I'm Just Sick Over The Great Movie Ride

CaptainJackNO

Original Poster
While I understand progress and that TGMR has fallen somewhat dated, I am just sick and sad thinking of DHS without it. What will my trips be like without Singin in the Rain, Mob Alley, Alien, and The Wizard of Oz???

I tell you, I am just sick......:bawling:

Will the park need to be renamed? How can you even call it DHS when it will have just as much in common with Hollywood as The Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom? Having attractions based on movies does not make this a Movie Studio.

Should the park be considered for a rename?? What do you all think?

Keith2426

I'm very disappointed that GMR is closing. I will admit that it probably was in need of a refurb but to do away with this classic is a travesty. The timing of the closure is suspect also. It's hard to justify the expense of a park ticket with everything that is closed. Maybe they should change the name to Hollywood Shuttered Studios. RIP GMR!

pax_65

If the new attraction is way better than GMR, we'll get over it fairly quickly. For example, not too many people wish Buzz Lightyear would close so Dreamflight could re-open.

Still, the problem is GMR was a classic attraction and in many ways was the heart & soul of the park. So... I dunno. This new attraction had better be awesome. :(

Chef Mickey

It's just a bad decision. Not because the Mickey ride will be bad, but because they could have easily kept it, updated it, AND built the Mickey ride.

Not like DHS doesn't need more rides, even after Star Wars and Toy Story.

It was a missed opportunity to give a classic icon the respect it deserves. Instead, they just killed it.

I am Timmy

I am beyond disappointed, and as I have stated in a similar thread, the fact that Disney announced it's closing less than a month before D-Day was salt in the wound. I know there were solid rumors that it was closing, but I don't understand why these closings can't be announced a year or even 6 months in advance so people can plan trips to see them one last time. Less than a month's notice? Really? They did the same thing with the Osborne Lights, and thankfully we already had a trip planned (that was soul crushing) and were able to schedule extra time at HS. Thanks for the memories, GMR. You will be missed.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Honestly I can't understand how people let themselves get so worked up about a theme park attraction. First world problems.
I've been beyond excited since the Ratatouille rumors began but it's Mickey's ride that has me even more excited. I'm just happy we are getting more rodent based attractions in WDW.
No more first world than your being excited for what's replacing the GMR....

John park hopper

Honestly I can't understand how people let themselves get so worked up about a theme park attraction. First world problems.

"First world problems" If you are refering to all the crap that is going on in the world that I have no control over and my worring about it does nothing to change it; that is precisely why I get worked up about theme park attractions. WDW is an escape, turn off the phone, don't listen to news, turn off the net, bury my head in the sand and escape reality

Red Sox

I keep seeing folks call The Great Movie Ride "dated" over and over. How is it dated? And before anyone says it's because the movies are old, I flat out reject that. The most recently opened and most popular ride in Magic Kingdom is based entirely on an 80 year old movie. Is 7Dwarfs Mine Train "dated"?

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

While I understand progress and that TGMR has fallen somewhat dated, I am just sick and sad thinking of DHS without it. What will my trips be like without Singin in the Rain, Mob Alley, Alien, and The Wizard of Oz???

I tell you, I am just sick......:bawling:

Will the park need to be renamed? How can you even call it DHS when it will have just as much in common with Hollywood as The Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom? Having attractions based on movies does not make this a Movie Studio.

Should the park be considered for a rename?? What do you all think?
Same here. :( It has been a big kick in the gut for me because this was one of my parents' (and mine) favorite rides. It was a true family friendly ride/show that always brought joy. Losing that ride and the fact that I just lost my dad back in February just makes this even worse, like I am losing all that I love and remember.

So yeah! This royally sucks! :cry:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No more first world than your being excited for what's replacing the GMR....
It's a matter of scale. Being bummed or excited is perfectly reasonable. Being "sick" is a bit of an overreaction. I leave for WDW in three days. They could announce today that the entire resort is closing forever tomorrow and it still wouldn't make a rational person "sick."

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It's a matter of scale. Being bummed or excited is perfectly reasonable. Being "sick" is a bit of an overreaction. I leave for WDW in three days. They could announce today that the entire resort is closing forever tomorrow and it still wouldn't make a rational person "sick."
Pretty sure "sick" wasn't meant to be literal. As I'm also pretty sure most rational people would see that. Just as they wouldn't see the closing of GMR being any more of a first world problem than what's replacing it....

KBLovedDisney

I think what you are confusing is sick as something physical happening versus sick as a feeling of losing something very precious to you (we use both interchangeably in different circumstances).

We feel sick because GMR was something very near and dear to our hearts. Sick here means that we are emotionally ill in a way. It's like losing your favorite childhood toy/home/object that you are connected with deeply in some way.

correcaminos

I keep seeing folks call The Great Movie Ride "dated" over and over. How is it dated? And before anyone says it's because the movies are old, I flat out reject that. The most recently opened and most popular ride in Magic Kingdom is based entirely on an 80 year old movie. Is 7Dwarfs Mine Train "dated"?
The animatronics are pretty darn bad. Some of the worst ones are in it. The end of the ride with movies played like one huge TCM ad. We rode it in June and I admit, I won't miss it. It was pretty bad.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I liken the GMR to Alien Encounter in a way. They're both beloved but truly only ever achieved Cult-like status never mass appeal. I enjoyed both but not surprised or disappointed they were ultimately replaced. Both probably could have stood the test of time given either cosmetic changes or script changes but in GMR's case I think it had a good run considering. I'm generally opposed to change but in this instance I can accept it and welcome the new. That said; I do miss my AE attraction something ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom