News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

jaklgreen

I don’t totally disagree, and certainly there is a percentage of people who just clearly are not ever aware of their situation.

However I would also say that perhaps if you haven’t heard the CM it’s because you're one of the thousands of people who are making their first trip to the world, and are more worried about where you children, partner, and grandad are wandering to, where you put the tickets and where the nearest toilet is for your 3 year old kid.

Not everyone who goes to the parks is lucky enough to be a Disney veteran like the majority of people on this site. Therefor not everyone arriving at the parks for the first time will understand that those green rather temporary tents house a full on security screening process.

More sinage (any signage) would help. More CM before the security line explaining would help. And yes, more consistency across the parks at the security line would help.

I honestly don't think anything would help. People don't see signs, especially if there are too many of them. If a cast member, with the microphone, is saying over and over what you should be doing and you still don't get it, a sign is not going to make a difference. And first time visitors should be the most observant of anyone, since they do not know what the procedures are. Too many people just live in their little bubble and have a hard time processing everything that is going on. Many are far from observant and need someone to tell them where to go. Signs help, but only for those who are looking for them. We have a side door at the place that I work that is an employee door. There is nothing on the door or surrounding the door that indicates that it is the entrance to our business. The only thing that is written on the door is "please use other door" with an arrow pointing toward the main entrance. Every single day, dozens of people come through the door and are shocked that they are behind the counter.

TrainsOfDisney

well it’s not really up to you is it? A few years ago you didn’t have to remove your wallet and phone before entering the parks. Who knows what is coming next!

Kman101

Are they still planning on manually checking the bags with the new security procedures? Universals airport style scanners are clearly far superior and more efficient to Disney's system.

They really should go to this method. But machines cost money ;)

Kman101

Regarding signage, one of the biggest improvements would be overhead signs for anything of merit as opposed to the temporary sandwich board signs sat on the floor that you can’t see in a crowd of more than half a dozen. Hopefully when these projects are completed each park will have a welcoming, efficient and state of the art entrance facility.

That would be nice.

I do agree with other posters that they do a terrible job explaining how security works. Yes, most of us should be aware (I am), and many have gone through airport security (I go through security to visit a museum in New York ...) but at the same time, it wouldn't hurt to have signage that's clear to see. And honestly, a lot of times all the CMs and "security" do is yell at guests.

Maybe they also shouldn't have been in a rush to tear down wait time signs in the parks. Notice how it's made a comeback with "Guest Experience" (when they had that to begin with and got rid of it for FP+ people). I can somewhat credit them for bringing that back, but at the same time, it was a quick cut that shouldn't have been cut to begin with.

BoarderPhreak

Give me $10 and I will. Can't promise you'll like what you see though.
😮 🤣

Haha. I was saying Disney could ask you to take your belt and shoes off tomorrow if they wanted to.

I’ve been asked to take my hat off at Disney screenings before so you never know (just a regular Disney hat, no pins).
Oh! Well, yeah... You could be hiding a machete under that hat! 🤪

trainplane3

😮 🤣

Oh! Well, yeah... You could be hiding a machete under that hat! 🤪
Having had this happen? I absolutely remove belt, watch, even rings.
THEN, I spend a good amount of time at the "tray" putting everything back on :).
I've gotten pulled aside due to hand sanitizer setting off the swab they used on my hands. I got put in a special room and everything. They had to do the whole "I'm going to use the back of my hands on your front" explanation routine. There were a couple police outside hanging out that were surprised to see me getting a pat down (I worked at the airport then).

Last edited by a moderator:

tissandtully

That would be nice.

I do agree with other posters that they do a terrible job explaining how security works. Yes, most of us should be aware (I am), and many have gone through airport security (I go through security to visit a museum in New York ...) but at the same time, it wouldn't hurt to have signage that's clear to see. And honestly, a lot of times all the CMs and "security" do is yell at guests.

Maybe they also shouldn't have been in a rush to tear down wait time signs in the parks. Notice how it's made a comeback with "Guest Experience" (when they had that to begin with and got rid of it for FP+ people). I can somewhat credit them for bringing that back, but at the same time, it was a quick cut that shouldn't have been cut to begin with.
My favorite part of the security check is the inconsistent instructions. Sometimes my Apple Watch sets off the metal detector, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, the security tells me next to to just hold up my arms higher. I do that one time then I get yelled at by a security guard for holding up my hands while going through the scanner.

Kman101

My favorite part of the security check is the inconsistent instructions. Sometimes my Apple Watch sets off the metal detector, sometimes it doesn't. When it does, the security tells me next to to just hold up my arms higher. I do that one time then I get yelled at by a security guard for holding up my hands while going through the scanner.

It isn't consistent at all. They really need to get more professional security. I get why they're likely burnt out and grumpy (trust me, I worked retail for over 10 years, I understand almost completely what they go through), but it's not a fun entrance to the park. I have no issues with security being present and I'm always ready with my pockets empty so I'm very quick, and haven't had a truly bad experience, but at the same time, I see how they treat folks and I also see how chaotic it can be (I joked about taking off my belt one time and I got a really nasty response that "you don't take them off in the airport do you??"). Universal's is crowded but it's never really chaotic (of course everyone's experience can be different!). If they truly want guests to have a better experience entering the parks, fix the security problems (and I don't mean just more shade and nicer permanent structures, but that will help)

Patcheslee

It isn't consistent at all. They really need to get more professional security. I get why they're likely burnt out and grumpy (trust me, I worked retail for over 10 years, I understand almost completely what they go through), but it's not a fun entrance to the park. I have no issues with security being present and I'm always ready with my pockets empty so I'm very quick, and haven't had a truly bad experience, but at the same time, I see how they treat folks and I also see how chaotic it can be (I joked about taking off my belt one time and I got a really nasty response that "you don't take them off in the airport do you??"). Universal's is crowded but it's never really chaotic (of course everyone's experience can be different!). If they truly want guests to have a better experience entering the parks, fix the security problems (and I don't mean just more shade and nicer permanent structures, but that will help)
I had good: security bowing to the "princess", polite. Bad: DD8 separated from us when DH was pulled for the metal detector, I was still in the bag check line (she didn't notice DH wasn't with her so kept walking to our meetup spot, CM did catch up to her thankfully). And embarrassing: security loudly announcing all items in my bag with comments including "Tampons: hope you don't need those today." 🙄 thanks guy

TrainsOfDisney

I was once told I had to go through the no-bag line since I didn’t have a bag. I wanted to wait in line with my mom who needed to have her purse checked. We are regulars, it wasn’t worth arguing about so I just went over but this type of thing really bugged me. For one, Disney security doesn’t know anything about me or my mother. One of us could have a disability that means we want to stay together to assist the other. Or, we simply want to stay together while visiting a crowded environment.

As for the belt... my belt always sets off the alarms in California. For some reason Disneyland security wants people to leave their belts on, I just secretly remove it and plop it into the bin before anyone can say anything. I’d much rather take my belt off than get asked to “step aside” for a wanding.

jaklgreen

I had good: security bowing to the "princess", polite. Bad: DD8 separated from us when DH was pulled for the metal detector, I was still in the bag check line (she didn't notice DH wasn't with her so kept walking to our meetup spot, CM did catch up to her thankfully). And embarrassing: security loudly announcing all items in my bag with comments including "Tampons: hope you don't need those today." 🙄 thanks guy

WOW. I think that I would have marched right up to guest services with his name about the tampon comment. Sheesh. Nobody wants their personal life on parade.

Patcheslee

WOW. I think that I would have marched right up to guest services with his name about the tampon comment. Sheesh. Nobody wants their personal life on parade.
I was already running behind for a TS, the Epcot monorail being down 40 minutes started day off late, so by the time I was done with the security clown I just wanted to get my food. You'd think a feminine product would be a sign for security not to test someones patience lol.

bpiper

I was already running behind for a TS, the Epcot monorail being down 40 minutes started day off late, so by the time I was done with the security clown I just wanted to get my food. You'd think a feminine product would be a sign for security not to test someones patience lol.
My Wife has found that when she has a feminine product in her purse, as soon as the security guy sees it, he closes up the purse and says "Your all set".... If its on top, he goes no further....

ThatMouse

I hope they finally make a decision and finish this whole area. It was always a parking lot converted into 4 or 5 different things with chain link fences and barriers. I always come out of Poly thinking "can we still go thru here??"

BoarderPhreak

My Wife has found that when she has a feminine product in her purse, as soon as the security guy sees it, he closes up the purse and says "Your all set".... If its on top, he goes no further....
img_4310.png

Though I suspect that such an item in MY bag might raise more questions than answers. 🤣

Wow, the temporary walk to the TTC looks terrible. Might as well just park at Epcot now.
Have you SEEN what they've done to Epcot? Jeez. Though walking is certainly better than a tram these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom