Trip Report In Before Irma! A September Beach Club mini-trip! *COMPLETED*

We are Amber (myhappyplace) and Dave (Mrhappyplace), married couple celebrating 4 years with a quick trip to the Beach Club Resort, from September 7-10. Our short little pretrip thread is available for reading if you want background.

Let's back up to two Fridays prior to our trip, when I woke up in the middle of the night with searing throat pain. I let it go Saturday, but by Sunday, with no improvement, I had to go to the minute clinic. Yep, Strep. I have been teaching toddlers for 16 years, and very rarely get sick other than a minor cold here or there, so this was surprising, especially since I hadn't been exposed to my knowledge. I was prescribed-and finished-my prescription.

Fast forward now, to literally hours before our departure time. DH stayed home on Wednesday, September 6th to get our cats boarded and the house ready for our being gone. I came home from work, we ate a quick dinner, packed up the car, then I headed to bed for a few hours. When my alarm went off, I woke up---to searing throat pain. Crap. I decided to let it ride, hoping maybe it would go away. Nothing was stopping us from heading Home to the World!

Including....

That beyotch, Irma.

We debated what to do, but...well, not really debated, as we were always pretty certain that since our trip was scheduled to end Sunday morning anyway, that we would be fine. I did insist on taking a bunch more food than we normally would, as well as 2 cases of water, lots of ponchos, and an entire bag of shoes for both of us (can't stand wet shoes if I can help it)! Suffice to say I was WAY more worried than DH was.

So here we go!

Thursday, September 7th
We left north Georgia at about 1:00 am.

Earlier in the week, I had reposted this meme on facebook, saying it was going to be DH and I:
irma.jpg

This was the stone cold truth. I felt sort of guilty! These people fleeing for their lives and we were heading on vacation. But we knew we would be back before it got near, so on we pressed!

Here are actual images, right when we first really started to notice the difference in the lanes. It built much more as we drove, exits were full, rest stops backed up.

[NOTE: The images in this first post are from my cell, because I hadn't gotten my actual camera out yet]
20170907_072337.jpg

20170907_072332.jpg

Dave drove until we stopped for gas somewhere in Georgia, The station was NOT very well set up with construction and confusing signage so it took us forever to actually get in the right place. Then there were people blocking the pumps. We have no clue if they had already gotten their gas or what, but there were about 3 or 4 cars, obviously together and each taking their own pump, but not actively pumping any gas. Just snapchatting, dancing, and being generally obnoxious. We lined up behind another vehicle and eventually got our gas. While I was in the restroom, someone else did finally yell at this group for taking up so much space when lots of people were trying to gas up. One of the main reasons we chose this gas station was because it advertised a McDonald's. McDonald's for this gas station apparently consisted of a plywood counter, where someone stood and served coffee. That was it. This whole gas station was a MESS.

After this stop, I took over and drove until Lake City, where we tried stopping again for breakfast and gas. Breakfast was at Burger King (we had coupons for b1g1 crossainwiches) There were some people getting out of their cars at the same time, who were caravaning together. The woman made sure to wind down her window, then told us that she had 4 rabbits in her vehicle, and the other vehicle had 2 cats. I'm sure that was a fun trip!

After we grabbed the breakfast to-go, we drove across the street for gas, but the pumps were bagged. So we drove across another road, where the gas station was incredibly backed up. We drove down the street, but couldn't find any other, so back to the backed-up station we went, got in line, and got to a pump fairly quickly. But the pump wouldn't work, and the woman beside us was also having issues.

Figuring we'd have to try an exit further down, we pulled out of the station, and then on a whim, tried another station on the other side of the highway. At first it didn't seem like it wanted to work for us either, until I realized that they probably weren't accepting credit? So I told DH to enter it as a debit, and it worked. WHEW!! I was so worried. So we're not sure if the previous station was out of gas, or was doing something similar with the credit/ debit. We had our gas and though it took WAAAAY longer than we anticipated, we were back on the highway, this time with DH driving.

FINALLY we see the light!!! (And no, I am not really complaining about the trip, as I said...I know, people were driving for life & death purposes, and we voluntarily chose to go on vacation. Just trying to add all the details and humor of our trip, is all!)
20170907_085818.jpg

We easily found our way to our home for the next few days- Beach Club!

The guard at the gate was an adorable older gentleman from somewhere in NY named Joe. He was excited to check us in because he had a new toy (ipad). He asked us for our last name (which is a Russian doozy of a name), and we began to spell:

Us: Z-A...

Joe: okay L...?

Us: no, Z-A..

Joe: L-A.

Us: no! Z!

Joe: L-Z!! (We have no idea where he got the L from).

We were laughing so hard. DH just pulled out his id and then he was able to type it in correctly.

We pulled up to the lobby, unloaded our luggage with bell services. The man then recommended that we go right then and top off our tank, so we did that quickly, came back, and parked. We had done online check-in, but wanted to let the from desk know that we were there this early. And our room was ready! Yay!

In-room pics (and more pics in general) coming up! Thanks for reading along!

Last edited:

lostpro9het

The guard at the gate was an adorable older gentleman from somewhere in NY named Joe. He was excited to check us in because he had a new toy (ipad). He asked us for our last name (which is a Russian doozy of a name), and we began to spell:

Us: Z-A...

Joe: okay L...?

Us: no, Z-A..

Joe: L-A.

Us: no! Z!

Joe: L-Z!! (We have no idea where he got the L from).

We were laughing so hard. DH just pulled out his id and then he was able to type it in correctly.

We pulled up to the lobby, unloaded our luggage with bell services. The man then recommended that we go right then and top off our tank, so we did that quickly, came back, and parked. We had done online check-in, but wanted to let the from desk know that we were there this early. And our room was ready! Yay!

In-room pics (and more pics in general) coming up! Thanks for reading along!

HA!!! We know joe: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...”-treat-yo-self-christmas-trip-report.908525/

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
This was walking across the bridge to the resort from the parking lot. I love the sea green color of the villa side of the resort.IMG_6812 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Some details
IMG_6813 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6814 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6815 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

It was about at this point that I got....the smell!! I inhaled deeply and happily as we entered the doors.
IMG_6816 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We were given Anniversary (or more accurately, Happily Ever After) buttons, celebrating 4 "Ears" from the CM giving us our room details. (I had not received a text, but ours was ready).
IMG_6817 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We were on the 4th floor. This was the space right off of the elevators
IMG_6818 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Our room:
IMG_6823 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6819 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Our view (we got one of those itty bitty pointless "balconies")
IMG_6820 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6821 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6822 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since DH did the majority of the driving, he wanted to lie down a bit (it was only right after 9am), so I went to explore the resort a bit more. I thought the gift shop entrance was cute, with the stairs and the beach house feel.
IMG_6824 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Wandering the halls near the DVC/ villa entrance:
IMG_6825 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6826 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back into the lobby:
IMG_6827 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6828 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Back up to the room to check on DH
IMG_6829 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Hidden Mickey in the carpeting:
IMG_6831 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And in the shower curtain, which I had forgotten to photograph until now:
IMG_6832 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH still needed a bit more rest, and I think I even laid down for 30 minutes or so, but I couldn't sit still knowing how short this trip was anyway, so I got ready for the pool.

I LOVED the pool!! I mean, who wouldn't?! The lazy river was a bit lazier than I like my lazy rivers, but still. I spent an hour I think at the pool
20170907_124037 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Ducks begging all over for food...wonder why they do that? Oh, right, because there are dopes who ignore all posted signs saying not to feed them!! This one came so so close to me, but by the time I went to take his picture he started to move on.
20170907_123619 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
It was sort of eerie, the calm before the inevitable storm, I guess. Seemed surreal to be sitting at a gorgeous pool, in Disney, on a sunny glorious day, knowing what was heading for the area in a few days' time. The pool area was not very busy yet, being early I suppose, but I could overhear some people at an umbrella table not too far away talking about the latest forecast/ spaghetti models. The guy in the conversation was totally dismissing the danger of Irma hitting WDW.

Nevertheless, I had a great pool time, and before long, went back toward the room to see if the mister was up. Of course, I snapped some shots on the way back (luckily I brought my camera)
IMG_6834 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

This hallway in the Beach Club gets me every time we visit. I simply MUST take a photo of these umbrellas, every time.
IMG_6835 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

A very empty lobby. Again sort of eerie, because I guess I had images in mind of tons of evacuees trying to get rooms or something. It was nothing of the sort.
IMG_6836 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

When I got back to the room, it was dark. I couldn't make out a shape in the bed, so I thought DH had left the room. I thought he would've texted me or something to let me know his plans, and just as I was about to turn on the light, he spoke, and scared me witless. He was in the bed, just hidden under all of the covers. Literally only his eyes appeared. LOL.

He was ready to get up and moving, so we showered and dressed for lunch. Where? One of only 3 restaurants we've repeated (since there are so many to choose from on property, we tend not to repeat)...how could we pass it up when it was our home resort this stay? Beaches & Cream!
IMG_6837 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We checked in about 10 minutes early for our 2:00 ADR, and were given a pager. We only waited about 5 minutes, and were paged. We were very pleased to find they were giving us a booth! Often times since we are only 2, we'll get the smallest 2-top table available at a restaurant...but nope, we had a whole booth to ourselves! The place was quite busy, which is mostly because of its small size. I would clear out as we ate.

IMG_6839 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6840 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The detailed ceiling
IMG_6842 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Now, I love a burger, and I love trying burgers from different places. And when I find one I like a lot, I tend to never NOT order the burger. Once I find something I love, I stick with it. But we'd looked at the menu prior to this trip, and I told Dave that I wanted to be strong enough to order something else...the grilled cheese and tomato bisque. And I did! And the sandwich was great, and the soup...DELICIOUS!! I will definitely have to get it again sometime. Our server was fine, though I had to remind her that I needed a spoon for the soup.

IMG_6843 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH went with the burger and fries (I stole a couple, because I could smell them from the pool earlier. That alone almost made me waiver on my decision to not go with the burger, but then I knew I could steal some of his, though the portion we found rather small.)
IMG_6844 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH with the camera:
IMG_6848 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6851 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Dessert time was next! I knew all along I wanted a No Way Jose, and DH went with the Grilled Banana Bread and Peanut Butter. BOTH were so so good. We sampled each other's. (SIDENOTE: the entire trip, we made sure not to share drinks or spoons for anything...desserts, food & wine items we shared, etc. Separate spoons and drinks, out of concern that I didn't want to share my what-I-was-sure-to-be strep recurrence)

Our server turned on the Kitchen Sink lights to announce our 4th Anniversary as she brought out our desserts, which we thought was sweet. And then she took our picture. That's her in the mirror!

IMG_6854 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

20170907_144828 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6855 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6856 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After a wonderful lunch, we went back toward our room to get ready for our afternoon plans. I needed to change clothes (shocker, I got some soup on my white top). On the way, I snapped some more photos of the lobby, from the second floor.

IMG_6857 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I love these chairs!
IMG_6859 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6860 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6861 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After changing, our plans took us to....Pandora! Our first time. The weekend prior to our trip, we rewatched, just so it was fresh in our minds. DH had lots of problems with the movie, it doesn't bother me, but it's definitely not something I'm crazy about. DH felt much the same about Pandora...unimpressed. I was much more impressed than he, some excellent imagineering in that area! It'll never be my favorite area but I liked it. Now that that is out of the way, on to the pictures!

It was VERY hot. There were several people under this structure for it's misting properties
IMG_6863 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I couldn't help comparing what it used to look like as Camp Minnie-Mickey. Remembering where Donald's nephews marched along the stream, etc.
IMG_6864 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6865 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Lots of things to look at, for sure! And I thought, and Dave agreed, that the sounds were pretty cool.
IMG_6866 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6867 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6868 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6869 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had plenty of time before our FP for River Journey, so we meandered around the shop.
IMG_6870 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6871 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom