Iger Confirms Star Wars Domestic Parks Presence

cw1982

Talking to my cousin, Her and her husband are imagineers. She couldn't tell me what she was working on but she said it was a newer property and that don't think small think really big. I asked like 5th gate big.

I'm not sure how TDO could possibly be seriously considering a 5th gate when three of the four they currently have still need significant work. If this is true, TDO is even less intelligent than some around here claim.

I don't mean to insult your cousin and her husband directly, but TDO definitely has other things that really need to be fixed before they add another log on the fire.

Mike S

I'm not sure how TDO could possibly be seriously considering a 5th gate when three of the four they currently have still need significant work. If this is true, TDO is even less intelligent than some around here claim.

I don't mean to insult your cousin and her husband directly, but TDO definitely has other things that really need to be fixed before they add another log on the fire.
And the fourth could just use some work. Still no E Tickets since 1992. Embarrassing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nothing, in moderation.... there are just way too many.... let's see... Haunted Mansion , Buzz LIghtyear, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, The LIving Seas with Nemo and friends, Spaceship Earth, ....
That's only five. Over 4 parks.

Technically they've lost another three from Epcot over the years so there even less now.

By your reakoning, they have too many boat rides too.... Jungle Cruise, PotC, Iasw, Gran Fiesta, Living with the Land....

If anything they need more. Its one of the things Disney is famous for.

Gomer

Technically they've lost another three from Epcot over the years so there even less now.

By your reakoning, they have too many boat rides too.... Jungle Cruise, PotC, Iasw, Gran Fiesta, Living with the Land....

Omnimovers are like vanilla ice cream. People complain about how bland they are but ignore what can be done with them. The ride mechanics are a base layer for a far more interesting experience. Just like a banana split, hot fudge sundae, or vanilla milkshake, if you put in the effort on the rest it can still be a unique and interesting experience. But if you cheap out and only throw on some sprinkles every time, you might get sick of it quickly.

If Disney creates compelling and unique rides based on omnimover attractions, then there is no reason to concern yourself with what kind of vehicle you are on. For the most part, Disney's boat rides are still some of their best so people don't complain with those. But rides like Nemo and LM have exposed the omnimover to some criticism as people unfairly blame the omnimover, not what was done around it.

Beholder

The current Living Seas and the mighty Horizons. Both share the same basic ride concept, but couldn't be more different in terms of execution and design quality. I love omnimovers and would like to see more, especially on the scale and with the ambition of Horizons, WoM, or HM.

Mawg

I don't feel that WDW needs a 5th gate yet or anytime soon, but HS has pretty much lost its identity. If you add more StarWars to this park and with such the large IP that Star Wars is, I think over time it could just completely overwhelm this park. It would become the Half StarWars Park and Half everything else Hollywood park. it seems a fifth gate maybe able to support Star Wars or maybe they should just slowly start over on HS until it become the new Star Wars park. Just throwing out some bad ideas.

Cesar R M

meet and greets? or themed bathrooms? :hilarious:

DisneyGentleman

That all being said, it is not on the same scale as Star Wars. Star Wars was a 10m dollar movie that only opened in 60 or so theaters and then took the world by storm until it became the highest grossing movie of all time (until it was passed by ET 4 years later). Walter Cronkite had to do news stories on Star Wars mania and theaters not being able to support the amount of business that was crowding them.
Yep, let's lobby for a Walter Cronkite attraction.

It seems like you are missing my point. Yes, I know you all love Star Wars - I get it. But that was then - this is now. Kids don't fawn over Princess Leia because she looks like their grandmother. Also movie theaters are pretty empty compared to the past, and most kids have their nose buried in a phone. Network television is dying and what they say in the evening news matters to very few.

Times change, tastes change, and we don't live in the past.

Gomer

Yep, let's lobby for a Walter Cronkite attraction.

It seems like you are missing my point. Yes, I know you all love Star Wars - I get it. But that was then - this is now. Kids don't fawn over Princess Leia because she looks like their grandmother. Also movie theaters are pretty empty compared to the past, and most kids have their nose buried in a phone. Network television is dying and what they say in the evening news matters to very few.

Times change, tastes change, and we don't live in the past.
First, that response you quoted wasn't to your comments but to the comments comparing the surprise success of GotG to the original SW phenomenon. So, yes I was missing your point there as I wasn't responding to it.

Do you have kids? I do. Star Wars is still pretty popular with both the 5th grade and kindergarten classes I see. Clone Wars backpacks and lunch boxes, toys, lego star wars, etc...

I get the feeling you aren't a fan. That's fine. But that doesn't mean today's youth has turned against it. The success of GotG proves that there is an audience ready for more star wars. Its a similar feeling space opera with a good deal of fun and adventure built in. Yes, there will be old people in it (god forbid) but there will also be young people and new characters to latch onto. We'll see, maybe you are right and SW will fail miserably because these kids today will reject anything us old folks like out of hand. But, I'm not betting on it.

twebber55

First, that response you quoted wasn't to your comments but to the comments comparing the surprise success of GotG to the original SW phenomenon. So, yes I was missing your point there as I wasn't responding to it.

Do you have kids? I do. Star Wars is still pretty popular with both the 5th grade and kindergarten classes I see. Clone Wars backpacks and lunch boxes, toys, lego star wars, etc...

I get the feeling you aren't a fan. That's fine. But that doesn't mean today's youth has turned against it. The success of GotG proves that there is an audience ready for more star wars. Its a similar feeling space opera with a good deal of fun and adventure built in. Yes, there will be old people in it (god forbid) but there will also be young people and new characters to latch onto. We'll see, maybe you are right and SW will fail miserably because these kids today will reject anything us old folks like out of hand. But, I'm not betting on it.
todays youth is very much into star wars...the 10 and under crowd love it still

Beholder

todays youth is very much into star wars...the 10 and under crowd love it still

Exactly. Most of the big Marvel and DC characters were created in the 30's through the 60, early 70's and I think they are doing rather well. Take a timeless story, give it a compelling world in which to tell that story and whatever generation currently enjoying becomes irrelevant. They still make Hercules movies. And it's pretty old.

Gomer

Exactly. Most of the big Marvel and DC characters were created in the 30's through the 60, early 70's and I think they are doing rather well. Take a timeless story, give it a compelling world in which to tell that story and whatever generation currently enjoying becomes irrelevant. They still make Hercules movies. And it's pretty old.
Just look at the last 5 months or so. Captain America, Godzilla, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, X-men, Spiderman, Planet of the Apes. Pretty sure GotG* was the only blockbuster of the entire summer which was developed as a property after 1990.

*edit: referring to present incarnation of GotG with the characters used in the movie. The original comic greatly preceded 1990.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom