News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

trainplane3

Thinking on this some more. If we have to use IP/Pixar/DAS characters, can we at least have Figment in it? You know, to take us on a journey around the world using our imaginations or something? This is a good chance to market a popular character (popular $$$ wise), so it seems like it would be a no brainer. It'd be nice to have a 100% park exclusive character have some weight in a show since that should be what a park exclusive character does and not solely tie them to a disaster of a attraction.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
The whole drone thing has me kinda worried that it may mean a big reduction in pyrotechnics. I wouldn’t think you could have both operating simultaneously in such a small area. One thing I would expect though is they are gunning to make the new show cheaper to operate. Drones would definitely do that.

brb1006

As a somewhat newcomer to WDW (2 trips, first was in September, 2015), I've never understood the appeal of Illuminations (or Fanstamic! for that matter, but I don't want to derail the thread). It makes me wonder if it's more the nostalgia of it that makes it feel so special to people. Wishes, otoh, I fell in love with that the first time I ever experienced it!

I'm looking forward to the new show at Epcot. Maybe we'll have a reason to stick around past 8:30 then.
Illuminations Reflections of Earth was very prominent during the Millennium Celebration between 1999 and 2000. As seen in these old Walt Disney World commercials made between 1999 and 2000.

Nmoody1

Whilst I enjoyed Reflections of Earth in its early days, the pyro in the show has been summed down, the globe limps out most nights and the technology used today is more advanced. Part of this show was meant to celebrate man's achievements
and celebrate the future... I for one look forward to a new show... although given the cuts to entertainment this week alone, I'm a little wary! This is not the ambitious Disney of the end of the millennium!

Tavernacle12

I hope the globe remains somehow (or, at least, is saved by the Archives) and some part of the music is used in the exit loop. Isn't the current exit loop from past shows?

Sidenote, why is RoE considered 'stale' or 'stagnant' by people while plenty of rides have been around, with just as little change, for far longer and considered 'classics'?

SweetDuffy101

Well ROE really needed to retire to keep the park updated, and why EPCOT cant have a daytime lagoon show, you know the one that has barge with dancers and characters around the lagoon and have a center stage kinda like disney sea does it. There are so much potential in the lagoon and they have a Black canvas to paint on it, Well in the end it all depends on the budget on EPCOTs show.

Whats really interesting is that there isnt that much gap between the illuminations ending and the debut of the new show.
Will we get more from Destination D or we just have to wait til D23 for more details about this show.

SpaceMountain77

Sometimes, I wonder how close we are to a nighttime entertainment offering that showcases Disney Consumer Products, using digital projections, and offers a musical score of their price points and where to find them within the park (e.g., Let's Go Buy a Mug, You Ain't Never Had a Shirt Like This, Bare MagicBand Necessities).

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I agree, I don't like IP, but I remember when EPCOT Center had NO characters at all. So, that ship sailed
long ago. Though I agree with you, I know that it is what it is, so I will make the best of it.
Sorry but I don't see how Mickey & Friends coming into EPCOT CENTER was a bad thing. The Greeting shows at Showcase Plaza and Odyssey were Short and fun. I think Surprise In The Skies was well received even though it only lasted the 20th year.

Splashtacular came directly from TDL"s Playbook. Too bad the public didn't see it that way

I would agree that Barbie At America Gardens from 93-95 was a little wired. And I could do without Frozen in Norway(not a BIG problem for me, Just liked what came before) But keeping it limited to the Fab 5 can't really hurt anything...can it???

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Illuminations Reflections of Earth was very prominent during the Millennium Celebration between 1999 and 2000. As seen in these old Walt Disney World commercials made between 1999 and 2000.

2000 was the height of WDW as far as offerings and value for the money to the customer.

I’m prepping a little 90 minute lecture on it...and work for beer at an overpriced Disney bar...Incase anyone is interested.

StarWarsGirl

I'm in the minority here, but...

I've seen Illuminations over 100 times. I was four years old when it started. That show has been around longer than my younger brother has. I'm so tired of it. I don't even care about seeing it in Epcot anymore. When the globe is out and there are no fireworks, a lot of people are on their phones, and I can't blame them. Every Disney firework show currently (not counting World of Color or RoL) is better than Illuminations IMO.

And while Promise is a pretty song, I absolutely cannot stand the singer who sings it. I try to get out of range before the song starts so I don't have to hear it.

I am so ready for something new.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm in the minority here, but...

I've seen Illuminations over 100 times. I was four years old when it started. That show has been around longer than my younger brother has. I'm so tired of it. I don't even care about seeing it in Epcot anymore. When the globe is out and there are no fireworks, a lot of people are on their phones, and I can't blame them. Every Disney firework show currently (not counting World of Color or RoL) is better than Illuminations IMO.

And while Promise is a pretty song, I absolutely cannot stand the singer who sings it. I try to get out of range before the song starts so I don't have to hear it.

I am so ready for something new.

This is kinda social commentary...in so many ways.

MuteSuperstar

I wasn't even a huge fan of Illuminations in any of its forms, but I absolutely appreciated the ambience and spectacle and....tastefulness to end the day. There's just no way this will match it. No way. Projections of Groot 'n' Olaf? No.

Always my favorite park, by far, but little by little, away it goes. And it's NOT solely about nostalgia. Truly creative/superior minds (aka not the current exec lizards) could find a way to keep Epcot relevant and true to its vision without resorting to this stuff. But when the audience is mostly clamoring for it too, well....then it's over. Hopefully they prove me wrong. I won't hold my breath.

eddie104

Don't talk it up, you will summon two certain users about this. :facepalm:

We don't want this thread to get derailed like the the recent "Rafiki's Planet Watch thread" gotten. ;)
:rolleyes:........Anyways I'm glad a long running show is being replaced with something new and fresh.

EvilChameleon

The whole drone thing has me kinda worried that it may mean a big reduction in pyrotechnics. I wouldn’t think you could have both operating simultaneously in such a small area. One thing I would expect though is they are gunning to make the new show cheaper to operate. Drones would definitely do that.

From what I understand, it'll be the new globe segment, to give the area time to breathe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom