• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced in 2019

cjkeating

Advertisement
Pretty sure that the show director for Rivers of light was also the show director for happily Ever after
He was. I am a big fan of Michael's work on both projects. He (along with his colleagues) created two shows that work so well in their respective parks, it's a shame Rivers of Light didn't meet the original pitch but I enjoy it all the same.

I'm not sure who is working on the Epcot project but they don't seem to have the same freedom here for the permanent Epcot show.

jaxonp

He was. I am a big fan of Michael's work on both projects. He (along with his colleagues) created two shows that work so well in their respective parks, it's a shame Rivers of Light didn't meet the original pitch but I enjoy it all the same.

I'm not sure who is working on the Epcot project but they don't seem to have the same freedom here for the permanent Epcot show.
It's a lot of the same people from ROL.

FigmentJedi

It’s funny that people complain about two things: how they don’t like ROL and how that hate Disney IP being added everywhere. There is a disconnect here.
It's especially jarring because Rivers of Light IS the spiritual successor to both Illuminations and Tapestry of Nations. One that's been crippled by technical issues and the loss of the Shamans that were the modern Sage of Time/Dreamseekers, but a good effort nonetheless.

mnelson3

It's especially jarring because Rivers of Light IS the spiritual successor to both Illuminations and Tapestry of Nations. One that's been crippled by technical issues and the loss of the Shamans that were the modern Sage of Time/Dreamseekers, but a good effort nonetheless.
Was secretly hopeing ROL would get replaced by a Lion King show later this year.

trainplane3

GlacierGlacier

Intresting sendoff idea but where would you put it?? Showcase Plaza? Can't do it in America Gardens, you wouldn't see ROE. America Gardens had no walls before 1994.
You could it in America gardens and pipe the live music throughout the park.

Or take over the FP+ spot for an orchesta. On a slope. Hm.

Or the area by the bridge from UK to France.

Or the little flat bit by Italy.

jrhwdw

Any DL people helping Epcot with thieir shows? WE DON'T NEED THEM HERE!!! Not when they're downsizing their shows! I'll take IP over DL's help!

MrPromey

Disney Legend Ron Logan talks about the story behind Illuminations: Reflection of Earth, including a flat look at the images from the globe.
Two things strike me about this:

First, how unimpressive that video footage on the globe really is.*

Second, how amazing of a job they did with the pacing and tying-in of disparate elements on this show.

*I've long thought that the biggest drawback of this show in the modern era was with the globe itself and how having the curved pieces of screen on such a large scale was awesome and groundbreaking for the time it was made but how today it looks dated and difficult to see and feels like it should have been replaced with a screen covering the entire glob.

Seeing the video and looking at it all flat, I realize how a lot of what it shows is kind of a glorified powerpoint presentation and that if there were full viewing available, they'd need to replace that footage with something much more compelling.

That's not a nock against what they did, though. Clearly it worked for all these years and anything more put into it would actually have been lost as a result of the limited viewing on that rotating globe. It just shows how tightly things were integrated in the original design.

Nothing was over or under done for what they were trying to do and it feels like they made the best possible show they could for the time - a different era to be sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom