Iger Says Avatar Most Likely 2015, Hints at Marvel, More Pirates and Cars

wickedfan07

You make good points. The layout of the land is there, however. They could simply repurpose it and build around it. That takes a lot of work out of the equation when you don't necessarily have to do entire land clearing and build from the ground up.

Having the ground work already done would definitely be a plus and probably save on some costs. I do agree though that we won't see a huge, new and groundbreaking Avatarland on the scale of CarsLand unless we have a DCA redo-sized budget. That seems to be asking a for one (non-Disney) film property, even if it did do big business at the box office. Carsland has three attractions, but two of them are more traditional flat rides," even if they are the next generation of older ride systems and took some time and money to develop. I don't know that a ride system similar to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is able to applied to something out of Avatar. If it's the environment they're going to try to recreate, I'm not sure Mater's spinner, Luigi's tires or any similarly contained ride system would cut it. So we're probably looking at one big ride and some smaller experiences, like a restaurant and shops, as you mentioned earlier.

This is probably a stretch, but the only way I could see them taking a chunk out of AK to be reworked into Avatar is by taking ALL of DinoLand. DINOSAUR is a good ride, but It's had a good 14 year run at this point and that would give them an excuse to change the attraction (possibly keeping the ride system). It's also a good excuse to bulldoze DINORAMA, which could probably be gone in about a week (no longer than it took them to disassemble Dumbo in January). DINORAMA's space could probably hold a modest attraction depending on what it was. Redo the facade on Restaurantosaurus and switch out the Boneyard for some similar experience (maybe even NextGen...oh goody!) and you might have yourselves an Avatarland.

The only problem with is idea is the resulting lack of dinosaurs., which only adds to the list of animals the park DOESN'T represent, right after mythological creatures. Or, if you want to believe Avatar represents mytholigical creatures, you've only swapped one for the other.

PeoplemoverTTA

Simplified version:

My point was perhaps it's not set in stone yet.

I guess I'm confused...so we're supposed to ignore all the other points that you made, and just focus on this one? The points I refuted were part of what you used to support your supposed main argument that "it's not set in stone."

Things change all the time in a company as varied as Disney, and they have still trumped the concept art to generate buzz and discussion through the blog and social media, so I'm sorry, a catch-all "it's not settled" still doesn't really hold muster.

And for the other scandals mentioned above, those were just in the past 5-6 years, and they are fairly significant (the Habit Heroes media craziness trumps them all as far as knowledge among non-Disney fans, imo as a PR and marketing professional). That list coincides nicely with their blog and social media push, so it's very valid to the discussion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
He was all over the place and he didn't make sense and made diehards look bad....terribly bad. If I was going to ask Bobby a question I would make sure it was an intelligent one. Just saying...

Ugh, it was horrible. At least there were about 4-5 intelligent questions.. the other 15+ were just aweful. This isn't a 'parks and resorts fan convention' folks!! The uber-kingdomhearts-nerd was just aweful.

Why would he spend time talking about Avatar when it's 4-5 years away?

Because this is the annual shareholder meeting, and a major transaction that was just closed was the licensing deal with cameron. They reviewed all kinds of major investments the company is doing.. and leave out that one.

That was my point...Avatar was announced early in development to help combat Harry Potter

FLE wasn't a licensing deal - there was no partner ship to announce. Avatar is different.. part of the auora of the deal is the partnership between cameron as an industry leader and disney as a leader in thier space. Investors don't care what attraction is built - they care what the results and impacts are. Avatar was announced because of the 'awe' factor to show Disney is serious and to explain the big chuck of money that would be coming off their balance sheet well before anything actually happens. FLE didn't have any of those elements.

They are scared of bad press. Mortified, actually. When is the last time Disney had a major scandal or gotten bad press?

Uhh.. would you like just in the last month or last 12m? Having a little kid killed on his bike by a bus... the ironic monorail having a fatality with guests onboard... habit heros.. and that's just a slice.

Disney kills these deals by not saying anything at all.. and when questioned they push it off as still being explored.. etc and then only after the dust has settled quietly admit the deal is dead. The only time its otherwise is if they have to pay other people off big time to make it go away.. or they have to cancel pursuits/plans with outside vendors.. and then it's usually OTHER people reporting it, not Disney announcing it. Take for instance, the latest Disney plans for National Harbor.. or their hotel plans for Gardenwalk (which are on eternal hold..), etc.

Iger didn't bring up Avatar at all even though it was a major announcement during this year for the company. He only mentioned it when questioned during the Q&A section. They even cut an avatar question out of the reply it seems as an earlier reference is mentioned by the questioner, but an earlier question isn't in the replay.

awhit066

Iger didn't bring up Avatar at all even though it was a major announcement during this year for the company. He only mentioned it when questioned during the Q&A section. They even cut an avatar question out of the reply it seems as an earlier reference is mentioned by the questioner, but an earlier question isn't in the replay.

This intrigues me most out of the whole thread! I wonder if we'll be able to find out what was cut either from people who were there or those who listened live.

Mouse Detective

Iger ONLY addressed Avatar when questioned by a fanboi.....only. He did an entire presentation highlighting P&R and their future and he talked about everything from Shanghai and HKDL to DCL expansion to DCA's makeover to our modest little Fantasyland beautification project. Nothing about Avatar.

This says it all. Avatar ain't coming.

Magenta Panther

I just answered wrote this on another thread as I didn't see this one, but before the hype machine starts about IGER SAYS AVATAR IS COMING, THOSE HATERS DON'T KNOW A THING ETC ETC ... I think I need to add some perspective and common sense here so ...

Iger ONLY addressed Avatar when questioned by a fanboi ... only. He did an entire presentation highlighting P&R and their future and he talked about everything from Shanghai and HKDL to DCL expansion to DCA's makeover to our modest little Fantasyland beautification project. Nothing about Avatar ... not ONE piece of artwork that hides most details to whet appetites. He ONLY left out the largest capital investment coming to the flagship resort ... the one announced at $500 million ... the one for DAK ... the one with tall blue aliens that are slaughtered by people who look a whole lot like the very military types whose families he covets as guests (he did mention the military prominently and then took questions on veterans deals).

In other words, he responded to what some Spirits in the fan community (and behind his own doors in Glendale and Burbank) are saying about the troubled project by saying almost nothing other than basically status quo or what Jim Hill got from his source in PR.

It means nothing ... no, actually, it means less than nothing.

Very telling when this word has been going around for 3-4 months now that he couldn't show off 1-2 renderings and even call them 'possible concepts' for the land ... and he damn well couldn't because the thing is a disaster.

Only surprise from the meeting: no questions about exec compensation and no questions about releasing Song of the South.

~Iger lies~

I hope he's also lying about superheroes in the parks. :hurl: The Marvel buy was yet another of his not-so-bright moves.

Magenta Panther

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a Car's attraction in WDW but at the same time, very happy. Please keep it out. Especially MK! I know turning the speedway into a RS raceway seems like it could work but I know I would not welcome the change at all.

Pirates.... I don't know. We have a classic attraction that remains a favorite for many even after the changes back when the movies came out. Now there's the pirate league. What more can they do? Overkill will be just that. I'll take quality over quantity.

Love Marvel, but not in WDW. I remember how I cringed every time I saw the Power Rangers in MGM (couldn't stand the craptastic show either) & will cringe just as bad if they have Spider-Man meet & greets or similar. No attractions either. It's bad enough the toys are everywhere.

Avatar... I've said before, even with two sequel's it won't have longevity. How relevant do you think those films will be in 10 years. It will never have the generations of fans like Star Wars & we don't even get a land for that. To be honest, I see WWOHP being dead in 10 years too. I see Avatar Land being the next River Country :lol:

The sad thing is Disney does the opposite of what most of us like and want to see. A Monsters Inc coaster like the door scene has been rumored for a while & most of us love the concept. I think if it was done right to where it was thrilling but still not too extreme for kids it would be a huge plus for DHS.

It's like Iger has little faith in actual Disney product. He's convinced the outside properties like Marvel and Avatar are the things that will save the company. :hurl:

TP2000

The project whose announcement warranted a press conference with Iger six months ago doesn't get mentioned at the annual meeting until a person in the crowd asks a question about it?

If that's the case, it sounds like this thing must be on life support.

Good catch, and a brilliant summary of the situation.

I'm now firmly in the camp that Avatarland is at best on the back burner (and the burner is turned way down and won't make that 2015 opening by a long shot), and at worst it's about to have it's plug pulled and filed away with the Mt. Fuji coaster for World Showcase and a monorail line to DAK.

Magenta Panther

Yes, I absolutely think so. Disney has announced billions of dollars worth of projects that never saw the light of day ... from entire parks to lands to hotel and timeshare developments to attractions. In some cases, they have even started land prep ... and then nothing.

Many of the above were masterplanned and ready to go ... any fanboi worth his Pixie Dust can tell you about the WRE and Thunder Mesa at MK ... or the Africa pavilion at EPCOT ... or Baby Herman's Buggy Ride at Disney-MGM ... or Disney's America ... or Hollywoodland at DL ... or Beauty and the Beast at DLP ... or Disneyquest Philadelphia ... or the early 1900s Florida themed DVC Resort (where the Four Seasons is going up) ... or how about the floating ship/traveling theme park ... or the National Waterfront Hotel ... or etc, etc.

The fact he put a date (and an incorrect one -- as 2016-17 was the timeframe always planned and there is NO way they could open something so expansive in '15 unless they started construction this week!:lol: ... look how long this very small-scale, relatively speaking, Fantasyland project is taking) tells me how unprepared he was for the question (which he shouldn't have) and his frosty response to both Avatar questions tells me he is aware of the talk that is spreading both inside the company and in the fan community.

What I am telling you is he just threw a date out that 'sounded right' to him and figured 'they're fans, what do they know?'

Now, you are correct about nothing proves it won't happen. I firmly believe it won't, but it isn't dead yet and his ego/rep is what concerns Iger.

But the FACT he ignored the entire Avatarland project when it should have been one of the top three things talked about (even if he just showed movie footage or stills) speaks volumes to anyone who understands the political atmosphere of the company and what talking about something (or ignoring it) really means.

P.S. Marvel isn't coming to WDW, fanbois. It legally can't. But you can enjoy it at UNI-Hollywood.:wave:

~Odds are about 8 to 2 at best of this thing happening!~

OH THANK GOD. Thank you for telling us all this. I hope it's all true. If I ever meet you in person, I'm buying you a beer! :wave:

ctxak98

Well this is good news for me! Im glad we have some confirmation now that it isnt completely dead. The only reason for Them to not have ANY sketches or ideas thus far is probably because they are trying to get it perfect for once. I think they might be getting official ideas down now and not change the whole plan half way through the building phase and come up with completely new sketches. I would rather them take there time and come up with awesome experiences instead of rushing our heads wth stuff that possibly wont ever come!

ctxak98

It's like Iger has little faith in actual Disney product. He's convinced the outside properties like Marvel and Avatar are the things that will save the company. :hurl:

While I do think Disney Movies and franchises do make good rides and attractions, I do think outside sources to overall help the factor of popularity in the parks. I would say disneys big attractions are mostly either involving non-disney elements or Made up by disney NOT including disneys characters as far as thrills go. Im not saying ALL im just saying most. In my opinion. And to compete with potter I think you do need an outside franchise like Avatar. Nothing else really fits disney that could be made into numerous attractions.

devoy1701

Good catch, and a brilliant summary of the situation.

I'm now firmly in the camp that Avatarland is at best on the back burner (and the burner is turned way down and won't make that 2015 opening by a long shot), and at worst it's about to have it's plug pulled and filed away with the Mt. Fuji coaster for World Showcase and a monorail line to DAK.

It really doesn't take too much thinking into it at all to come to this conclusion. Every project that they have done in the past tells us that we should have more details by now, and some artwork to see how it's progressing. We're 6 months in. they're supposedly spending $500M on this. And which ever one of you mentioned it, it's absolutely right that it is crazy that the original announcement was turned into a huge media gala and with all of the other P&R projects winding down and this being the biggest domestic investment at the moment, it doesn't get even a passing mention by Iger without it being forced upon him.

And 2015...c'mon. I've been hung up on this since page 1 of this thread! It was the very first thing I caught. Those bulldozers better get to work! (Maybe they're using the heavy machinary like in the movie to help clear the land!)

devoy1701

Well this is good news for me! Im glad we have some confirmation now that it isnt completely dead. The only reason for Them to not have ANY sketches or ideas thus far is probably because they are trying to get it perfect for once. I think they might be getting official ideas down now and not change the whole plan half way through the building phase and come up with completely new sketches. I would rather them take there time and come up with awesome experiences instead of rushing our heads wth stuff that possibly wont ever come!

If this is true, what happens when they release the "perfect" sketches and some aspects are met with the same reaction that the original FLE renderings did????

While I do think Disney Movies and franchises do make good rides and attractions, I do think outside sources to overall help the factor of popularity in the parks. I would say disneys big attractions are mostly either involving non-disney elements or Made up by disney NOT including disneys characters as far as thrills go. Im not saying ALL im just saying most. In my opinion. And to compete with potter I think you do need an outside franchise like Avatar. Nothing else really fits disney that could be made into numerous attractions.

Disney's Property library stretches 80 years of movies and stories... they have PLENTY that they could make into thrills and adventures. All of the Jules Verne and other stories that they have the rights to? Wasn't there a remake of 20,000 Leagues rumored not too long ago? And as you mention, they have to focus on movie tie-ins anyway! WDI is more than capable of coming up with Stand alone attractions and lands that can not only offer technological breakthroughs and the latest innovation in theme park entertainment, but also stand the test of time. They just need to be given the chance.

I say save the money on the licensing costs and let WDI spend the money on the actual plan.

Prototype82

I would like to still have faith in Avatar and faith in Disney as a competent company. Am I just kidding myself? I'm going to stay optimistic about this but 2015 does seem like a stretch. I'd hate to see this sink along with the Rhine River Cruise...

shmmrname

Boo to Avatar. I hope the date allows enough time for scrapping/replanning.

Personally, I don't think PotC or Cars fans are particularly under-served in the parks.

If done tastefully, Marvel would be a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom