Imagineering and $$$

Jr Imagineer

Original Poster
Hello, I was just really curious to how much a.. lets say an Architectural or Conceptual Designer at Walt Disney Imagineering would make on average??

Also I am currently enrolled at the University of Toronto studying Architecture (Design) and Fine Art (History of Art) and I was wondering if I am heading in the right direction to help in the design of Theme Parks?? Is it necessary for me to get my Masters degree in Architecture or will an Honors B.A with a double major in Architecture and Art History be substantial? I am also considering attending college for design after I graduate.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated because I'm kinda trying to uh.. PLAN MY LIFE!! haha

Thanks

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
umm.. i'll answer this as best as I can.

WDI hires out of glendale, CA and celebration, FL for its positions. A masters is preferred, and be advised, you will make less working for WDI (up to 15% less) than you will working at another firm.

Since I work for WDW and not WDI, i'm sorry I can't answer this better

copper

Architectural Degree

In the states, there are two ways you can go inorder to get an architectural degree. First, there is a Bachlor of Architecture, which is a 5 year program. After completion, you must work for a licenced Architect for 3 years inorder to qualify for the Arhitectural licensing exam. After passing the exam then you can practice as a Licencened Architect, not until then. If you get just a 4 year Bachlor of Science, then you have to work for a licenced Architect for 5 years before you can take your licensing exam. Becoming an architect involves many aspects, not just design and art history. Construction and engineering are very important! Make sure you're enrolled in an accredited arhitectural program. I'm speaking from experience, I went to NYIT school of Architecture in NY but switched majors to B.F.A. in Graphic Design. The math in the Architectural program was a killer!!!! I know that not every imagineer is an architect but they all must be cutting edge designers of some sort. Check out the NYIT.com website for info. on the school of architecture. I hope i've been helpful and good luck.

NowInc

..lets see if i can maybe inject some help into this...

I got a master in media arts/animation and a minor in architecture, and had a few courses in anchient civilzations...i interviewd at WDI...and got rejected. They were nice about it and told me WHY...

Simply..you have to be the BEST at what you do..your degree only gets you the interview..your skill gets you the job...They told me that although I had great work and amazing creativity, they didnt "need" me at that particular time...even tho I didnt get the job, it was the best interview I ever had.

As for salary...you would be kinda dissapointed at how little they are willing to pay you..and lets not forget that WDI isnt exactly a "stable" job...lack of job security makes it an iffy choice in my opinion...and with every budget cut...out goes more imaginners...just keep that in mind.

Oh..and it never hurts to have a few contacts inside the company..to have someone push you thru the door really makes a difference..in ANY job...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom