News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Ok I'm going to throw out a question that I know will get me stoned in virtual but has anyone ever thought that the reason why the are putting characters and IP everywhere is because maybe the park going guest wants to see them??
just saying, you guys here are a small holdover from a bygone era.

Plausible. More importantly, how beneficial will the inclusion of IPs be to the company? Is using IPs from WDS less costly than creating/developing original ideas, and is relying on those IPs in a show advertising?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok I'm going to throw out a question that I know will get me stoned in virtual but has anyone ever thought that the reason why the are putting characters and IP everywhere is because maybe the park going guest wants to see them??
just saying, you guys here are a small holdover from a bygone era.

So 4 parks loaded with IP will never tire?
And honestly...the “new” clientele has no loyalty. They want to be low maintenance entertained but would be much more likely dump you on a dime.

That’s a dangerous game to be played with such an important corporate asset.

WDW Monorail

lol I've got no horse in this race because as much as I do like ROE, I've seen it 30 thousand times and I'm ready for something new. I'm one of those folks who doesn't wax poetically about some thing I've seen ad nauseum (as far as my vacations go) and I try to wait until I actually see something before stressing about it and I know this question will get me virtual "stoned" but has anyone ever thought that the reason why the are putting characters and IP everywhere is because maybe today's park going guest wants to see them??

Thank you for being one of the very few intelligent posters on this site.

I just cannot stand reading thr ninsense posted on here anymore by clueless individuals who don’t even know that the entire basis of the company is movie characters!

I really love Reflections of Earth but I am excited to experience the new show.

eddie104

Yet another thread jumps the shark with over dramatic and exaggerated responses. It really ruins reading these when people can’t even give thoughts without sounding like their auditioning for a school play.

I respect people’s opinions but when people get so attached to something that their not even willing to give Disney a chance to prove themselves. 😕😩

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yet another thread jumps the shark with over dramatic and exaggerated responses. It really ruins reading these when people can’t even give thoughts without sounding like their auditioning for a school play.

I respect people’s opinions but when people get so attached to something that their not even willing to give Disney a chance to prove themselves. 😕😩

Honest question, genuinely curious - How long have you been visiting WDW?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Is that true? What the heck is wrong with people?
I am not a fan of ROE.
download.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There is such a lack of knowledge on display in this post, that I don't even know where to start. So I won't.

Correct...

The quote was “it started with a mouse”

So they did cartoon shorts...

Then features...

During the dark times of WW2 , they did government work...then rolled into travel logs in South America.

Then they did the live actions and the animated/live action hybrids.

Reinvented amusement parks.

Early (risky) pioneers into television

Developed cross marketing techniques better than anyone until george Lucas.

Went into foreign markets with an American brand.

Direct revenue cable networks

Early work on computer animation/computer graphics (Tron was 82...which is a historical fact)

Expanded their parks into full week destinations...and did so with a focus on VARIETY of offerings....

And that gets us to about 1993 or so....alone.

Kman101

Sorry but I don't see how Mickey & Friends coming into EPCOT CENTER was a bad thing. The Greeting shows at Showcase Plaza and Odyssey were Short and fun. I think Surprise In The Skies was well received even though it only lasted the 20th year.

Splashtacular came directly from TDL"s Playbook. Too bad the public didn't see it that way

I would agree that Barbie At America Gardens from 93-95 was a little wired. And I could do without Frozen in Norway(not a BIG problem for me, Just liked what came before) But keeping it limited to the Fab 5 can't really hurt anything...can it???

I don't get the angst over meet and greets in the park. It's unrealistic not to have them, guests want to meet characters. I know, "it wasn't like that in 1982" but it's 2018. A meet and greet isn't the end of the world ... and at least they're enclosed and not all over the place (I'd miss most if I didn't go out of my way to look for them). It's not like it's some infestation (YMMV, of course!). But I know many have passionate feelings on Epcot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you for being one of the very few intelligent posters on this site.

I just cannot stand reading thr ninsense posted on here anymore by clueless individuals who don’t even know that the entire basis of the company is movie characters!

I really love Reflections of Earth but I am excited to experience the new show.

You must have read a completely different thread (or didn’t read at all - more likely)...

The discussion is the possibility of what they’ll replace this with...

And whether it makes you “less smiley” or not...the trend to do character overstuffed/rehashed shows is a thing to address at Disney. You can only have so many of those before they all get tired.

The concern is that since Epcot still is not a fantasyland Park...that the night show in an adult driven section should have the kinda cross appeal - at a minimum - that the old illuminations shows have had.

Sorry to make it “too real”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't get the angst over meet and greets in the park. It's unrealistic not to have them, guests want to meet characters. I know, "it wasn't like that in 1982" but it's 2018. A meet and greet isn't the end of the world ... and at least they're enclosed and not all over the place (I'd miss most if I didn't go out of my way to look for them). It's not like it's some infestation (YMMV, of course!). But I know many have passionate feelings on Epcot.

I think tasteful character representation is fine...but in Epcot I think they need to be cognizant of just how fine that line could be.

Kman101

I think tasteful character representation is fine...but in Epcot I think they need to be cognizant of just how fine that line could be.

Oh they've gone over it. I just don't angst about it much. I don't mind certain IP's in Epcot or even meet and greets. I do think they're relying too hard on "IP IP IP" though. And I wish they had more tastefully used IPs in a better way ... (I'm also someone who agrees with those who say Epcot "shouldn't have to rely on characters" but I've settled myself to the fact that they've long been in Epcot, angsting about it won't get rid of them so I usually just pathetically hope they do it tastefully, and usually they don't so I get the hate towards the use of IP and why it's seen as lazy; I agree it has been lazy overall but I felt the potential might have been there)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom