Trip Report In Before Irma! A September Beach Club mini-trip! *COMPLETED*

We are Amber (myhappyplace) and Dave (Mrhappyplace), married couple celebrating 4 years with a quick trip to the Beach Club Resort, from September 7-10. Our short little pretrip thread is available for reading if you want background.

Let's back up to two Fridays prior to our trip, when I woke up in the middle of the night with searing throat pain. I let it go Saturday, but by Sunday, with no improvement, I had to go to the minute clinic. Yep, Strep. I have been teaching toddlers for 16 years, and very rarely get sick other than a minor cold here or there, so this was surprising, especially since I hadn't been exposed to my knowledge. I was prescribed-and finished-my prescription.

Fast forward now, to literally hours before our departure time. DH stayed home on Wednesday, September 6th to get our cats boarded and the house ready for our being gone. I came home from work, we ate a quick dinner, packed up the car, then I headed to bed for a few hours. When my alarm went off, I woke up---to searing throat pain. Crap. I decided to let it ride, hoping maybe it would go away. Nothing was stopping us from heading Home to the World!

Including....

That beyotch, Irma.

We debated what to do, but...well, not really debated, as we were always pretty certain that since our trip was scheduled to end Sunday morning anyway, that we would be fine. I did insist on taking a bunch more food than we normally would, as well as 2 cases of water, lots of ponchos, and an entire bag of shoes for both of us (can't stand wet shoes if I can help it)! Suffice to say I was WAY more worried than DH was.

So here we go!

Thursday, September 7th
We left north Georgia at about 1:00 am.

Earlier in the week, I had reposted this meme on facebook, saying it was going to be DH and I:
irma.jpg

This was the stone cold truth. I felt sort of guilty! These people fleeing for their lives and we were heading on vacation. But we knew we would be back before it got near, so on we pressed!

Here are actual images, right when we first really started to notice the difference in the lanes. It built much more as we drove, exits were full, rest stops backed up.

[NOTE: The images in this first post are from my cell, because I hadn't gotten my actual camera out yet]
20170907_072337.jpg

20170907_072332.jpg

Dave drove until we stopped for gas somewhere in Georgia, The station was NOT very well set up with construction and confusing signage so it took us forever to actually get in the right place. Then there were people blocking the pumps. We have no clue if they had already gotten their gas or what, but there were about 3 or 4 cars, obviously together and each taking their own pump, but not actively pumping any gas. Just snapchatting, dancing, and being generally obnoxious. We lined up behind another vehicle and eventually got our gas. While I was in the restroom, someone else did finally yell at this group for taking up so much space when lots of people were trying to gas up. One of the main reasons we chose this gas station was because it advertised a McDonald's. McDonald's for this gas station apparently consisted of a plywood counter, where someone stood and served coffee. That was it. This whole gas station was a MESS.

After this stop, I took over and drove until Lake City, where we tried stopping again for breakfast and gas. Breakfast was at Burger King (we had coupons for b1g1 crossainwiches) There were some people getting out of their cars at the same time, who were caravaning together. The woman made sure to wind down her window, then told us that she had 4 rabbits in her vehicle, and the other vehicle had 2 cats. I'm sure that was a fun trip!

After we grabbed the breakfast to-go, we drove across the street for gas, but the pumps were bagged. So we drove across another road, where the gas station was incredibly backed up. We drove down the street, but couldn't find any other, so back to the backed-up station we went, got in line, and got to a pump fairly quickly. But the pump wouldn't work, and the woman beside us was also having issues.

Figuring we'd have to try an exit further down, we pulled out of the station, and then on a whim, tried another station on the other side of the highway. At first it didn't seem like it wanted to work for us either, until I realized that they probably weren't accepting credit? So I told DH to enter it as a debit, and it worked. WHEW!! I was so worried. So we're not sure if the previous station was out of gas, or was doing something similar with the credit/ debit. We had our gas and though it took WAAAAY longer than we anticipated, we were back on the highway, this time with DH driving.

FINALLY we see the light!!! (And no, I am not really complaining about the trip, as I said...I know, people were driving for life & death purposes, and we voluntarily chose to go on vacation. Just trying to add all the details and humor of our trip, is all!)
20170907_085818.jpg

We easily found our way to our home for the next few days- Beach Club!

The guard at the gate was an adorable older gentleman from somewhere in NY named Joe. He was excited to check us in because he had a new toy (ipad). He asked us for our last name (which is a Russian doozy of a name), and we began to spell:

Us: Z-A...

Joe: okay L...?

Us: no, Z-A..

Joe: L-A.

Us: no! Z!

Joe: L-Z!! (We have no idea where he got the L from).

We were laughing so hard. DH just pulled out his id and then he was able to type it in correctly.

We pulled up to the lobby, unloaded our luggage with bell services. The man then recommended that we go right then and top off our tank, so we did that quickly, came back, and parked. We had done online check-in, but wanted to let the from desk know that we were there this early. And our room was ready! Yay!

In-room pics (and more pics in general) coming up! Thanks for reading along!

Last edited:

Mrhappyplace

I avoided the movie back when it was in theaters and probably would have continued to avoid it if I hadn't bought a 3DTV. That was at that time the 3D disc to see so I sorta had to watch it. On first watch back then I didn't think it was a good movie but it looked pretty. On second watch a few weeks back it is a bad movie that still sorta looks pretty.

The problem I have with Pandora is that it mostly looks plastic. Lots of things look plastic to me around the parks but when it is wood decor, stonework or other inanimate objects it doesn't offend my suspension of belief. When objects that are supposed to be alive look plastic it just rubs my brain in a way that says this is all fake. Some of it is fairly impressive but all in all it is lifeless and lacking soul.

lostpro9het

I avoided the movie back when it was in theaters and probably would have continued to avoid it if I hadn't bought a 3DTV. That was at that time the 3D disc to see so I sorta had to watch it. On first watch back then I didn't think it was a good movie but it looked pretty. On second watch a few weeks back it is a bad movie that still sorta looks pretty.

The problem I have with Pandora is that it mostly looks plastic. Lots of things look plastic to me around the parks but when it is wood decor, stonework or other inanimate objects it doesn't offend my suspension of belief. When objects that are supposed to be alive look plastic it just rubs my brain in a way that says this is all fake. Some of it is fairly impressive but all in all it is lifeless and lacking soul.
giphy.gif

Its always nice basking in the aura of likeminded genius.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Ya'll got power? We in the dark :-( thankfully the college is closed today and weve been able to hang out here using up some of their wonderful fiber internet and power.

We lost power for about 1.5 hours yesterday from about 3:30-5. Our county hasn't had school yesterday or today, so that means I didn't either (child care which tends to follow county public school closings). Dave had off yesterday, but had to go in today.

Hope yours gets restored soon!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Continuing on...

We still had some time before our Na'vi River Journey FP, so we decided to take the path from Pandora to Africa. We meandered along, taking in the sights, and decided a viewing of Festival of the Lion King was in order, as the last show was seating. I lurve me some FotLK-my favorite show on property!

However, the tumble monkeys didn't go on :( So while I still enjoyed the show, it wasn't the same at all for me. I had heard that some shows didn't have all of the monkeys (there were only 3, so they danced but didn't do their stunts), but this is the first I'd experienced this. I also decided not to take too many pics, as I have a plethora from over the years, and wanted to just enjoy the show.
IMG_6874 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6887 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After the show, we walked back toward Pandora. We had been wanting to try the Night Blossom drink from the Pongu Pongu stand, so we did that. (this is a non-alcoholic drink made of limeade with apple and desert pear flavors and passion fruit boba balls). I thought the look fit Pandora so well, and we enjoyed this drink!
IMG_6889 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We took that drink over to the Satu'li Canteen, and ordered ourselves a Beef Satu'li Bowl with the sweet potato hash and the chimichurri sauce. Again, we enjoyed this, though we thought we'd try a different starch next time. It was PLENTY big enough for the two of us to share. The sweet CM getting our order also gave us two cupcakes for our Anniversary, very sweet. We knew we couldn't eat them, but didn't have the heart to turn them down, so we gave them to a family with two kids, who seemed very pleased and thanked us. We joked the rest of the trip that they probably went inside and pitched them...I'd like to think they didn't but who knows.
IMG_6890 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

FINALLY, it was time for our River Journey FP. The CMs seemed very excited to wish us Happy Anniversary as well as we entered.

First impressions were impressive visually, but I HATE that they squish 4 adults in those seats. I'm not saying I'm not pleasantly plump, but when you fit 4 adults, all of not teeny-tiny size, across there, it is super uncomfortable. And then to try to take photos...yeah. It didn't work and my photos are HORRIBLE (not only because of space reasons, I just suck at dark ride photos, lol)
IMG_6895 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6900 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6902 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back outside
IMG_6909 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I think these are the decorations that bothered DH the most
IMG_6910 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We tried waiting until it got a bit darker to be able to see Pandora all lit up, but with nothing to do...we got tired, and decided to head out instead. On the way back across the bridge, we noticed birds flying all in the same direction, only to see all of these birds in these trees...there were hundreds!! I felt pretty certain that they knew a hurricane was coming, but DH was pretty certain I was wrong :p
IMG_6911 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6913 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had no line and very little wait at our bus stop. We chose to get off the bus at the Yacht Club stop, and walk over to Beach. (We did that every other time in the future, too). On the way over my right side/ ribs started to hurt. We didn't put it together for a day or two, that it was probably from me leaning into the side of the Na'vi River Journey boat. It would continue to hurt off and on for the next few days.

Early bedtime for us!

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Glad you were able to vacation safely!! I couldn't imagine Disney World at the time.. I was obsessively watching the news all weekend!

Your balcony sounds super quaint LOL!

Happy anniversary!! :)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, September 8th

This morning, plans were for me to go to DHS solo for a bit, so that's what I did! I left DH sleeping, and started my journey. I decided I would take the boat, and made my way to the lighthouse dock at the Yacht Club. @fractal has mentioned before, but I ALWAYS still forget, to use my in-room hair dryer to warm my camera up. I of course hadn't, so was dealing with a steamed up camera. The co-captain CM, from Long Island suggested a dollar bill to clean the lens, as it wouldn't have lint. I tried, but in the end I just let it dissipate on its own.

IMG_6914 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Because my camera was still steamed up upon entry to the park, I didn't get a good shot of the Citizens of Hollywood entering for the day. I had to use my phone, and by then they were already past me.
20170908_084509 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Daisy and Donald were out; Donald had a small line, but Daisy didn't, so...
Screenshot_20170910-125208 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125229 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125243 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Guests were still stopped at the intersection, but it was not very crowded at all. Instead of joining them yet, I walked around the street, taking photos. I ADORE Hollywood Studios vibe/ themeing!!
IMG_6915 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I love that I still can notice things I've not noticed before
IMG_6916 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I remember looking at the time, and it was 8:48, and the next thing I knew, they were letting us go! I wasn't in a particular hurry because the park was empty!! I made the right hand turn, and most people went straight.

IMG_6917 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6918 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I took my time walking and taking pictures, greeting Cast Members (I hate it when other guests don't respond to their greetings). There is just something about walking through Hollywood early in the morning that I love!

IMG_6919 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Which would it be? Both were on my to-do list...Tower of Terror it was! (I figured if I needed, I could do single-rider at RnRC...spoiler alert: it wouldn't be necessary)
IMG_6920 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6921 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Love the way the queue looks all misty and spooky in the early morning
IMG_6922 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6923 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6924 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had an excellent CM...she said "While we wait, does anyone have any questions? Concerns? You should be VERY concerned" as the doors shut, and then she ran both of her hands down the windows of the elevator doors, to our laughter.
Screenshot_20170910-125312 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad you were able to vacation safely!! I couldn't imagine Disney World at the time.. I was obsessively watching the news all weekend!

Your balcony sounds super quaint LOL!

Happy anniversary!! :)

You and me both! DH kept laughing at me because I kept up with the Hurricane Irma thread on here religiously, when we both usually try to disconnect when we're at the World. But I had to keep checking the path etc. It did make for some very sparse crowds! I pray Florida & WDW never have to deal with a hurricane like that again, but if they do...apparently the days to visit are just before!

Quaint is a word that could be used to describe it. I almost set up my tripod to get a picture of us both out there, but didn't. I also almost took a pic of DH posing out there with one leg up on the rail, where his knee was basically in his ear because of the lack of space, but also didn't. I regret both decisions!

Thank you!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After my ToT ride, I headed toward RnRC. There was no single rider line open, because the wait was 5 minutes. They didn't even have us stop in the recording room, just head straight through to the alley (forgot to mention much the same at ToT...didn't stop in the TV room, just straight through to the furnace room).

First a pic of ToT from the RnRC queue
IMG_6926 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

There was so little of a line, they weren't even filling all spaces. I love this ride so hard...I giggle & scream the entire way through, which was EXTREMELY difficult with strep...throat still hurt.
Screenshot_20170910-125324 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6927 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And when have you ever been able to get this picture without people in front of it??
IMG_6928 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I mean, see?
IMG_6929 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Some more pictures as I wandered
IMG_6930 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I'd never seen it so empty, not even years ago
IMG_6931 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I am a child care teacher, and as such, I receive a TON of Starbucks cards, and I'm not a coffee drinker. But thanks to @TrolleyFollower91, I knew that I could use them for cupcakes and such at the Disney World Starbucks. And the one at DHS has one of my very favorite treats, almost always a must-do for me:
IMG_6933 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr
Butterfinger Cupcake!!

I grabbed a table behind the Starbucks, across the street from Trolley Car, to enjoy my cupcake. I chatted with my sister on the phone, as I watched a dark cloud roll in, and it started to rain, though lightly.
IMG_6932 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6934 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Luckily it stopped by the time I was done with my cupcake

I took this to remind myself that by 9:35 (actually about 9:30 because I didn't think to take the photo right away) I had ridden my two favorite rides, met Daisy, and had a favorite treat.
IMG_6935 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

It was time for me to make my way back to the resort to meet up with DH. I had told him to text me if he headed to the pool, but hadn't received any word from him. On my way out I encountered more Citizens of Hollywood
IMG_6936 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6937 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I took the boats back. It sprinkled one more time but even though I was on the back deck, I still enjoyed our ride.
IMG_6938 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6939 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6941 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

A shot of the construction between DHS and the resorts (gondola correct?)
IMG_6942 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6944 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6945 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back to the Yacht/Beach Club stop. We would be seeing this close up soon!
IMG_6946 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

fractal

Continuing on...

We still had some time before our Na'vi River Journey FP, so we decided to take the path from Pandora to Africa. We meandered along, taking in the sights, and decided a viewing of Festival of the Lion King was in order, as the last show was seating. I lurve me some FotLK-my favorite show on property!

However, the tumble monkeys didn't go on :( So while I still enjoyed the show, it wasn't the same at all for me. I had heard that some shows didn't have all of the monkeys (there were only 3, so they danced but didn't do their stunts), but this is the first I'd experienced this. I also decided not to take too many pics, as I have a plethora from over the years, and wanted to just enjoy the show.
IMG_6874 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6887 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After the show, we walked back toward Pandora. We had been wanting to try the Night Blossom drink from the Pongu Pongu stand, so we did that. (this is a non-alcoholic drink made of limeade with apple and desert pear flavors and passion fruit boba balls). I thought the look fit Pandora so well, and we enjoyed this drink!
IMG_6889 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We took that drink over to the Satu'li Canteen, and ordered ourselves a Beef Satu'li Bowl with the sweet potato hash and the chimichurri sauce. Again, we enjoyed this, though we thought we'd try a different starch next time. It was PLENTY big enough for the two of us to share. The sweet CM getting our order also gave us two cupcakes for our Anniversary, very sweet. We knew we couldn't eat them, but didn't have the heart to turn them down, so we gave them to a family with two kids, who seemed very pleased and thanked us. We joked the rest of the trip that they probably went inside and pitched them...I'd like to think they didn't but who knows.
IMG_6890 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

FINALLY, it was time for our River Journey FP. The CMs seemed very excited to wish us Happy Anniversary as well as we entered.

First impressions were impressive visually, but I HATE that they squish 4 adults in those seats. I'm not saying I'm not pleasantly plump, but when you fit 4 adults, all of not teeny-tiny size, across there, it is super uncomfortable. And then to try to take photos...yeah. It didn't work and my photos are HORRIBLE (not only because of space reasons, I just suck at dark ride photos, lol)
IMG_6895 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6900 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6902 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back outside
IMG_6909 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I think these are the decorations that bothered DH the most
IMG_6910 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We tried waiting until it got a bit darker to be able to see Pandora all lit up, but with nothing to do...we got tired, and decided to head out instead. On the way back across the bridge, we noticed birds flying all in the same direction, only to see all of these birds in these trees...there were hundreds!! I felt pretty certain that they knew a hurricane was coming, but DH was pretty certain I was wrong :p
IMG_6911 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6913 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had no line and very little wait at our bus stop. We chose to get off the bus at the Yacht Club stop, and walk over to Beach. (We did that every other time in the future, too). On the way over my right side/ ribs started to hurt. We didn't put it together for a day or two, that it was probably from me leaning into the side of the Na'vi River Journey boat. It would continue to hurt off and on for the next few days.

Early bedtime for us!

Love the photos!

As far as dark rides - what camera and lens were you using?

I did a video on shooting dark rides, but a "fast" lens really helps.

TrolleyFollower91

I am a child care teacher, and as such, I receive a TON of Starbucks cards, and I'm not a coffee drinker. But thanks to @TrolleyFollower91, I knew that I could use them for cupcakes and such at the Disney World Starbucks. And the one at DHS has one of my very favorite treats, almost always a must-do for me:
Disney cupcakes almost make our jobs worth it ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom