News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

MaximumEd

When more of the gas lines rust through they’ll have a reason not to use them.

I just don’t get this. Even if the existing lines run under areas not scheduled for any work, this isn’t a hard thing to address. This isn’t the late 70’s. You don’t have to dig a long narrow ditch and put the pipe in it. Directional boring machines can shoot a new line through dirt, swamp, or solid rock. Heck, we even use existing steel lines that are in bad shape and insert new plastic inside them. This wouldn’t be a difficult or complicated thing to fix to keep the torches. The only reason they won’t keep them is because they don’t want to, not because they can’t.

Kman101

Replacing RoE feels wrong to me. Yet, Here we are.

I never felt it was irreplaceable, IMO, but at least give us something even better that matches the message of the park like this one did. But nope, we get to sing along with our favorite disney movie songs with a loose tie-in to the world showcase. At least that's how I'm assuming the new show will be. It's a shame. We don't need an IP showcase on the lagoon. I'm sure tech wise the new show will be great. But content wise? That definitely remains to be seen. THIS is where I get the MK2.0 thing. It's just not needed when you have two parks already doing this. I'm sure many will crow "how well this fits Epcot" while I cringe. And I imagine AK follows suit eventually with IPs of Light. (EDIT: I do think there's a tasteful way to include IP, but they don't seem to try; The tree of life awakenings uses IP but in a more natural way and it works for me with the one segment, and it's not the whole thing ...)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We Go On and Promise were the greatest songs ever written for a nighttime spectacular IMO. Sad that they're getting thrown away so four year olds can screech Let It Go for the 5000th time while picking their noses.

They were written during a time when Disney still "thought big" and made bold, grand additions/changes, instead of doing things to solely bolster the bottom line.

Kman101

They were written during a time when Disney still "thought big" and made bold, grand additions/changes, instead of doing things to solely bolster the bottom line.

One of my absolute biggest issues with how they currently do things is that it all feels short-sighted, quick thinking decisions just to "fix a problem" without any long-term planning. One thing should equal another, such as say, opening McQueen's Screenz so they could potentially close down another theater temporarily, but we haven't heard of that happening yet. It just seems all over the place all the time ... if they don't "have" to do it, they don't.

MaximumEd

My 11 year old daughter doesn’t have the long term connection I have with Epcot, but she sings right along with me to We Go On and Promise when we go. Think big and make something that suits the park and people will respond. Unfortunately, people seem to respond to the newest movie sing along, so what do I know?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What I find absolutely mind blowing is that current leadership thinks that a singalong is a worth successor the greatest fireworks spectacular ever created. I feel terrible for people that don't realize what's coming.

This:

Is about to be replaced with a bunch of people doing this:

It's not a sing along... unless you know Chinese and several other languages.

jt04

Thank you. You’re welcome.

Oh, we’ve calmed down a lot I'm glad to say . Almost kissed and made up I think. Whatcha think @jt04 ?

I never would have guessed anything I said offended you. Perhaps you took my dust-ups with 74 personally. Since that is in the past no need to revisit those debates. I do consider dropping in on other boards where he lurks and giving him some trouble but always reconsider.

SD449

I never would have guessed anything I said offended you. Perhaps you took my dust-ups with 74 personally. Since that is in the past no need to revisit those debates. I do consider dropping in on other boards where he lurks and giving him some trouble but always reconsider.
Is there somewhere to read 74 more recent comments? I do miss him around here

*edit to add* bit disappointed I am a new member even after more than 5 years

EvilChameleon

Scud needs to pick up an academic study or two...

http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/16/singing-changes-your-brain/

Group singing, for those who have done it, is the most exhilarating and transformative of all. It takes something incredibly intimate, a sound that begins inside you, shares it with a roomful of people and it comes back as something even more thrilling: harmony.

What researchers are beginning to discover is that singing is like an infusion of the perfect tranquilizer, the kind that both soothes your nerves and elevates your spirits.

It turns out you don’t even have to be a good singer to reap the rewards. According to one 2005 study, group singing “can produce satisfying and therapeutic sensations even when the sound produced by the vocal instrument is of mediocre quality.”

Go to a concert, or a soccer match, or watch a video of the final performance of Disneyland Forever, wherein the entirety of Main Street USA is singing along to Let It Go, and try not to smile or tear up. It's impossible.

jt04

Is there somewhere to read 74 more recent comments? I do miss him around here

*edit to add* bit disappointed I am a new member even after more than 5 years

he used to be at LP forums. Others would be more informed than me.

brb1006

Helps that Reflections of Earth debuted back when Walt Disney World still put a lot of effort into the advertising as seen in commercials made for the Millennium Celebration between 1999 and 2001.

Missing20K

Hot take.

Those little girls crushed and I'd take them over a CM sing-a-long any day. Sometimes hitting all the right notes isn't as important as enjoying the moment.

(Full Disclosure: I'm the father of a soon to be two year old girl and she lights up my world. This may or may not color my opinion of the clip.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom