I'm Just Sick Over The Great Movie Ride

Florida_is_hot

The animatronics are pretty darn bad. Some of the worst ones are in it. The end of the ride with movies played like one huge TCM ad. We rode it in June and I admit, I won't miss it. It was pretty bad.

You know the Wizard of Oz when you are on the Oz set ..... I can not help but smile every time
Though I do agree more articulated animatronics maybe 3d effects would have brought new life to the attraction.

They could do what ever they want to for the Micky Mouse thing by replacing the Fantansmic Scene
Too bad I will never see it again. :(

KBLovedDisney

Somehow it always seemed the most dusty attraction. I mean that literally. It was coated in dust in places.
I do agree with this. It really just needed some extra TLC. IMHO, it would have been just wonderful if they just updated the ride with new AAs, movie scenes, etc. Gave it a new coat of paint, and made a grand re-opening...that would have been amazing!

correcaminos

You know the Wizard of Oz when you are on the Oz set ..... I can not help but smile every time
Though I do agree more articulated animatronics maybe 3d effects would have brought new life to the attraction.

They could do what ever they want to for the Micky Mouse thing by replacing the Fantansmic Scene
That scene is cute, but sadly it can be dependent on the CM as well. That is the only scene that was decent though. The rest? I'm honestly glad it's being redone into something else.

John park hopper

GMR the last of the MGM studio attractions. It is unfortunate that over the years Disney did not update and make relevant for today. Overall it was a good glimps of the history of movies I dare say many are not familiar with. Like many I am sad to see it go but look forward to something new. Hope Disney makes it a good one

Magenta Panther

They could have updated the AAs for sure. At least make the Judy Garland AA actually look like Judy Garland. And Gene Kelly like Gene Kelly, Sigourney Weaver etc...And replaced the Mickey scene with the Oz tornado scene as was initially planned and as described by Martin...

AndyS2992

Meh, I've never been much of a fan. The ride is dated, the film choices are dated, I'm sure they are great but a lot of other newer great movies have come along since then. It's stale and time for a change and since I love the Mickey Mouse shorts I can't wait for the new attraction to open.

Last edited:
I am going to miss GMR...it was a always a great break from the heat and humidity as your travelled through the various scenes and movies.

Considering the style of animation that is replacing it, I am definitely not looking forward to the new attraction that is going there. I am not a fan of the new "throwback" Mickey TV show and I wasn't a fan of the Mickey Short that is playing as part of the "Disney-Pixar Short Film Festival Epcot"...

I'm torn on this one. I have always enjoyed GMR and rode it (as it turns out for the last time) in December. I must say it felt quaint and dated that last time, and I walked off it thinking if they didn't do anything to update it, I probably would forgo it in the future. Given so many of the attractions at DHS have been shuttered, honestly, it was one of the few things to really do there. I'm sad that it is going away completely (as was pointed out above, it was one of the few attractions left that focused on movies/movie making). But, given how dated it felt, if it was going to just stay the way it was, then I'd rather see it replaced with this new Mickey and Minnie ride than just become less relevant.

JusticeDisney

I keep seeing folks call The Great Movie Ride "dated" over and over. How is it dated? And before anyone says it's because the movies are old, I flat out reject that. The most recently opened and most popular ride in Magic Kingdom is based entirely on an 80 year old movie. Is 7Dwarfs Mine Train "dated"?
So let me see if I have this straight. You ask a direct question. And then before you allow anyone even a second to offer a response and perhaps even give a rationale in support of that response, you proclaim that you flatly reject the response. Okay, gotcha.

If you have any other questions that you don't want any of us to answer, please let us know.

seabreezept813

I feel like with the loss of the GMR it concludes the end of what made MGM/HS special.. I'm assuming a lot of the nods to old Hollywood will disappear and I will especially miss the music at GMR.
I realize that there seems to be a decent number of people who were never satisfied with this park, so the changes are welcome. Before the closures I loved this park so I feel differently about the changes.

hanwill

I was talking to my daughter about this today. I loved this attraction for it's tie to old Hollywood. However, it does seem a little strange that a set of non- Disney movies are featured so prominently. Yes, I know- that's the point... but maybe they are making the shift towards all Disney movies. That's all I can guess...With all of the other non-old-Hollywood changes being there, it seems like the flavor of the park is going to change drastically. Who knows if the sponsorship was not renewed on TCM's part, with cable viewership going down... Just another angle.

Red Sox

So let me see if I have this straight. You ask a direct question. And then before you allow anyone even a second to offer a response and perhaps even give a rationale in support of that response, you proclaim that you flatly reject the response. Okay, gotcha.

If you have any other questions that you don't want any of us to answer, please let us know.
Please enlighten me.

Andsome

As I've lamented in other threads, GMR's closure absolutely devastates me.

Detailed sets and amazing AAs being replaced by a bunch of screens and projections.

Enthusiastic CMs/actors likely being replaced by a bunch of apathetic button pressers.

A ride celebrating well-regarded films that stood the test of time being replaced a ride centered around Disney Channel interstitials (I know they're beloved characters, but it's a version that won't age well).

The fact that they're cannibalizing such a truly magical experience that was loved by many (and brought both guests and CMs together) in favor of what sounds like an overglorified multiplex sickens me. This is one of those rare times in which I'm genuinely livid about a decision made by Disney.

A tip to any future leaders: this is why you should never make the mistake of giving someone whose main expertise was merchandising the keys to the parks.

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

If the new attraction is way better than GMR, we'll get over it fairly quickly. For example, not too many people wish Buzz Lightyear would close so Dreamflight could re-open.

Still, the problem is GMR was a classic attraction and in many ways was the heart & soul of the park. So... I dunno. This new attraction had better be awesome. :(
Not gonna lie though, I really did like Dreamflight. I like Buzz better though. So there's that.

correcaminos

I liken the GMR to Alien Encounter in a way. They're both beloved but truly only ever achieved Cult-like status never mass appeal. I enjoyed both but not surprised or disappointed they were ultimately replaced. Both probably could have stood the test of time given either cosmetic changes or script changes but in GMR's case I think it had a good run considering. I'm generally opposed to change but in this instance I can accept it and welcome the new. That said; I do miss my AE attraction something ridiculous.
Not sure you can compare the two. Alien encounter didn't have 'mass appeal' due to how scary it was. Not meant for a family as a whole. GMR had the ability to be a family ride, but it bore many while others loved it.

Sadly the replacement of AE was a stupid annoying Stitch one that never took off. I'd compare Stitch and GMR more than I'd toss AE into it.

mark marsh

Another one of the great themed rides being pushed out for these new modern ones. DHS has even fewer attractions now worth seeing so we will probably skip it on our next trip.

bjlc57

It's just a bad decision. Not because the Mickey ride will be bad, but because they could have easily kept it, updated it, AND built the Mickey ride.

Not like DHS doesn't need more rides, even after Star Wars and Toy Story.

It was a missed opportunity to give a classic icon the respect it deserves. Instead, they just killed it.
This is 100% correct .. MGM needs more rides .. it doesn't need to "swap them out".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom