Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald takes over the creative direction of Epcot

Virtual Toad

@wdwmagic, Do you have any concrete evidence and/or sources to back up the statement that WDI wants to return Epcot to its roots, or is that statement just wishful thinking (because it is something many of us are wishing for)?

Not trying to nitpick, I'm just genuinely curious about the genesis of that statement and want to know exactly *how* optimistic we should be. :)

Last edited:

articos

@wdwmagic, Do you have any concrete evidence and/or sources to back up the statement that WDI wants to return Epcot to its roots, or is that statement just wishful thinking (because it is something many of us are wishing for)?

Not trying to nitpick, I'm just genuinely curious about the genesis of that statement and want to know exactly *how* optimistic we should be. :)
WDI has wanted to get Epcot back on track for a while. The statement is not wishful thinking. Fitz is being shuffled for a reason. Tom has a love for Epcot, and understands the park. Disney moves slowly, but Epcot is on the radar.

Animaniac93-98

But yes, there is a desire in WDI to get Epcot back on track.

I believe that's been implied for some time now, but the major point of concern has always been "who's paying for it?"

At some point Disney will have to realize the amount of corporate dollars the park once enjoyed is never going to come back and any changes they want to make will have to be funded by themselves. It's why I think more character based stuff will come to the park because it's an easier concept for the higher ups to buy into.

TeddyinMO

Consider the timing... Iger's due to step down in 2016. That means he no longer has to focus only on the shareholder return -- of course, he can't forget it, but he's bought himself some time with the incredible run he's been on. Now, he can focus on legacy building. He's completed DCA, he's building Shanghai, the movie division is flying high and Marvel is huge with Star Wars looming on the horizon close behind. MM+ is mostly implemented and NFL has expanded MK capacity. AK is well on its way with Avatar too. The last step is to fix Epcot, DHS and Paris (which we've seen rumors of this week too). Is it possible that he is wanting to make his legacy complete and really bust Potter land on the way out? I am no insider, but from a business, executive, and even an ego standpoint, it makes a lot of sense. And, he's certainly built up a ton of goodwill with shareholders to do just that.

roj2323

What's with all the skepticism? I thought this line alone would have given you a joyous heart attack:

"Disney is poised to begin a major re-Imagineering of Epcot, looking to restore the original intent of the park in both Future World and World Showcase."

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts!!

Hopefully they will start with canceling the color wheel Repainting project of Invoventions and paint it something that is clean and appealing. In short, I'm not a fan of salmon color it has been for years but the Technicolor motif looks cheap.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom