News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

peter11435

But does it make sense to have a large planter in the middle of a walkway right after the new security area? Small planters are one thing. But I guess I'm just not realizing the amount of space :/ lol. If you think it's fine then I guess it will be. I just truly thought they were moving it to a different spot. Oh well.
How do you know it will be a large planter? Could be several smaller planters? We really don’t know yet.

ImperfectPixie

How do you know it will be a large planter? Could be several smaller planters? We really don’t know yet.
I don't. I was under the impression the large planter would be relocated. Apparently I'm wrong.

All I did was express concern about size and walking space and being confused about what I thought I knew, lol. No need to be so dismissive ...
I was under the same impression, so I get it. I'm super curious as to what the plan is though, because by the water would have looked really nice if Mickey was facing into the park...it would have been a great photo spot.

peter11435

I don't. I was under the impression the large planter would be relocated. Apparently I'm wrong.

All I did was express concern about size and walking space and being confused about what I thought I knew, lol. No need to be so dismissive ...
Not trying to be dismissive. Just pointing out that there is plenty of room and any number of ways that the Mickey topiary could be moved post security. You can’t simply move a concrete planter. It has to be demolished and rebuilt so it could be rebuilt to work seamlessly with its new location.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You can’t simply move a concrete planter.

halltd

But does it make sense to have a large planter in the middle of a walkway right after the new security area? Small planters are one thing. But I guess I'm just not realizing the amount of space :/ lol. If you think it's fine then I guess it will be. I just truly thought they were moving it to a different spot. Oh well.
Could never be coming back for all we know!

tonymu

Premium Member
If it is rebuilt inside of the security canopy it would make for a better photo spot with the Art Deco entrance with Disney's Holleywood Studios sign as the background vs the security canopy as the background. The area after security looks huge, so there would be plenty of space for it and it would break up the massive slab of concrete between security and entrance gates. I envision it looking something like this. Just my guess.
Hollywood Studios Entrance2.jpg

Kman101

If it is rebuilt inside of the security canopy it would make for a better photo spot with the Art Deco entrance with Disney's Holleywood Studios sign as the background vs the security canopy as the background. The area after security looks huge, so there would be plenty of space for it and it would break up the massive slab of concrete between security and entrance gates. I envision it looking something like this. Just my guess.
View attachment 370305

I'm just not a fan of it there. But I don't make these decisions ;) It would have been better by the water where the flags are. JMO!! lol

Since when has everyone been concerned about a massive slab of concrete? It's not THAT huge of an area that it "needs to be broken up" ...

tonymu

Premium Member
I'm just not a fan of it there. But I don't make these decisions ;) It would have been better by the water where the flags are. JMO!! lol

Since when has everyone been concerned about a massive slab of concrete? It's not THAT huge of an area that it "needs to be broken up" ...
If it was where the flags are against the water then you would not be able to take pictures in front of it with the park entrance as the background. The background of the photo would then be the water and then be bus stop shelters, restroom building and buses. Also the flagpoles would be too tall to get in a lot of the photos so you would have the three awkward poles in the picture and it would make it harder to put the Christmas tree there with the flagpoles. Just my thoughts.

raymusiccity

Agree. Anyway, most of the Studio already consists of concrete slabs. Probably the hottest and shade free of all the Parks.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, May 11, 2019. Several updates here at three different park entrances.

At Hollywood Studios, the characters in the original landscaped planter at the entrance have been removed.

IMG_1321.JPG

At Epcot, the pavement and curbing, including the landscape in the center of the tram pickup/drop off area, is gone now.

IMG_1313.JPG

At Epcot, most of the pavement in the tram area, under the monorail station, is gone now. In the below photo, this was the pedestrian crosswalk area from the parking lot to the entrance.

IMG_1314.JPG

At the Ticket and Transportation Center, the concrete for the vehicle barriers in the tram pickup and drop off area is being removed now.

IMG_1322.JPG

nicb88

If it was where the flags are against the water then you would not be able to take pictures in front of it with the park entrance as the background. The background of the photo would then be the water and then be bus stop shelters, restroom building and buses. Also the flagpoles would be too tall to get in a lot of the photos so you would have the three awkward poles in the picture and it would make it harder to put the Christmas tree there with the flagpoles. Just my thoughts.

The Christmas tree now goes on the ‘island’ in Echo Lake.. or at least it has done the last few years! :)

Kman101

That's a very good point. With the area open now I can see there's plenty of room.

Kman101

I’m a little surprised they didn’t add a cover to the tram load/unload at HS. Wasn’t the point of all of this improvement to add shade and comfort? Other than that it looks great in person. I’m just surprised because aren’t they adding a shade structure to AK’s new tram load/unload?

peter11435

I’m a little surprised they didn’t add a cover to the tram load/unload at HS. Wasn’t the point of all of this improvement to add shade and comfort? Other than that it looks great in person. I’m just surprised because aren’t they adding a shade structure to AK’s new tram load/unload?
The point was to improve the arrival and security experience. I think this does that even if no structure. Shade would have been nice but not necessary. The majority of time guests spend waiting in the sun for trams is done along the route in the parking lot upon arrival. Where shade structures aren’t really practical. During the day there is generally a tram to quickly board when leaving. Most of the waiting in that location is done at the end of the night when shade isn’t really needed.

There are no plans for a shade structure for Animal Kingdoms tram load.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom