News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Hey flyerjab,
come try the trip report and trip planning forums. I find that the folks there are just much happier. We are a lot "newer" for lack of a better word to the parks so you don't have as much "living in the past" Disney and comparing every single thing to how it was back in the day. We have been accused of just "accepting" what ever Disney offers but that's cool, we don't mind. It's just a different vibe. here folks will post what they hated about their vacation (dirty trash cans, surely cm's, missing light bulbs on a ride) there folks will post what they loved about their vacations

I am NOT saying one is better than the other or any forum is right or wrong, just two different ways of looking at the vacations and wdw.

You may not be outright saying one is right or wrong but your condescending tone says everything your words try and dance around.

Anyway....

The parks are being constantly modified for the @eliza61nyc of the world. They aren’t interested in designing the parks the way they used to. The level of detail, the overarching themes....

The new customers don’t care. So why should Disney?

shernernum

You may not be outright saying one is right or wrong but your condescending tone says everything your words try and dance around.

Anyway....

The parks are being constantly modified for the @eliza61nyc of the world. They aren’t interested in designing the parks the way they used to. The level of detail, the overarching themes....

The new customers don’t care. So why should Disney?
LOL, but that wasn't condescending at all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The difference is Disney would do these things not because the guests cared... but because they knew the cumulative impact on the guest would be this success... even if the customer didn’t know how or why.

Disney did it not because the guest asked, but because Disney knew more than the guest.

Now Disney turned its back on itself and is operating in a mindset of “capitalizing” on opportunities and lowering their standards because the revenues to date show they can. And guests, who didn’t know why they felt the way they did before, can’t be seen as definitive guide as to what matters or not. Because the guests are not the designers.... they are consumers who more often than not can’t even quantify their emotions.

Disney productions were the masters at emotional and psychological shaping. It came from their movie and creative backgrounds. It’s why Walt emphasized “the show” and not just a physical place you visited.

The average guest just knows when the sum of things is working for them or not... and everyone has diffrent tolerances and fixations. So not everyone is going to turn at the same time or point of change.

It’s also why most guests can’t comprehend why those who are interested in the art and creative side of the product/show spend so much time and energy on things they don’t think matter. Because they just want to be a customer.

There are Disney fans who love being a Disney customer.... and then there are Disney fans who are actual fans of theme park design.

JohnD

Hey flyerjab,
come try the trip report and trip planning forums. I find that the folks there are just much happier. We are a lot "newer" for lack of a better word to the parks so you don't have as much "living in the past" Disney and comparing every single thing to how it was back in the day. We have been accused of just "accepting" what ever Disney offers but that's cool, we don't mind. It's just a different vibe. here folks will post what they hated about their vacation (dirty trash cans, surely cm's, missing light bulbs on a ride) there folks will post what they loved about their vacations

I am NOT saying one is better than the other or any forum is right or wrong, just two different ways of looking at the vacations and wdw.

I agree. Both News&Rumors and Trip Planning have value. But factually News and Rumors is making observations that WDW is changing and not for the better. Trip Planning, OTOH, is geared to the upcoming guest who wants to know the best way to do X, Y, and Z. By definition there is more excitement because planning for an upcoming trip.

I enjoy the commentary on N&R while also enjoying giving and seeking advice on Trip Planning. I have a holiday trip starting 12/9, BTW.

azox

OK, I guess I kinda over-reacted to the prospect of losing my beloved Reflections of Earth. The show means a lot to me and I will be returning to WDW next year to bid it farewell. but after much thought I am going to continue posting here and engaging my fandom until I see the permanent new show (I actually think Epcot Forever sounds promising as a temporary thing)

HMF I feel the same way you do about the loss of ROE and understand. I have a trip setup for may to see ROE one lsat time, but I am also contemplating a quick trip to Epcot this month to catch one last viewing of the fireworks they do for the Christmas season with "Let there be peace on earth". I love it as well and can only assume/fear they will be removing it as well, which means this year would be the last year to see it.

Do any of the insiders know the fate of the ROE Christmas post show?

JoeCamel

I agree. Both News&Rumors and Trip Planning have value. But factually News and Rumors is making observations that WDW is changing and not for the better. Trip Planning, OTOH, is geared to the upcoming guest who wants to know the best way to do X, Y, and Z. By definition there is more excitement because planning for an upcoming trip.

I enjoy the commentary on N&R while also enjoying giving and seeking advice on Trip Planning. I have a holiday trip starting 12/9, BTW.
Close, have a great time!

JohnD

Close, have a great time!

Including the OI meetup on 12/15. Just found out that the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is in concert in Orlando that day (two performances). If I didn't already have plans in UOR, I would give it serious consideration. Fortunately, I'm also a fan of Mannheim Steamroller and they'll be in Universal on the same night (7:00pm) so I'll get to see them instead.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Honest question time: did the article suggest that the land clearing behind Equatorial Africa is to build barges for the show. Any chance that means that once they are built they will be stored elsewhere and Disney would consider building something on this plot of now cleared land (a ride or pavillion perhaps). Or is this all wishful dreaming?

Kman101

Actually, I think that you are the type of poster that this board relishes and appreciates. These forums are filled with diehard Disney fans that like how the parks were approached in the past. I think it is a great forum for longtime fans to reminisce and speak to how things used to be.

It is ironic to me that you say this as I actually have also been contemplating leaving this forum. I am much newer to WDW (only the last decade) and have found my opinions to be...less popular than most others here. I am excited for what is coming and love finding out about things here well in advance of when they actually happen. That being said, the news from the last D23 and Destination D events have been roundly panned here. I am really in the minority at times from an opinion standpoint. As I like to also think of myself as a think for yourselfer, I might just be posting much less on here. I’ll always be checking in though. The best Disney news on the web has always been wdwmagic!

I'm late to this but this is why I kind of come and go. I often feel in the minority of my viewpoint and don't often feel I have much to contribute at times. I'm not super excited for a lot of things (just seeing things being built is nice but I have to say sometimes they take two steps forward and big steps backwards so it's almost always a mixed reaction from me; I never totally "hate" anything but I can't say a lot of it has me jumping up and down with joy but I'm also not totally upset ... see ... I'm all over the place lol) but I do like a lot of things that are coming. I'm sort of caught in the middle of how I think the parks should be and what they're doing with them.

FWIW, I love your posts and your love for Animal Kingdom :) we often agree on most things I think, too. It gets kind of tired we can't like some things because we're told "we're wrong" or pixie dusters (when in reality I'm far from a delusional "everything is wonderful so shut up" person) and on the flip side it gets tiring seeing those critical be constantly called negative and dismissed. We need a middle ground LOL (and I'm not lumping "everyone" into these categories, but it's a problem we spend so much time bickering back and forth over silly things like who's a pixie duster and who's more negative)

But I love the boards for the discussions, the posters, the various viewpoints, and I think it's the #1 place for news and I love knowing what's coming in the future. So I do love WDWMagic. I'd probably never stop posting altogether. We also have a ton of posters with AMAZING knowledge and insight.

MaximumEd

I hope the torches stay, but a few were struggling staying lit and burning as brightly as the others when we were there a couple months ago. I’m in the natural gas industry and know that infrastructure doesn’t last forever. Where I work, even well coated and protected steel pipe is typically given around a 30 to 40 year service life. That being said, these days it’s no problem to use a directional boring machine to run plastic service lines if new lines would be required to keep them running.

Kman101

I hope the torches stay, but a few were struggling staying lit and burning as brightly as the others when we were there a couple months ago. I’m in the natural gas industry and know that infrastructure doesn’t last forever. Where I work, even well coated and protected steel pipe is typically given around a 30 to 40 year service life. That being said, these days it’s no problem to use a directional boring machine to run plastic service lines if new lines would be required to keep them running.

I can see them letting them quietly go away. Would they want to invest in having to fix it all (if they do need fixing)? Probably not. I hope they stick around though.

MaximumEd

I can see them letting them quietly go away. Would they want to invest in having to fix it all (if they do need fixing)? Probably not. I hope they stick around though.

The blowing out of the torches at the beginning of the show gets me every time. I know that will surely be cut, but I would like them to leave them burning during the pre-show. I think it give WS such a cool vibe at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom