Iger mentions plans for EPCOT

HDS

New Bench.gif

hpyhnt 1000

A lack of variety hurts WDW. There is no need for MK 2.0 at EPCOT, but that is where they are driving. Nemo, Frozen, 90s Ellen, Honey I Crammed a Honey I Shrunk The Audience character into Imagination for unnecessary synergy, and the threat of of things like rats in France all hurt EPCOT. WDW management seems to forget that there are customers out there who don't care for the Magic Kingdom, and simply want a product that used to be offered.

I don't think that The Walt Disney Company cares about those customers anymore. Look at Touchstone Pictures.

This. And that's reflected in just about every aspect of the resort.

On TV and web commercials, just about everything involves Cinderella Castle, princesses, the Fab Five, and some reference to "magic." Plus every ad features that stereotypical family with their 2.4 perfect kids. Then once you're onsite, new park attractions all have to revolve around some kind of existing character or IP. Anyone hoping for new unique attractions like those from "old school" Disney is out of luck. And don't forget those hyped up meet and greets!

Even the hotels are in on the act. A prime example of this are the changes being made to Wilderness Lodge. Disney has ripped out old-growth trees that took decades to mature just so a few more people can have a "theme park view" and see Cinderella Castle from their bed. Never mind that those trees were left there deliberately so that the resort lived up to its "wilderness" theme. And the newest resort, Art of Animation, is all geared toward synergy. The company has 75 years worth of animation history, yet focused on 4 franchises that A) already have sizable presence in the parks and B) that are from the 90s and 00s.

Epcot certainly isn't the only part of WDW that has suffered from Magic Kingdom-itis.

Brad Bishop

Even the hotels are in on the act. A prime example of this are the changes being made to Wilderness Lodge. Disney has ripped out old-growth trees that took decades to mature just so a few more people can have a "theme park view" and see Cinderella Castle from their bed. Never mind that those trees were left there deliberately so that the resort lived up to its "wilderness" theme.

I had to go to Google Earth to look. I can't tell if they mowed them down for the view or if they mowed them down to build another DVC.

They did it to both sides so I'm guessing more rooms/DVC:

Tour_Guide_and_Google_Earth_Pro.png

Still, the whole point of the Wilderness Lodge is to literally feel like you're in a lodge in the wilderness and that's kind of lost when you take the wilderness part away.

dstrawn9889

I had to go to Google Earth to look. I can't tell if they mowed them down for the view or if they mowed them down to build another DVC.

They did it to both sides so I'm guessing more rooms/DVC:

View attachment 139998

Still, the whole point of the Wilderness Lodge is to literally feel like you're in a lodge in the wilderness and that's kind of lost when you take the wilderness part away.
Oh GREAT Flying Spaghetti Monster Damnit, at least let them get done with the resort before you start badmouthing it

MississippiBelle

The word of the day is 'priorities'.

The board does not give Iger a blank check. And notice that Iger rarely starts something he can't finish to the satisfaction of most. The average guest does not give a whit about what purists think. Their kids want to experience their favorite IP's so we get Frozen. Epcot needs help, so Frozen goes there. The old world showcase concept is no longer compelling so Frozen goes into Norway. Iger can show the Frozen numbers to the board and get more approved for new projects.

Iger does not take Beastly Kingdom and turn it into CMM. He does not give us Dinorama or radically scaled back KRR. If he can't give us your wished for Space Mountain with all the bells and whistles he would rather wait for another day.

And before anyone says TSL is Iger's Dinorama, please reconsider. The TS IP will include 3 major attractions. The beloved TSMM, the family Slinky coaster, and a ride based on a very popular Carsland attraction. Except bigger, better and improved.

And remember, their is plenty of room for Pixar Place to expand so Iger also does things with an eye to the future.

Priorities not Disney Puritanism.

Fear?

These are perfect adds for WS. I'd add Mulan to that list also. Maybe a India pavilion featuring The Jungle Book. Endless possibilities.

I will probably not have the popular opinion here, but hear me out.

I'm willing to accept that Epcot is going to be IP filled- if that means the Disney corp has to invest heavily in cleaning up the park and adding more attractions. (can a girl get some shade too? I know benches are asking too much...)

The Epcot of the past is dead, gone, and buried (the tombstones are front and center) and the whole shebang needs revamped. The original ideas of Epcot are no longer interesting enough for today's brand new guests who probably relate Aladdin more to Morocco than the original idea of the pavillion being a showcase of Morocco. ((Please note, Today's Brand New Guests and not Those Of You Who Have Been Coming To The Park Since Opening Day. There's a HUGE difference there. Yall have spent your money with Disney, they're out to milk the fresh, new, younger cows now))

Not saying I'm HAPPY with the change, but Disney has sat on their hands long enough and left the park go stale, today's consumers will accept anything shoehorned into that park as long as it's open by their vacation time.

Totally IMHO, and FWIW, and whatever other stance shortening bunch of letters ya'll wanna add. :\

I'll be honest up front and say that I didn't read 17 pages worth of comments (I got to page 8). I agree with these two. I think we are too far gone to ever hope for getting the original EPCOT back. If introducing IP based attractions is what it takes to get EPCOT some attention, then that's what I'll take. They don't have to be obtrusive overhauls (cough frozen cough), I think they can feasibly be worked into the existing frame work. In this example, Mulan is based in the totally real country of China, so there's no need to redo all of the buildings to look like a fictional country (cough Arendelle cough). I honestly think that this is the only way EPCOT will ever see any attention. I would also like to add that I don't agree with a lot that Iger has done, I also like to joke at his expense, but I think that it can be argued in SOME cases that he's trying to work with plans that he knows will gain the traction they need to be pushed forwards. Let's face it, the masses don't care about originality.

Progress.City

Original Poster
Are there enough middle class people with disposable income living in China's mixed economy to support such a giant entertainment and vacation resort complex as is SDL?

Tavernacle12

I'll be honest up front and say that I didn't read 17 pages worth of comments (I got to page 8). I agree with these two. I think we are too far gone to ever hope for getting the original EPCOT back. If introducing IP based attractions is what it takes to get EPCOT some attention, then that's what I'll take. They don't have to be obtrusive overhauls (cough frozen cough), I think they can feasibly be worked into the existing frame work. In this example, Mulan is based in the totally real country of China, so there's no need to redo all of the buildings to look like a fictional country (cough Arendelle cough). I honestly think that this is the only way EPCOT will ever see any attention. I would also like to add that I don't agree with a lot that Iger has done, I also like to joke at his expense, but I think that it can be argued in SOME cases that he's trying to work with plans that he knows will gain the traction they need to be pushed forwards. Let's face it, the masses don't care about originality.

I think it's totally possible for Epcot to return to what it was IF someone high up wants it to. Nemo is a cheap overlay that could be removed for something better, Imagination and Ellen need refurbs, Wonders Of Life and Innoventions is still there to be utilized. Test Track, Illuminations, The Land, and Spaceship Earth are fine. It's not like Hollywood Studios where the Backlot and Animation Studio were gutted.

Also, while Frozen may not take place in Norway, no Norweigan buildings are getting redone for it, and the new building is based on Classic Norweigan architecture instead of Arendale from Frozen.

jt04

Are there enough middle class people with disposable income living in China's mixed economy to support such a giant entertainment and vacation resort complex as is SDL?

I would think just the city of Shanghai will provide enough customers. I can't imagine it won't be a great success.

jt04

I think it's totally possible for Epcot to return to what it was IF someone high up wants it to. Nemo is a cheap overlay that could be removed for something better, Imagination and Ellen need refurbs, Wonders Of Life and Innoventions is still there to be utilized. Test Track, Illuminations, The Land, and Spaceship Earth are fine. It's not like Hollywood Studios where the Backlot and Animation Studio were gutted.

Also, while Frozen may not take place in Norway, no Norweigan buildings are getting redone for it, and the new building is based on Classic Norweigan architecture instead of Arendale from Frozen.

Nemo is not a cheap overlay.

jt04

It was.

It took monies allocated for both Seas and Imagaintion and barely made it. Half Seabase Alpha 1986, half cartoon overlay.

I meant in quality not what it cost. Such a great improvement. Although the pavilion also needs an E-Ticket. IMO.

jt04

Have you ridden the ride in person? See I was under the impression you haven't been to the parks? You do not get to have a "valid" opinion about something you haven't seen in person.

About 5 or 6 times. Prefer it to the old configuration. I was pleasantly surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom