News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

tirian

I like HEA. When I see it, I enjoy it and I'm not making a mental note of all the ways it can be improved.

I like RoE. However, when I see it, I make a lengthy mental list of all the ways it could be improved:
  • the pan flute rendition of Popcorn before the show is an insult to music, there are literally tens of thousands of better choices of music
  • all stuff in the way of viewing, from trees to lakeside buildings (which I know a new show won't take care of)
  • all the show elements at the level of the lake surface which becomes impossible to see if you have people in front of you
  • the globe that is too small for the show and the attempt to show a video on only 25% of the globe (which is the percent of land mass on Earth)
  • the big pause, because if you can't see the globe, then there is nothing visual happening

RoE needed *huge* upgrades or a new show, so, I'm glad there'll be a new show.

I don't mind the IP if done right, namely, nicely re-orchestrated for the show rather than audio clips of the movies, and none of that mushy old-time choir sound (looking at you American Adventure), but a more gospel-y or Broadway sound.
The gospel version of “Celebrate the Future” was great during the millennium.

You pointed out the biggest problem with every version of World of Color at DCA: the music clips feel like music clips instead of a coherent show.

In any case, it was time for RoE to be upgraded or replaced. Disney needs to get it right.

brb1006

Its been written extensively that Eisner had a great respect for Wells and he more than anyone else could influence Eisners decisions. When Wells death ocurred Eisner had no one else to influence/ manage/ control the direction of his decisions and ambitions and thats when Disney fans see things starting to sour for Disney.
Jeffrey Katzenberg's bitter relationship toward Eisner and Disney in 1994 only added more salt to the wound.

tirian

And top 5-6 most important figures in Disney history...

1-1a walt and Roy O
2. Roy E
3. Eisner
4/5 iger and wells

Honorable mention: Stan gold, Sid bass, card walker, don Tatum, ray Watson...even ron miller.
People forget that Ron, Card Walker, and their crew developed the Disney Channel, Touchstone, EPCOT Center, and Tokyo Disney Resort. Too bad their film division sucked, because their legacy laid the groundwork for everything Eisner and Wells would improve.

brb1006

Half (or perhaps more than half) of what made Eisners first decade so great.
Here's a photo of Michael Eisner, Roy E. Disney and Frank Wells together.
3225.Frank_2D00_Roy_2D00_Mike.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

eliza61nyc

And top 5-6 most important figures in Disney history...

1-1a walt and Roy O
2. Roy E
3. Eisner
4/5 iger and wells

Honorable mention: Stan gold, Sid bass, card walker, don Tatum, ray Watson...even ron miller.

do you think to the general wdw visitor they know who these folks were or what their vision of the parks were?

Tony the Tigger

And low hanging fruit is the way to achieve that?

It's one way, and a reliable way. I personally believe in a multi-pronged approach. But I'd start with the low-hanging fruit. It's the most efficient way to go.

Because the parks didn't make money or attract visitors during the days when quality of experience was a priority. Do you really think that they would go out of business if they redirected their focus on aiming high?

I think the Disney of 1978 or 1985 would if they failed to adapt to the realities of business in 2018 as you apparently have.

geekza

I think the Disney of 1978 or 1985 would if they failed to adapt to the realities of business in 2018 as you apparently have.
So the "realities of business in 2018" are that people don't care about quality and are more likely to spend greater sums of money on mediocrity. Hmm. Okay. That's a pretty condescending attitude, but you be you.

Tavernacle12

I'll show up for the last show or two to help blow the torches out one last time... after that, well, EPCOT is going to have to give me a very good reason to come back.

What sucks is, as someone that likes strolling and hanging out at Epcot at night, because IllumiNations and it’s replacement (presumably) come on as everything else in the park closes down, you don’t even get the fun of having the park to yourself during it like you do by skipping the shows in the other parks. So if the new show sucks, it’s just killing my Epcot nights, and those are some of my favorites at WDW.
I guess I could get in line for Frozen or Ratatouie...
Ugh, and IDF is likely next, isn’t it? They’re killing my babies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the consensus that this will be an IP heavy / drone heavy show with some fireworks here and there? Or will it still have the World as the center of the story?

I don't know anyone 'in the know' who has characterized the use of drone or IPs as "heavy" and the use of fireworks as just "here and there."

I think all we know is drone, IP (from around the world), and fireworks.

This is what has been said of the permanent replacement show in the past...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom