Iger Story in Fortune

216bruce

Disney CEO Bob Iger's empire of tech

"Bob Iger has spent much of his near decade at Disney wearing an additional corporate hat: CTO. The result? He has brought the coolest innovations from Lucasfilm, Pixar, Marvel, and ESPN into a single galaxy."
Great article and thanks for posting it. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the guy has done a tremendous job. The business has grown, the film division actually makes hits now, the acquisitions have done great and the parks are doing great business. Is he Walt? No, but then no one can be. I hope that his naysayers wait until he retires to pass judgement on his tenure. After Avatarland, Star Wars land, the completion of the whole MyMagic+ and tech upgrades are done, then judge; not midstream.
It is very eye-opening to see just how important the networks division is as far as $ goes. Makes 'parks' look minor in comparison.

JordanNite

Good business CEO man. Terrible at anything that requires a vision - hence he's been terrible in the movie divison (John Carter of Mars, Prince of Persia, Lone Ranger all huge flops were made by him) His sole original true hit has been Frozen - and he had little faith in that, he got lucky. And he's been woefully inept with the theme park divison - yes he has greenlit projects around the world - but there is nothing personal there, nothing ground breaking, no massive new attractions.

Anyone with a ton of money can buy franchises like Star Wars or Marvel.

He is no visionary, and the sooner he is gone the better and we can see our theme parks prosper again.

The man is a CEO he is in the game to make money - the total opposites of Walts vision. The man has not done a single thing, a single iota for theme park division, other than any money the parks had to reinvest themselves.

A CEO whose salary is dependent on profit, hence he won't dare build anything at the parks that costs obsene amounts that eats into his profits.

A good CEO in that in the short term he has made his clients money, but in the long term he has damaged them - in a few years time with nothing new happening over at the parks (in the next decade all we will see is an Avatar attraction) theme park attendance will fall. He'll never be remembered - an utter disgrace for the theme park division.

If Disney ever hire a corporate CEO again we might as say goodbye to Orlando holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom