Imagineer doing an AMA on Reddit right now...

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
You'd think a site as popular as Reddit would have a better layout than the most primitive chat rooms on Prodigy.

I think trying to follow topics there is HORRIBLE, especially on a phone. Unless I don't have sorting right or something, it's constant scrolling up and down just to see what posts are tied to what.

bhg469

Reddit is how my friend got on people's radar regarding the new star wars movies. Drunkenly sharing a little too much information. Suddenly people knew his name and were asking crew members about him.

Mouse Trap

If there's one thing Reddit is good for it's finding out what articles/videos going to be popular on Facebook 2 days later. It's like an odd crystal ball to what will be trending in the near future.

And anyways, so what if this guy is faking it? He gets some upvotes on reddit, hour of fame and we never hear from him again. Real or not let him enjoy himself. No one here was really expecting an Imagineer (real or fake) to start spilling secrets left and right. That would've been our dead give away.

PhotoDave219

When you do an AMA stating that you are an employee of a specific kind/employer, you show the mods your company ID next to your face or with another kind of photo ID. Y'all's suspicion of the poster is not as warranted as you think it is.

Meh, I'm still calling BS until I get proven otherwise.

MarkTwain

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he legitimately worked for Imagineering at some point. Still, I would hardly describe someone that did contract work for Imagineering as being a true "Imagineer" in the purest sense of the word. Contracted hires still work for their parent company, they still primarily report to people at the main office, and many would consider themselves an employee of their parent company first and of Disney second.

Many contracted hires end up at Disney just because the hired company had some spare hours for a few employees sitting around, not because those employees show any true love or knowledge of Disney. That would explain why the guy is getting a few details wrong (not that it can't happen with full-time Imagineers either).

Not to diss the guy too much… Still, I think he's generally correct that Disney won't crack down too hard as long as he doesn't give valuable information away; I just think he's being a bit, well, reckless.

PhotoDave219

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/wiki/proof

I don't get what some of you don't understand. If its verified by moderators its pretty damn well true. Go through his post history if you really don't believe the man, it all lines up. If the man has had some year long plan and agenda to push then he may have some problems, but I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah.... Imagineer's Company IDs look just like everyone elses.

Figments Friend

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he legitimately worked for Imagineering at some point. Still, I would hardly describe someone that did contract work for Imagineering as being a true "Imagineer" in the purest sense of the word. Contracted hires still work for their parent company, they still primarily report to people at the main office, and many would consider themselves an employee of their parent company first and of Disney second.

Many contracted hires end up at Disney just because the hired company had some spare hours for a few employees sitting around, not because those employees show any true love or knowledge of Disney. That would explain why the guy is getting a few details wrong (not that it can't happen with full-time Imagineers either).

Not to diss the guy too much… Still, I think he's generally correct that Disney won't crack down too hard as long as he doesn't give valuable information away; I just think he's being a bit, well, reckless.

Yep.
Exactly the point i was touching lightly on with my earlier post, but i like your more thorough version.
:)

This person is likely someone who did a short stint of contract work for WDI and decided to enjoy a little attention or interaction that can be had by someone using such a title.
You can see it worked - he has certainly gotten everyone's attention here!

WDW1974

FYI. Mostly about Shanghai at this point, but it could be interesting to get some answers from an anonymous imagineer about some of the stuff we question here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3e7i0z/iwasan_imagineer_amaa/

I'm more interested in seeing YOU post than what you posted about. Actually had planned an email to see what was up with you, which you should still expect later.

Looked at this briefly earlier and my feeling is the guy is genuine and since he said absolutely nothing of consequence it was one of two things:

1.) He just wanted to talk to people and be cool; or
2.) Disney social media had some purpose and put him up to it (couldn't help but notice that he talked up Micechat, which has over the last year pretty much stopped putting out anything remotely controversial about Disney -- Andy Castro largely does his ripping of them on the Twit feed -- and hasn't put out one bit of hard news in 2015 about anything Disney).

Either way, it was much ado about very little.

Pirouline

I'm not familiar with Reddit, but I assume there is no verification that these people are who they say they are? So nothing stopping anyone from hosting one of these things?
I rarely use Reddit, but I do know that they have to send proof to the admins before doing an IAma.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I dont play on Reddit.

And he's given enough information away about himself - started in a landscape architectural firm, worked in Shanghai and now is over at Disney Studios AND posting from a company computer? He's begging to get fired.
He didn't post any Proof and half way through he says he doesn't work at WDI and is in Film now.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Well..... Did. Pretty sure he gave enough away that he could be easily identified. Also he used a company computer - Total rookie move.
Really is.. There was another one a year or two ago, the guy went back a few hour and deleted all of his photos because Disney came down hard on him.

PhotoDave219

Really is.. There was another one a year or two ago, the guy went back a few hour and deleted all of his photos because Disney came down hard on him.

So just a word of warning to all my CM friends who peruse these forums.....

Don't use a work computer. Don't use Disney's network. Don't post anything personal wherein you can be traced back and identify you.

Corporate is watching.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom