Imagineer Forum News Center - Spotlights and Important Links! Updated 2021!

Outbound

Original Poster
IMPORTANT LINKS
colorful disney GIF

Hello and welcome! Here you will find important links and forum spotlights. Scroll below to find the most recent forum post, or browse the thread chronologically, starting with the 2019-2020 Season.

New Imagineer Introduction Thread
2020-2021 Season
2019-2020 Season
2017-2018 Imagineering News Center
2016 Imagineering Appendix
2015 Imagineering Appendix
2014 Imagineering Appendix
2013 Imagineering Appendix

01.jpeg

Fall 2020

Welcome back to the Imagineer Forum Newsletter! With much going on around the forum, this will not only be a recap of some of the top events of the past few weeks, but offer a sneak peak at the road ahead.

02.png

As the houseguests enter Week 9, we are down the final 6 contestants as one of the top players in the game @D Hulk was shockingly eliminated in the last round. Now the houseguests must design a 2nd park in the Blue Sky Disney Resort.

You can keep up with the brainstorming here, and listen to the most recent review postcast for Week 8 here.

03.jpg

While @D Hulk might have been vanquished from his chance of another competition title, his personal Disneyland 3rd park project, DisneySky, is getting rave reviews and has garnered over 16K views as of today. You can join in the fun here.

---------------------------------

While 2020 has definitely not been a charmer in the real-world, on the bright-side this forum has never seen so much activity. From the new, eager faces to the consistent brainstorming, it's one bright note to take out of this year. With that...we also approach the end of the year, and look ahead to next.

Here's a sneak-peak at something to look forward to in the new year...

---------------------------------------

04.png

---------------------------------------

Former First Post:

Welcome all to the 2019 Imagineering News Center!

New Imagineer Introduction Thread
2017-2018 Imagineering News Center
2016 Imagineering Appendix
2015 Imagineering Appendix
2014 Imagineering Appendix
2013 Imagineering Appendix

We may be a bit late- we just passed the 1/3 mark of the year- but we gotta start somewhere. This past quarter was dominated by the Sorcerer's Apprentice: Endgame.

118863.jpg
117529.jpg
111855.jpg

The community thanks the judges for putting it all together.

Now that the Endgame has concluded, we are seeing an overall increase in activity as our talent is spread across a variety of threads and competitions. Let's take a look.

A group has come together to create a unified "Calendar" for the 2019 Year. The Calendar will be repeatedly updated as the year advances.

The One Sentence Competition, Season 5
osc-png.362434

The One Sentence Competition is quickly becoming a staple of the forum. With host @FireMountain this season introduces a new twist- no parks.

Unfortunately, inactivity has led the competition to be placed on standby. It should restart in the next couple of weeks.

The Great Movie Ride II
img_0654-jpg.327769

The Great Movie Ride is preparing its second season, once again hosted by @Disney Dad 3000 . We expect the competition to begin this month, and will likely run into July.

The Star Rod Competition
7BJEAz0znmNAV9LFuZb8z4jZ1668ZbU_H6Kv4di7UlI5Q_gvDEQxeXXQPZIRKiR9MnsqRtYvv5ERho-29ix3K7Yq3rLaM05Gt54rWMbG7r_cZwJhCdOXp4zv0VlIi6GFhJYtXjLw

This competition puts the players in the control of prompts. It will be hosted by @TwilightZone and is planned to launch July 1st.

There are no plans July-December. This will undoubtedly change once we approach Autumn. If anyone is planning something for the Fall, please let us know for the Calendar.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice VI

2000px-Mickey_Mouse_head_and_ears.svg.png

The grand finale. Coming next decade.

Calling all artists! Would you like to design a forum-wide logo for this year? The process is easy: make a logo, reply below with the logo, and we will decide which is best. Your logo will then proudly be presented in front of every future spotlight.

For reference, here are the logos of year's past:
2017logo-png.178718

2018-01-06.jpg

This is a new tradition, starting today. Every week, a thread will be selected for our special honor.

67560.jpg

This week's Thread of the Week goes to Mirror Disneyland- An Alternate History by @MANEATINGWREATH . The thread chronicles an alternative "perfect" history of Disneyland with inspiring attention to detail. Below is a link.

Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week? Reply with your suggestion!
Just don't vote yourself :p

latest

Last edited:

Outbound

Original Poster

Every week, a thread will be selected for our special honor.

101686.jpg

This week's Thread of the Week goes to Walt Disney World: New Horizons by @DisneyManOne . This new thread is inspired off last week's TOTW and imagines a perfected Walt Disney World. To view the current thread of the week, just click on the picture!

Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week? Reply with your suggestion!
Just don't vote yourself :p

latest

Outbound

Original Poster

There is great inactivity. Finals week approaches, and so many armchair Imagineers are left without time. Those that are left must fend for themselves...

c5943364e33b56b512195e23cb496d010608743ecdfed2b8a73a983ba738d6c2.jpg

In other news, Game of Thrones is the new Last Jedi!

NEW FACES
124268.jpg

WDWMAGIC got a new Imagineer this week... though he's already a "well-known member"!
Please welcome @NickWilde !

Every week, a thread is selected for our special honor.

100690.jpg

This week's Thread of the Week goes to Worldwide Disney From Scratch by @orlando678- . The thread has an ultra-ambitious goal of reimagining the entire Disney lineup. Orlando has already reached New Orleans Square in Disneyland with no sign of stopping. Best of luck with this project!

Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week? Reply with your suggestions!

latest

Outbound

Original Poster

Hello everyone! For this week's spotlight, I'd like to discuss what happens behind the scenes.

The decision to revitalize the "newsletter" into a spotlight came from @spacemt354 , on a discussion PM for planning out the forum's future. From there, we each set out to create the first post. I foolishly volunteered to post, and ever since we've been operating on a consist Friday schedule! Well, over the past month I hope this thread has "made new members feel good while also spicing things up a little bit."

Now let's talk about the Thread of the Week. Although I will prioritize recommendations, my current system for deciding the award is simply ranking all the threads on the forum in the past week.

This gives me a good idea of the runner-ups. I sort by replies and by views. If by some chance I have not read one of the threads in question, I will do so now. After that, I determine which one is most deserving of the Thread of the Week!

101686.jpg

This week's Thread of the Week goes to Disneyland Maine: Revitalized by @DisneyManOne - our first double winner! This is an older thread that halted progress just as last year ended. But as of this May, it's made a return! The resort is currently in the midst of a studios park, with Muppet Studios the topic of the day.

Promo-mgm.jpg

Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week? Reply with your suggestions!

latest

spacemt354

Chili's

For the second time in the last month - MEW's take on an alternate Disneyland history gets the nomination for thread of the week. The amount of passion and dedication to the craft of designing the 'perfect' theme park has been a trait of MEW's since the very beginning, and his continued work goes to show that if you can dream it you can do it!

Go check out the Mirror Disneyland thread if you haven't yet - and have a great week!
latest

Outbound

Original Poster

One Little Spark- Season 2: The Quest for More Views by @PerGronStudio and @Outbound

107415.jpg
125687.jpg

Dreamfinder's Ship has been stolen once again, this time by two! Now everyone's welcome aboard for an extended imagineering party. But SEA's hot on our trail! This competition is designed as a fun, summer event that is less intense than the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Nevertheless, one contestant will ultimately reign supreme- so sign up today!

latest

Outbound

Original Poster

Outbound

Original Poster

Now that I've finished judging One Little Spark, I'm back to the Thread of the Week! In this thread, I want to have put an emphasis on the community. So if you have any ideas or comments, please post them below.

This week's special thread goes to @mharrington for his
Toontown Open Brainstorming Series! Over the last few weeks, Mharrington has created a series of open brainstorming threads each dedicated to a certain part of Mickey's Toontown. He shows great determination, always updating each thread with his own thoughts and ideas, even when they are not given the attention they deserve.

Although these smaller enhancements might not be for everyone, I strongly encourage you to take up the challenge. It's a surprisingly difficult- because it is so simple, you need to work within a limited space armchair Imagineering typically avoids. You'll find the link to the latest thread below.

8791.jpg

LATEST THREAD: Overhaul of Goofy's Playhouse in Mickey's Toontown (open brainstorming)
---
Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week?
Submit your Weekly Nomination Here!

And Until Next Time...

mharrington

I think most are more interested in the “imagine” over “engineering” part of imagineering. Which is fine, but I’d still encourage trying out the other side. :)

Yeah, me, too. Whenever possible, I try to be as realistic as possible, which means trying to fit my ideas into spaces available. It's really no fun to come up with an idea for a park, only for it the spot for said idea to be claimed by something else. A perfect example is something from a long time ago. Long before Toontown Fair was replaced by Storybook Circus, I had had an elaborate idea for improving it into something like Disneyland's Toontown. When I see some of these things that other people put up, I can't help but feel envious that I could never really do as great as they do, especially since any ideas they have may or may not be realistic.

I posted a thread that basically asked why they didn't try this "other side" you spoke of: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/blue-sky-vs-all-else-but-mostly-constraints.897813/. Their argument, and a reasonable one at that, is that they don't always have the resources to approach it properly. And another argument is that their ideas are set in a fictitious, unrealistic place. None of this is ever actually going to happen, so why let sizing, space limitations, funding, etc., get in the way? At least that's their take on it. They argue that they might take these more seriously if they were real Imagineers who do this not just fun, but also for money from Disney, but until then, they prefer to not let anything get in the way.

No, these ideas will probably not happen, which is a shame, but I at least try to set up my ideas as if they could happen.

Last edited:

Skipper2

Yeah, me, too. Whenever possible, I try to be as realistic as possible, which means trying to fit my ideas into spaces available. It's really no fun to come up with an idea for a park, only for it the spot for said idea to be claimed by something else. A perfect example is something from a long time ago. Long before Toontown Fair was replaced by Storybook Circus, I had had an elaborate idea for improving it into something like Disneyland's Toontown. When I see some of these things that other people put up, I can't help but feel envious that I could never really do as great as they do, especially since any ideas they have may or may not be realistic.

I posted a thread that basically asked why they didn't try this "other side" you spoke of: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/blue-sky-vs-all-else-but-mostly-constraints.897813/. Their argument, and a reasonable one at that, is that they don't always have the resources to approach it properly. And another argument is that their ideas are set in a fictitious, unrealistic place. None of this is ever actually going to happen, so why let sizing, space limitations, funding, etc., get in the way? At least that's their take on it. They argue that they might take these more seriously if they were real Imagineers who do this not just fun, but also for money from Disney, but until then, they prefer to not let anything get in the way.

No, these ideas will probably not happen, which is a shame, but I at least try to set up my ideas as if they could happen.
I know the feeling, but it doesn't stop me from making my plans for how my version of a realistic MK would look considering engineering and imagination both. If it's fun don't stop.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/making-the-tta-wedway-major-league.938536/

mharrington

I know the feeling, but it doesn't stop me from making my plans for how my version of a realistic MK would look considering engineering and imagination both. If it's fun don't stop.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/making-the-tta-wedway-major-league.938536/

Well, that's the thing with me: it's no fun if it's not doable. Like I said, I have ideas, sometimes big ones, but I try to fit them to preexisting structures, rather than the other way around, as a lot of people prefer to do here.

And by the way, I saw that TTA WEDway thread. It looks cool, but considering that it has been altered to go through many structures throughout the park, it doesn't realistic. Not to mention, how can something as futuristic as that fit into something like, say, the Haunted Mansion or Small World? I also have a sneaking suspicion that it would compete with the WDW Railroad.

Skipper2

Well, that's the thing with me: it's no fun if it's not doable. Like I said, I have ideas, sometimes big ones, but I try to fit them to preexisting structures, rather than the other way around, as a lot of people prefer to do here.

And by the way, I saw that TTA WEDway thread. It looks cool, but considering that it has been altered to go through many structures throughout the park, it doesn't realistic. Not to mention, how can something as futuristic as that fit into something like, say, the Haunted Mansion or Small World? I also have a sneaking suspicion that it would compete with the WDW Railroad.
Hidding it in places like the HM is fairly easy, one way glass type of thing. Engineering wise not a complex issue just a very expensive one. Cantilever support systems for where the tracks run against/thru existing structures as to avoid placing supports inside exisiting ride footprints. Lighter track base and supports systems for areas where the park crowds can't see the tracks allowing for longer spans between supports. Newer ligher materials (more expensive). My most UN-realistic aspect is cost. Cutting into existing structures twenty to thirty feet in the air to add sound, light and weatherproof viewports from a TTA track platform that requires copius amounts of electrical power, and ADA regulatory compliance to boot will be very hefty price per foot. Escape systems for able bodied is easy, for the invalid not so much so increased cost of system and structures. Removing exisiting support infrastructure in the backstage areas is another cost to be considered. What electricals and other utilities will be disrupted and require relocation? Additional costs again, but from a strictly nuts and bolts can it be engineered. From an engineering point of view it isn't a challenge of how it's a challenge of for how much. Unfortunately that is the real world dilema that has killed may a project from WDI, they had the knowledge, tech, and ability but not the luck to be able to convince the accounting types on the WD Co Board o D to part with the money.

On the inside the TTA only gets a few seconds of sight line through one way glass or from behind the direction of travel of the targeted rides passengers pov so they never see the TTA at all since it never crosses the field of view.

Making the TTA theme into Frontierland is going to be a trick. Fantasyland not so much because of the route. Adventureland it stays hidden from the foot traffic crowds almost completely.

As for competition with the WDWRR one goes clockwise the other counter, one has 3 stops the other 4, one will serve food the other won't. The train makes a loop in 25min and the TTA will take almost an hour. I love trains and would never want to see the WDWRR go anywhere except expanded.

It's Doable just very very very not cheap.

mharrington

Hidding it in places like the HM is fairly easy, one way glass type of thing. Engineering wise not a complex issue just a very expensive one. Cantilever support systems for where the tracks run against/thru existing structures as to avoid placing supports inside exisiting ride footprints. Lighter track base and supports systems for areas where the park crowds can't see the tracks allowing for longer spans between supports. Newer ligher materials (more expensive). My most UN-realistic aspect is cost. Cutting into existing structures twenty to thirty feet in the air to add sound, light and weatherproof viewports from a TTA track platform that requires copius amounts of electrical power, and ADA regulatory compliance to boot will be very hefty price per foot. Escape systems for able bodied is easy, for the invalid not so much so increased cost of system and structures. Removing exisiting support infrastructure in the backstage areas is another cost to be considered. What electricals and other utilities will be disrupted and require relocation? Additional costs again, but from a strictly nuts and bolts can it be engineered. From an engineering point of view it isn't a challenge of how it's a challenge of for how much. Unfortunately that is the real world dilema that has killed may a project from WDI, they had the knowledge, tech, and ability but not the luck to be able to convince the accounting types on the WD Co Board o D to part with the money.

On the inside the TTA only gets a few seconds of sight line through one way glass or from behind the direction of travel of the targeted rides passengers pov so they never see the TTA at all since it never crosses the field of view.

Making the TTA theme into Frontierland is going to be a trick. Fantasyland not so much because of the route. Adventureland it stays hidden from the foot traffic crowds almost completely.

As for competition with the WDWRR one goes clockwise the other counter, one has 3 stops the other 4, one will serve food the other won't. The train makes a loop in 25min and the TTA will take almost an hour. I love trains and would never want to see the WDWRR go anywhere except expanded.

It's Doable just very very very not cheap.

So you're saying, then, that the only obstacle to this elaborate TTA concept being real is the cost?

I don't take costs into account with my ideas either, but that's mainly because I have no idea how much they will cost, although my ideas are probably not that cheap either. But then, I guess my ideas are more grounded in reality, which is to say, they are nowhere near as elaborate anyone else's ideas here.

Skipper2

I like dreaming big, with big money. I draw the line with tech that doesn't exist. Physics that can't work. Spaces that are to small for a ride to fit in. Trying to fit 3 E ticket attractions into the space that should only hold 1 C. I do try to hold onto the concept of what can be done. I'm retired and bored so elborate consumes time and that is good for me.

Outbound

Original Poster

Starting now, the Thread of the Week will cover two weeks, to allow for more overall threads on the subforum. I was originally intending on posting this last Friday, but something came up, and I had to wait until now. Thanks for waiting!

This week's special thread goes to @Skipper2 for his great thread on Making the TTA Major League. This project began with a spark - what if the PeopleMover returned proper, what if it went around the entire park, and what if on this tour of the park you could eat food? And from there, it goes on to provide page upon page of detailed imagineering - all towards how this could logically be done. Recently, they have used Planet Coaster to show how it would work - not unlike how a real imagineer might use a 3D modeling program! Overall, this is a gold standard for attractions - adapting a great spark into a realistic yet fun project. Congratulations!

46331.jpg

Making the TTA (WEDway) Major League
---
Interested in nominating a future Thread of the Week?
Submit your Weekly Nomination Here!

And Until Next Time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom