I'm Back! And I Come Bearing Gifts...

Pongo

Original Poster
So, I'm back from camp. I had a great time and was totally unable to check out the site for anything while I was there, so I'm completely out of the Disney loop.

BUT! My roommate at camp had this magazine called "Mental Floss." At the back of said magazine was something called "The Dead Guy Interview." Who was featured in this issue? Why Walt Disney (1901-1966) himself. Here is the entirety of the "interview":

-------------------

Belated Obituary:
In the end, Walt Disney built a better mouse. Aside from developing such iconic cartoon characters as Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, he dreamed up one of the largest entertainment conglomerates the world has ever known. Sure, the guy went bankrupt three times (the first at age 22), but he always came back swinging. Today, the success of Walt Disney's empire would make even Grumpy smile, to the whistle-while-you-work tune of $22 billion in annual sales. Disney's life wasn't all about Mickey ears and profit margins, though. More than anything, he was an innovator. He was the first graphic artist to use music in animation ("Steamboat Willie"), he produced the first feature-length animated movie ("Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"), and he was the first Hollywood mogul to truly embrace television (think "The Mickey Mouse Club"). Always one to stay close to his creations, he occasionally hid out in a little apartment on Main Street USA in Disneyland. Since he died of cancer in 1966, park managers have kept a lamp lit in the apartment window in his memory.

The Interview:

mental_floss:The Disney brand name has always been associated with good, clean family fun. You know, "M-I-C, see ya real soon!" and all that. What are you, a Mormon?

Walt Disney: Well, no, but I am from the Midwest. Grew up in Missouri. They liked me there. I sold my first sketches to neighbors when i was only 7 years old.

MF: The public image of Uncle Walt was always as a quiet, happy-go-lucky fella. But you had some demons, didn't you, Walt?

WD: Put on these Mickey ears, son. You'll feel better.

MF: I don't want ears, I want the truth! Admit it. You were withdrawn, suspicious, and controlling by nature, weren't you?

WD: Look. I didn't have the greatest childhood, OK? My dad used to beat me and my brothers, and he couldn't keep a job. Cartooning was my escape.

MF: Fair enough. On a "happiest place on Earth" note, how'd you come up with the idea for Disneyland?

WD: I went to a carnival one day with my daughter, Diane, and the place was small and disgusting. I couldn't stand it... candy wrappers everywhere, dirty benches, sad-looking clowns. Nothing looks worse than a sad clown.

MF: That's it? That's the story?

WD: Well, I was also bored silly. There wasn't anything for the grown-ups to do. My idea for a park combined my fascination with urban planning and my love of fantasy for kids and adults. Plus, I like the idea of super-controlled environments. I'm really -retentive like that.

MF: Sounds like Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch.

WD: But without as much controversy. Although there was some. When I opened Disneyland, I spent $17 million on the place. The bankers thought I was out of my mind. I wanted more money, but they wouldn't fork it over.

MF: Is it true that Opening Day was a nightmare?

WD: Oh yeah. Sunday, July 17, 1955. There was a heat wave. It was 110 degrees Farenheit outside and the water fountains didn't work. We ran out of food, plus ladies' heels got stuck in the asphault because the hot weather kept it from drying.

MF: Any regrets?

WD: Yeah, that I only bought 600 acres the first go-'round. I can't stand all the cheap hotels and strip malls that cropped up outside the gates.

MF: What was your favorite accomplishment?

WD: Not a lot of people know this, but it's the work we did during World War II on training and propoganda films for the armed services. They were informative and helped boost morale during a tough time. Well that, and the mega-bucks.

MF: Walt, you built the world's largest media empire and have a household name associated with fun and vacations. On July 17th, 2005, Disneyland turns 50 years old. Where are you going to go next?

WD: I'm going to SeaWorld. I understand they have this new tiger shark exhibit. Just sounded kinda cool.

--------------------

So it's nothing totally new, but it's still good for a chuckle.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Dear Sir or Madam:

I did not receive these gifts that you had promised. I am sure this is an unintentional oversight and it will be corrected as soon as you can. I thank you for bringing your full attention to this problem.

Signed,
Thrawn

phichi17

Thrawn said:
Dear Sir or Madam:

I did not receive these gifts that you had promised. I am sure this is an unintentional oversight and it will be corrected as soon as you can. I thank you for bringing your full attention to this problem.

Signed,
Thrawn

:lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom