Iger rumored to extend his term as CEO

Siren

LOL. I just knew it. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/iger-out-in-2018.914318/

In contrast to other CEO's - Iger is underpaid and way overextended. He has to oversee Disney Theme Parks, Disney Cruise Line, Disney River Cruise, Disney Hotels, Disney Restaurants, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, Disney Animation, ABC, ESPN, Disney Channel, Disney Video Games, Disney Toys, The Disney Store, The Disney Radio Channel, Disney Licensing and Merchandising, etc.

I also figured that Iger wasn't going anywhere once he was appointed to that panel of CEO's.

Ideally, Iger should stay on until both Star Wars Lands are completed.

Bandini

On what do you base this assertion?
Creating a ride management system rather than creating new attractions, increasing upsells, increasing the amount of DVC properties, increasing the capacity in the MK by pouring more cement rather than enlarging the park and adding more attractions. Iger's continued stock buybacks to assure the value remains strong. That's just a few issues.

L.C. Clench

Not to be too cynical, but does it really matter? Do we expect the Board to go with someone not in the same vein as Iger, probably even someone suggested by Iger?

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
This would be funny if it wasn't true. I really think they are grooming Chapek at this point which actually may make people want Iger back.

RobidaFlats

This would be funny if it wasn't true. I really think they are grooming Chapek at this point which actually may make people want Iger back.

This whole thing is just the Eisner fiasco all over again. Eisner had complete control of the Board and refused to groom a successor making it difficult to replace him. Despite part of the deal in dumping Eisner being splitting up Chariman and CEO, sure enough in 2012 Iger became both. Now he hasn't groomed a successor and the same arguments can be used as to why he can't be replaced yet. Although I'm sure he has the Board locked up anyway.

PB Watermelon

On what do you base this assertion? Please tell me it is more than simply higher stock prices and crowd levels.

Unlike Eisner, he doesn't antagonize talent. One of his first acts was mending the relationship with Pixar, and bringing them under the Disney umbrella. Unlike Eisner, he doesn't micromanage, he lets Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, and WDAS run their own show. It's why Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney in the first place, because Lucas was impressed by how Iger treated Pixar. Unlike Miller, he doesn't live in the past pumping out cheap product in the mold of the low-budget comedies of the 60's or critically-panned large budget films reacting to the success of other studios. Bob took a company in crisis, and piece by piece, transformed it into the leading entertainment company on the planet. It won't last forever - the comic book bubble will eventually burst, Star Wars films every year may prove too much sauce for the goose, the novelty of live-action versions of hit animated classics will wear off, people may be disappointed with massive theme park expansions entailing few actual attractions (Star Wars land - two rides, Pandora - two rides, etc.)...but for now, and the immediate future, his management style has done wonders for the company. "Only in it for the paycheck"? Naah. He's got some problems with cord cutting, which is hurting Disney's stock price as revenues from ESPN and others continue to slip. That's a real problem, not sure what the answer is there. But for now and the immediate future, he's atop a creative juggernaut he set in motion. Best leader since Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom