Impending Pirates lap bars?

FettFan

1. Take it with a grain of salt. The "Daily Fail" has a reputation for posting BS news stories. (warning: language)
They also have a nasty reputation for plagiarism.

Not a reputable source for information. (especially in the link you posted where they misidentify Captain Hook's Pirate Ship as "Pirates of the Caribbean")

2. It won't happen. Not in Paris, not in America. One stupid parent letting their kid get killed is not going to make Disney change what has worked for years. Hint hint: A child cannot "lose their balance" if they are sitting still with their butt on a boat bench.

3. If this is a true story....the child's name wouldn't be George, would it?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I don't get the correlation of how lap bars benefit during the loading and unloading process?

I never have been a fan of the design of the loading and unloading process of Pirates or Small World. Nothing to really hold onto as you drop from deck to boat and step up in reverse. Having had two small kids it is hard to have the right leverage to get them on and off and keep your own balance. I can easily see how this could have happened.

Disney imagineered a much safer loading, exiting process for Living with the Land.

MerlinTheGoat

It sounds like this incident happened when the boats were loading/unloading. Lap bars will never be able to ensure safety during those situations. Lap bars are to ensure people don't try to jump out while the boats are moving through the ride.

The Empress Lilly

You just have to question society then if lap bars are indeed needed to be installed on POTC....

:confused:
Eurotrash / Arabtrash at DLP. (Not necessarily this boy, don't know what happened there)

I'm happy if I make it through an entire Paris' Pirates or Small World ride without people standing up constantly (or screaming, or taking endless flash pictures, or assaulting other guests, or etc). Last time I rode Small World in the first room a woman stood up, at the front of the boat, faced backwards, and filmed her family behind her for the entire ride. And sod the other dozen people in the boat whose ride was ruined.

Cmdr_Crimson

At least they don't pry your eyes wide open while riding IASW..
clockwork-orange-eye-i4-01_460_250_80_s_c1_zps9dcf3ec6.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/disneyland-paris-accident-5-year-old-injured_n_4178670.html
This article goes a bit more in depth about the situation, sounds like their version might be seeing lap bars soon, but that doesn't translate to us having them. After all we got lap bars for splash and disneyland's version never got em.
Disneyland's Splash Mountain has considerably different boats than the ones from Florida or Japan. It may be more difficult to add lap bars to Disneyland's Splash Mountain due to the different design (dunno how hard). As far as i'm aware, all versions of Pirates use the same type of boats. If one version gets lap bars, it will probably be pretty straightforward to add them to the other ones around the world.

Absimilliard

Disneyland's Splash Mountain has considerably different boats than the ones from Florida or Japan. It may be more difficult to add lap bars to Disneyland's Splash Mountain due to the different design (dunno how hard). As far as i'm aware, all versions of Pirates use the same type of boats. If one version gets lap bars, it will probably be pretty straightforward to add them to the other ones around the world.

Indeed. Splash Mountain use regular log flume boats, while WDW and TDL Splash Mountain use custom boats running on a WDI designed and built ride system. Look at how ridiculous the lap bars retrofitted to Dudley Do Right at IOA are and those would be the only kind possible on the boats DL Splash Mountain currently have. But, those boats have a slight advantage, due to the seating position. Your legs being stretched out make it more difficult to get out especially since you would not have rails to hold on to like in the stations.

For Pirates, DLP version does not use the same ride system. DL, WDW shared the same Arrow ride system and originally boats. For TDL, my guess is a japanese made clone of the Arrow ride system. The DLP version is an Intamin water dark ride shared with Its a Small World there. The boats are different.

Based on what I know, the easier solution to the DLP accident based on what I read would be to add higher seat backs or head rests to the last row of the boats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom