Imagineering Majors

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
So, I know there area lot of younger people on this forum. So I have a question for everyone...what majors and/or minors are/will you be considering in college to help build your possible career and influence in the theme park industry?

Edit: YAY! This is post 900 for me!

MA Screamin'

Architectural Engineering, and then possible a Music Production minor.

I love the looks of every attraction, and I do feel like they are a crucial part pf the experience. Knowing that I more or less like engineering, I think it would be cool to help create new and innovative designs for visuals of theme parks, big or small.

Because music is a love of mine, knowing how to better create songs would help me compose, but in the Imagineering department, wouldn't it be cool to be able to pretty much play around with sounds?

@jdmdisney99 , because I'm only a little kid, what do you think about these choices?

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Architectural Engineering, and then possible a Music Production minor.

I love the looks of every attraction, and I do feel like they are a crucial part pf the experience. Knowing that I more or less like engineering, I think it would be cool to help create new and innovative designs for visuals of theme parks, big or small.

Because music is a love of mine, knowing how to better create songs would help me compose, but in the Imagineering department, wouldn't it be cool to be able to pretty much play around with sounds?

@jdmdisney99 , because I'm only a little kid, what do you think about these choices?
I'm thinking about a double major in electrical engineering and architectural engineering, and double minoring in business management and animation. Your choices seem like good ones.

MA Screamin'

I'm thinking about a double major in electrical engineering and architectural engineering, and double minoring in business management and animation. Your choices seem like good ones.

Oh, I didn't know you could double up! Business management sounds cool, but could you elaborate why you might choose that?

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Oh, I didn't know you could double up! Business management sounds cool, but could you elaborate why you might choose that?
Well I figured I'd major in the engineering fields so I would know what I was talking about when discuswing the technologies in attractions. I decided to minor in animation because I also like art and would be interested with backing up in the field, and using it as creative motivation in the industry. Finally, I decided to minor in business management because I thought it would give me new skills that are needed for an executive, if I were to become one through promotions (whether in theme parks or not).

MA Screamin'

Well I figured I'd major in the engineering fields so I would know what I was talking about when discuswing the technologies in attractions. I decided to minor in animation because I also like art and would be interested with backing up in the field, and using it as creative motivation in the industry. Finally, I decided to minor in business management because I thought it would give me new skills that are needed for an executive, if I were to become one through promotions (whether in theme parks or not).

Nice! Storyboards are a important part of the Imagineering process, so animation will help! Business management makes more sense now, thanks.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I double majored in Computer Science and Classical Studies to focus on my future career as an Imagineer. I am also about to start on my Master on Computer Science. While it seems like an odd combination, Classicist have a keen attention to detail and lends it self to studying architecture,culture,music, and other aspect of life which can be useful and replicating a world that mesmerizes people. I am current working in a weapons lab which to be honest has helped me realize the importance of testing and combing over every detail with a fine tooth.

Voxel

The issue with the Yeti was the lack of foresight. They built this animatronic Yeti inside a mountain without anymeans of fixing it without taking the entire thing apart which would mean closing the ride. What they should have done was not gone with a traditional animatronic and developed something more modular and easier to fix in a situation like this.

KeithVH

That's not root cause though. That's really secondary/tertiary reason why it hasn't been fixed. Maybe somebody should have picked a better compressive/shear-resistant material. To know what to pick they should have foresaw and diag'd force vectors the structure would sustain. Then maybe it wouldn't need fixing in the first d_mn place.

lazyboy97o

The issue with the Yeti was the lack of foresight. They built this animatronic Yeti inside a mountain without anymeans of fixing it without taking the entire thing apart which would mean closing the ride. What they should have done was not gone with a traditional animatronic and developed something more modular and easier to fix in a situation like this.
The figure is quite accessible. The biggest issue with fixing it is who is at fault for it breaking and must pay for the fix. Without a powerful figure who can demand it to be fixed then the various groups will just continue to fight.

Voxel

That's not root cause though. That's really secondary/tertiary reason why it hasn't been fixed. Maybe somebody should have picked a better compressive/shear-resistant material. To know what to pick they should have foresaw and diag'd force vectors the structure would sustain. Then maybe it wouldn't need fixing in the first d_mn place.

Not even perfect calculations can fix a butchered construction. If you build before the foundation has cured properly your dooming yourself which is what happened with the Yeti.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom