In 2023 apparently a Haunted Mansion movie is coming out. Do you think Disney is going to add characters from the movie into the ride?

Do you think Disney will change the Haunted Mansion?

• Yes

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tanc

Original Poster
It already has happened to Pirates and I really hope they keep it as original as possible. Although the attic scene was changed long ago, I was thinking about it. Obviously the 2003 Haunted Mansion film just would not have been a good addition.

I always thought that changing Pirates to revolve around Jack Sparrow was an extremely disappointing change. It's sad I never was able to experience Pirates in its original glory long ago.

Cmdr_Crimson

tumblr_ne4o5aJywE1qz9wlpo1_500.gifv
No....

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think it’s going to depend on how the movie is received. If it’s a blockbuster I say we’ll see inclusion into the ride. And prolly a whole bunch of tie ins with other locations in Liberty Square. Possibly a new cupcake too.

If it flops. Then not likely.

It’s kinda a mixed bag for me. I really like HM. I want to see the movie do well and have it lead to some more presence. But not to the point where they fundamentally change the spirit of the ride.

Dr. Nigel Channing

The Jack Sparrow inclusion in POTC never bothered me. Two of his appearances are so subtle they could be easily missed. You hear his name a few times, and the final appearance was a plus to the ride, not replacing anything major for fans of the original. The theme and feel of the original still remains intact, imo. Barbossa's inclusion fits the pirate he replaced, if not better. It felt like just enough to give fans of the movie and the original attraction a quality ride to enjoy.

If HM ends up getting a movie tie-in that is no more distracting than that, I am OK with it. If they start talking Nightmare Before Christmas level overhaul like out west, I may die a little on the inside.

WorldExplorer

That would depend on if the movie is a success.

The last I heard of that thing it was being written by someone who worked on Ghostbusters 2016, and I don't think they could have found a more worrying pick if they tried, so unless it ends up being surprisingly non-sucky, I'm going to hope for a box office bomb. A really big one.

Last edited:

celluloid

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Mansion_(2023_film) Should have went with Del Toro"a script and premise.

Ghostbusters 2016 and The Heat script writer with a story that is mostly the past attempt with Eddie Murphy.

Not much faith there.

The version that could have been could have given us a good film and neat updates, but at least this pitch seems that it will be another meh attempt that does not change much.

yensidtlaw1969

Hope they dont fool with HM. It doesnt need a new character. HM setting is meant to be from a certain time line and adding a newer figure out of a movie would mess with the theming.
Depends on who the new character is - If you're talking Owen Wilson's character then no, he wouldn't fit, but if you're talking about some new Ghost character from the movie then perhaps there's room for one more.

That said, I'm not holding my breath when it comes to this movie. I'm sure I'll go see it, and my understanding is that the sets are fittingly fabulous, but I don't have much faith that the new movie's going to win me over much more than the last one did. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I think they've once again taken the wrong tack for the property. The Haunted Mansion is ultimately very funny, but not in the way a contemporary comedy is.

yensidtlaw1969

Since we're on the subject, it sounds like Jamie Lee Curtis may be playing Madame Leota (!!!) and Jared Leto may be playing The Hatbox Ghost (???):

OG Runner

I voted NO, only because I think it will depend on how the movies go. They did not add Captain Jack until
the Pirates movie did well. They have done a prior Haunted Mansion movie that did not do well, therefore,
no changes to the ride.

Walt Disney1955

Haunted Mansion in 2003 was that timeframe when Eddie Murphy was doing a lot of flops. Heck, he tried, I'll give him that. But this is not how it normally works. I could be wrong but is there only three rides that inspired movies in Disney (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise)? If that is the case, Pirates was incredibly successful and had a very popular character that everyone can name, and even in that case he was only added very sporadic throughout the ride. At the end is where he shines, and that takes nothing from the original Pirates, I don't think. But if a movie franchise is that popular, I think you'd have people wondering why Captain Jack Sparrow isn't on the ride. So they balanced it out well.

Jungle Cruise did alright, but definitely not popular enough to add even someone like the Rock in there. So I can't see how this happens with Haunted Mansion, considering they already made a flop of a movie with it.

celluloid

Haunted Mansion in 2003 was that timeframe when Eddie Murphy was doing a lot of flops. Heck, he tried, I'll give him that. But this is not how it normally works. I could be wrong but is there only three rides that inspired movies in Disney (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise)? If that is the case, Pirates was incredibly successful and had a very popular character that everyone can name, and even in that case he was only added very sporadic throughout the ride. At the end is where he shines, and that takes nothing from the original Pirates, I don't think. But if a movie franchise is that popular, I think you'd have people wondering why Captain Jack Sparrow isn't on the ride. So they balanced it out well.

Jungle Cruise did alright, but definitely not popular enough to add even someone like the Rock in there. So I can't see how this happens with Haunted Mansion, considering they already made a flop of a movie with it.

I want to begin with this that I think this attempt will be inflated and just as much of a blah as the first attempt.

To continue though:
Haunted Mansion's failure was not that heavily on Eddie Murphy. It was how he was written and directed as well as the other odd choices of the movie.

Eddie Murphy has more hits than flops.

Don't forget it was released right between Shrek and Shrek 2's years of 2001 and 2004. Dr. Dolittle came just five years prior as well as his hit with Disney Mulan pre his voice work on Shrek's media.

I think your thinking more of Norbit and Meet Dave films, which were flops and came years after Haunted Mansion.

I also want to take this time that there are some genuinely good parts of Meet Dave. That movie deserves a watch from a lot more people and had some of the creative minds behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 involved.

yensidtlaw1969

I want to begin with this that I think this attempt will be inflated and just as much of a blah as the first attempt.

To continue though:
Haunted Mansion's failure was not that heavily on Eddie Murphy. It was how he was written and directed as well as the other odd choices of the movie.

Eddie Murphy has more hits than flops.

Don't forget it was released right between Shrek and Shrek 2's years of 2001 and 2004. Dr. Dolittle came just five years prior as well as his hit with Disney Mulan pre his voice work on Shrek's media.

I think your thinking more of Norbit and Meet Dave films, which were flops and came years after Haunted Mansion.

I also want to take this time that there are some genuinely good parts of Meet Dave. That movie deserves a watch from a lot more people and had some of the creative minds behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 involved.
I think the issue is that the character of Jim Evers was both pretty unappealing and a bad tonal fit for the subject matter. The Haunted Mansion is a far more interesting subject for a movie than a workaholic dad. It felt like two very different movies were jammed together, giving neither a real shot at being successful.

I worry that the new movie is headed down a similar path. All this business about a single mom buying the Mansion and hiring a tour guide, a psychic, a priest, and a historian to help exorcise the place . . . how many not-dead people do we need in this house? Who goes to a Haunted Mansion movie for the LIVING characters??

I'm sure there will be plenty of ghosts, but with so many name actors playing non-ghost characters I worry their focus is once again in the wrong place. Any haunted house movie worth its salt knows the real main character is the house itself. And in the case of The Haunted Mansion, they had 999 characters to choose from to focus on in it, and again made it about the only people who aren't haunting the house. Seems like history repeating itself. But I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Thank goodness for Jamie Lee Curtis as Madame Leota, though. That seems like it could be a bright spot.

You'd think a dark, quasi-comedic period thriller in the vein of the first Pirates movie was just begging to be made. Disney seems to afraid to take a risk on this property, despite the IP having some of the riskiest material in their canon and despite that clearly being a big part of its popularity. The ride only lightens up after they've sufficiently tricked you into thinking you're gonna get scared out of your wits. It's the dark heart of The Magic Kingdom and the movie should reflect that.

Last edited:

ppete1975

I really hope they do it right and go with the lore of the mansion and ADD to the history and story. But with the cast and what little we have heard I am concerned. As in it looks like it will lean more into comedy than a spooky movie. To me haunted mansion should be a more serious movie, thats spooky, without gore or violence (so it can be a family film), I really dont want slapstick.

If the movie goes off of whats in the mansion and adds to the lore maybe a connection to SEA, then im all for a few small easter eggs. More of a plussing than a change, id hate for a massive change to any of the scenes that isnt something like the hatbox ghost.

OG Runner

They have done the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay in Disneyland though.
Who knows, I am thinking it going to totally depend on how popular the movie
is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom