove until we stopped for gas somewhere in Georgia, The station was NOT very well set up with construction and confusing signage so it took us forever to actually get in the right place. Then there were people blocking the pumps. We have no clue if they had already gotten their gas or what, but there were about 3 or 4 cars, obviously together and each taking their own pump, but not actively pumping any gas. Just snapchatting, dancing, and being generally obnoxious. We lined up behind another vehicle and eventually got our gas. While I was in the restroom, someone else did finally yell at this group for taking up so much space when lots of people were trying to gas up. One of the main reasons we chose this gas station was because it advertised a McDonald's. McDonald's for this gas station apparently consisted of a plywood counter, where someone stood and served coffee. That was it. This whole gas station was a MESS.

After this stop, I took over and drove until Lake City, where we tried stopping again for breakfast and gas. Breakfast was at Burger King (we had coupons for b1g1 crossainwiches) There were some people getting out of their cars at the same time, who were caravaning together. The woman made sure to wind down her window, then told us that she had 4 rabbits in her vehicle, and the other vehicle had 2 cats. I'm sure that was a fun trip!

After we grabbed the breakfast to-go, we drove across the street for gas, but the pumps were bagged. So we drove across another road, where the gas station was incredibly backed up. We drove down the street, but couldn't find any other, so back to the backed-up station we went, got in line, and got to a pump fairly quickly. But the pump wouldn't work, and the woman beside us was also having issues.

Figuring we'd have to try an exit further down, we pulled out of the station, and then on a whim, tried another station on the other side of the highway. At first it didn't seem like it wanted to work for us either, until I realized that they probably weren't accepting credit? So I told DH to enter it as a debit, and it worked. WHEW!! I was so worried. So we're not sure if the previous station was out of gas, or was doing something similar with the credit/ debit. We had our gas and though it took WAAAAY longer than we anticipated, we were back on the highway, this time with DH driving.

FINALLY we see the light!!! (And no, I am not really complaining about the trip, as I said...I know, people were driving for life & death purposes, and we voluntarily chose to go on vacation. Just trying to add all the details and humor of our trip, is all!)
20170907_085818.jpg

We easily found our way to our home for the next few days- Beach Club!

The guard at the gate was an adorable older gentleman from somewhere in NY named Joe. He was excited to check us in because he had a new toy (ipad). He asked us for our last name (which is a Russian doozy of a name), and we began to spell:

Us: Z-A...

Joe: okay L...?

Us: no, Z-A..

Joe: L-A.

Us: no! Z!

Joe: L-Z!! (We have no idea where he got the L from).

We were laughing so hard. DH just pulled out his id and then he was able to type it in correctly.

We pulled up to the lobby, unloaded our luggage with bell services. The man then recommended that we go right then and top off our tank, so we did that quickly, came back, and parked. We had done online check-in, but wanted to let the from desk know that we were there this early. And our room was ready! Yay!

In-room pics (and more pics in general) coming up! Thanks for reading along!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster

Maybe it's just my imagination, but your R&R coaster mates were in your ToT elevator photo as well!

Ha!! Yes you are correct it seems!!
Love the photos!

As far as dark rides - what camera and lens were you using?

I did a video on shooting dark rides, but a "fast" lens really helps.

Thank you!

18-55. I will admit, I am not completely at ease with many of my cameras settings as yet.

I am going to study this before our next trip!

As they say in baseball, "Good Eye!"

Yes!

Really enjoying your report. Loving your photos :)

Thank you!!

Disney cupcakes almost make our jobs worth it ;)

Almost. Girl, I would sell my class for one of those cupcakes right now. I STILL have not found a groove this school year...granted I teach toddlers so it isn't exactly the same, but this class of 1 & 2 year olds will be the death of me I swear.

"Very observant you are"
View attachment 229223

Max

Yes, very!!

Going to the beach club in 4 weeks, thanks for the photos it looks awesome

You're welcome, you will love it!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
One does not simply walk back to the room without taking even more lobby and pool pictures on the way!

This is from the Yacht Club:
IMG_6947 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

It is a very handsome resort
IMG_6948 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6949 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6950 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back out by the pool....we would be on our way there soon you beautiful pool, you!
IMG_6951 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6952 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Look at the pool being all enticing!
IMG_6953 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6954 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Even these birds thought so! A custodial CM and I stood and appreciated the birds appreciating the pools for a moment.
IMG_6955 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6956 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6958 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Some workers busy painting...there was outside and inside painting in places during our stay, but nothing obtrusive at all.
IMG_6959 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6960 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I met up with DH in the room, told him about my morning, and said "let's go to the pool!", and so we got ready and back down we went! They checked magic bands.

We had a wonderful time! I didn't take my camera or phone down. We enjoyed a very hot hot tub for a few minutes, and then stood under a waterfall to let the stream ease sore neck and back muscles. We got a kick out of a duck swimming along like nothing was out of the ordinary with a duck swimming in a swimming pool among people.

We took a trip around on the lazy river, and went down the waterslide a couple of times...so much fun! For those that don't know, you actually leave the pool gate and cross the boardwalk to get to the top of the waterslide...we felt like the path should have been sand! Not really but it would've been nice...I imagine they don't want a ton of sand in the slide though. The steps are killer, especially after you've been swimming awhile, but the two oldsters made it.

The CM at the top, a younger man, asked what our plans were in regards to Irma...we told him we leave Sunday morning anyway. He said he was staying, and he said it with a smile. That happened several times, I think many of the CMs were up for the challenge of weathering a hurricane at Disney World too! All were in wonderful moods.

For anyone's info: we found it better to sit on the waterslide rather than lie back...the seams of the tunnel always seem to hurt us.

I think the pool solidified it: Beach Club is DH's favorite resort (and my close second...I still love ya best, WL!!)

Fun and relaxation was had, but then we decided that we best get to Epcot, for what is a Food & Wine trip without actually going to the Food & Wine Festival?!

gdisneyfans

at this point that I got....the smell!! I inhaled deeply
I love that smell!!! We all inhaled deeply too when we arrived! We even have the Beach Club candle at home and it smells very similar - at least enough to give us a hint of what we miss:inlove: I can't remember where exactly I got it - maybe Walter & Rosie, but it's similar to this
BC Candle.jpg

Loving your report - especially your pictures! You took so many great ones at the BC. I only took a few, but really, really enjoying your photos! Can't wait to read more - glad you made it home safe and sound due to the circumstances.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I love that smell!!! We all inhaled deeply too when we arrived! We even have the Beach Club candle at home and it smells very similar - at least enough to give us a hint of what we miss:inlove: I can't remember where exactly I got it - maybe Walter & Rosie, but it's similar to this
View attachment 229638
Loving your report - especially your pictures! You took so many great ones at the BC. I only took a few, but really, really enjoying your photos! Can't wait to read more - glad you made it home safe and sound due to the circumstances.

OOh I am going to have to search for this!! And thank you for the compliments :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Picking back up where I left off...on the way to Epcot. It did start sprinkling a bit as we made our way through security a bit. Not enough to need the ponchos (that I carried around our whole trip and never needed, thankfully) but enough that I stuck a ziploc bag on my camera as I carried it around my neck. Only to find not even two countries away, it was missing. I felt really bad for inadvertently littering somewhere, but I had no clue I'd lost the baggie till later! I guess I can take heart knowing that DH and I pick up random trash that people are too lazy to find garbage cans for ON PURPOSE, so maybe I'm forgiven.

We were interested in the Tasting Sampler. For those that aren't familiar, you pay a price for a tag on a lanyard, which has 8 tear-off tabs that can then be used for any food item, with some exceptions of course. We debated whether this would be a good value for us given the items we knew we wanted to try, their prices, and also what the pin looked like that you got for free with this purchase. We always knew we planned on getting a F&W Festival Pin for this year, and I ended up liking it, so it was a good value for us, so we got it. We just tried to be choosy and use it on items that were on the more expensive side. We also picked up our Festival Passport.

IMG_6961 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6962 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I have some sort of compulsion to always take bird/duck/squirrel pics at Disney...
IMG_6963 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And here it is, our first item from this year's F&W!

Smoked Beef Brisket and Pimento Cheese served on Griddled Garlic Toast from Hops & Barley/ American Adventure
IMG_6964 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6965 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

So good, I took two pictures. DELICIOUS! We were pleased with our first choice. While we sat..(side note: there seemed to be a great lack of those standing tables they usually have around World Showcase...was that because of Irma, or did they take them away??) we listened to an acapella group on the stage...quite talented. There was also a large crane bird standing near us, staring at the singing group from afar, and he didn't. move. a. muscle. It was quite entertaining watching him...odd that I actually DIDN'T take a pic of this bird :rolleyes:

Our next selections were from the Italy booth:
Crispy Calamari (with spicy pomodoro sauce--all DH) and Spezzatino con Polenta (beef stew with parmesan creamy polenta -mostly for me but I shared). We liked both.
IMG_6966 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We knew we would be back for a larger portion of another day, so we only maybe wanted one more item, so we wandered around pondering. We stopped by one of our favorite merch booths that has been appearing at past festivals, called Rinse. They are from our area, but I never get to their shop here, so I always stop when we're at Epcot! I like their shower cakes for headache, colds, etc. I also picked up an oil roller for headaches too. They accept AP!

We passed by the entrance to World Showcase from Future World...we weren't sure if we would be going to FW at all this trip, so we thought we'd better grab a pic of Mickey now! I really liked the kabob and corn-on-the-cob details!
IMG_6967 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

My last selection was a dessert...The Tipsy Laird, from Scotland! It sounded good to me, plus Laird is actually my maiden name, so it was like I had to. The Tipsy Laird is a whiskey soaked cake with lemon cream and toasted oats. Very refreshing and not too-whiskey-soaked. We sat at the former Off Kilter stage to enjoy some shade. It had gotten quite warm out.
IMG_6968 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The joys of being married to a jokster: every time we passed the Rose & Crown, DH would say "hey, you wanna get some fish & chips?" :rolleyes:

DH never did get another selection this day, as we headed out of the IG and back to the resort for a few minutes, then it was on to Beach Club's bus stop for our trip to Magic Kingdom!

I do love the fall decorations. I noticed there weren't any jack-o-lanterns on the roof tops and window ledges on Main Street. There were a couple on the INSIDE of windows, but not out like usual. Again, not sure if this was due to impeding Irma winds or something they've changed??

IMG_6969 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6970 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We arrived around 3:00, and Main Street was not very busy at all!
IMG_6971 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

One of the things that I had on my must-do list was meet Merida. I try to always meet at least one character I've not met on a previous trip, and kept missing her on my last trips. So we took some pics on Main Street, and headed straight back to her location and got in line. The castle show began as we walked by:

IMG_6972 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6973 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Coming up: Our Merida Meet & Greet

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The standing tables at Epcot were removed in prep for Irma, as were the outdoor Jack
o'Lanterns at MK (which were in their usual places on my visit in late August.)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
The standing tables at Epcot were removed in prep for Irma, as were the outdoor Jack
o'Lanterns at MK (which were in their usual places on my visit in late August.)

Ah, thank you for clearing that up! We were hoping that was the case with both!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I love the little details all over Disney World, and Merida's M&G location was no different. We especially liked this errant arrow. (that sounds like a band name)
IMG_6975 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6974 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6976 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6977 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

She really took her time with each guest, it was so sweet watching the interactions! It was sweltering hot, but before long it was our turn...I had lots to talk to Merida about. First being, my maiden name. I told her it was Laird, and she asked if I had a tartan. (Side note: I haven't ever really seriously tried looking up a tartan for the name Laird, just because it seems strange to me that it even became a last name...it is a title, not a name). I told her no, and she said I would have to make one, and asked my favorite color, to which I replied yellow. And then she asked me what my married color would be, DH's favorite color, and he said red (no surprise, right @DRD ). Then she told me to add another favorite color, and I said gray...she didn't seem too impressed with that, but said it would work.

The other thing I had to tell her was that my sisters are triplets, just like her brothers (only I was all flustered and said I had three brothers, not sisters...I blame the heat). All in all, it was a really cute visit!
Screenshot_20170910-125346 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125402 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Look at the color of my face...did I mention the heat?
Screenshot_20170910-125425 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125505 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125524 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

What could make my red heat face look better? The purple wall!! I had to try it! I think it worked? For whatever reason, I wasn't sure if I had the right spot...though it was a purple wall, but I saw people further down the wall taking selfies, so I knew I had the spot!
20170908_154905 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We continued on into Tomorrowland for something DH hadn't done...at least not in awhile. He thinks he might have done it in the 70s...Carousel of Progress! We got stuck in the last scene twice, but it was still an enjoyable time, and time spent out of the heat of the afternoon.
IMG_6982 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6983 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After that, it was time for a ride on the TTA. We were VERY relieved that the conveyor belt was working!
IMG_6984 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6985 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The lights were on in Space Mountain
IMG_6986 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6987 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I was ahead of DH walking off of TTA, and when he caught up to me, he said that the female CM unloading was from the town I work in!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Time to head to our Anniversary Dinner at a new-to-us place, Skipper's Canteen! Our Anniversary was August 31st, so we were only about a week late!

I told myself not to take tons of pictures of the fall decor, because we've been a couple times in the fall now and I have lots of pictures, but I just had to take one on the walk across to Adventureland.
IMG_6989 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We checked in a bit early for our dinner, and inquired about the butterfly table. The CM checking us in said she would check to see if the guests sitting there had just been sat, or if they'd been there awhile, in which case we wanted to wait for the table. She said "no, they've only been there 45 minutes so that won't work but we'll sit you in the same room"....huh? Hoookay lady....seems like 45 minutes would be close to being done?

We were called like 2 minutes later, just long enough to get a drink of water from the cooler in the waiting area, and were sat near the butterfly table, where there were some people. Unfortunately, this was one of the cases I mentioned previously, where since we are only 2, we got the smallest 2-top table. The hostess, while leading us to our table pointed out the "high lights" of the restaurant...they have three! She also pointed out her favorite book on the shelves, Shades of Khaki. She told us our server would be Dani, and if we needed her, she would be the one dressed in khaki :joyfull:

Our server, Dani, came over to introduce herself and get our drink orders. DH looked at her nametag, and she was from our hometown!! Such a small town, and small world indeed. After we placed our drink orders, I got up to take some pictures, and the butterfly table was vacant!! :mad: A small gripe, I know.

The back of the menu
IMG_6990 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6992 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6993 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The book titles were very funny
IMG_6995 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6996 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6997 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

See the high lights?
IMG_6998 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH ordered the Schweitzer Slush
IMG_6999 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7000 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I just went with coke
IMG_7001 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We ordered and split the S.E.A Shu Mai (steamed pork, shrimp, edamame in gyoza skin), which were quite good, even though I'm not crazy about shrimp. Incidentally, we noticed that the plate was the same as Liberty Tree Tavern.
IMG_7003 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH is much more proficient at chopsticks than I...I tried, but resorted to a fork rather quickly.
IMG_7004 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH debated, because he doesn't really care for foods that are messy to eat, but he was brave (with Dani's encouragement) and went with the whole fish! Caution: fish eyes about to be staring at you!! He enjoyed this!

IMG_7006 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I went with the Tastes Like Chicken, Because It Is--and loved it! I would definitely order this again!
IMG_7007 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And here we are with Dani
IMG_7009 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We declined dessert, because we had other plans that would provide dessert. A picture on the way out:
IMG_7010 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Overall, we were very pleased with our dinner, and would eat here again. We both would definitely order what we had again, but there are also other things on the menu we want to try, so safe to say this will probably be repeated at some time in the future.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom