News Iger at Parks This Week

muddyrivers

I just finished reading a chapter in the Imagineering Story covering this and I think it is something most of Disney's top brass have lost sight of. Marty Sklar authored "Mickey's Ten Commandments":

1. Know your audience: "Don't bore people, talk down to them, or lose them by assuming that they know what you know." This is an absolute necessity —without a clear understanding of your customers, you cannot create solutions that solve their problems or add value for them.

2. Wear your guest's shoes: "Insist that designers, staff, and your board members experience your facility as visitors as often as possible." This approach increases the empathy your design team has for your customers, making the designs you create more appropriate and helpful. I once read a story about an Imagineer who walked around Walt Disney World on his knees to get a child’s perspective of the park.

3. Organize the flow of people and ideas: "Use good storytelling techniques; tell good stories not lectures; lay out your exhibit with a clear logic." Storytelling is a vitally important skill in CX, not just when explaining your final design solution to stakeholders, but also in your designs themselves—especially if you are trying to describe an offering to new customers.

4. Create a weenie: "Lead visitors from one area to another by creating visual magnets and giving visitors rewards for making the journey." Imagineers called these magnets “weenies”–objects that are large enough to see from a distance and interesting enough to draw their attention. (If you have ever visited a Disney park, you probably have noticed the weenie in the form of Sleeping Beauty’s or Cinderella’s castles for example.) Very good advice, and when designing a "stepped" process providing a 'weenie' to follow will result in lower abandon rates and increased customer satisfaction.

5. Communicate with visual literacy: "Make good use of all the non-verbal ways of communication—color, shape, form, texture." Think about your local Apple store, it has a clean, glassy, modern environment that compliments the technology. How about your favorite weekend get-away, is it furnished with warm colors and soft appointment to make it more inviting?

6. Avoid overload: "Resist the temptation to tell too much, to have too many objects; don't force people to swallow more than they can digest, try to stimulate and provide guidance to those who want more." Simply put, keep it simple.

7. Tell one story at a time: "If you have a lot of information, divide it into distinct, logical, organized stories; people can absorb and retain information more clearly if the path to the next concept is clear and logical." Nothing loses a customer more quickly than information overload. If you are following the first commandment, knowing your audience, you can custom tailor the information to suit their needs.

8. Avoid contradiction: "Clear institutional identity helps give you the competitive edge. The public needs to know who you are and what differentiates you from other institutions they may have seen." Disney thought about branding before most people even knew what the term meant. It should start with your design, brand is not a separate mechanism that is applied at the end—it is an intricate part of the total experience.

9. For every ounce of treatment, provide a ton of fun: "How do you woo people from all other temptations? Give people plenty of opportunity to enjoy themselves by emphasizing ways that let people participate in the experience and by making your environment rich and appealing to all senses." Happy customers have a tendency to spend more, entertain them and differentiate their experience in the process.

10. Keep it up: "Never underestimate the importance of cleanliness and routine maintenance, people expect to get a good show every time, people will comment more on broken and dirty stuff." This is an absolute golden rule when it comes to process and service design. Do your best, follow your process, and deliver quality every time.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I've walked onto every attraction this week, including Big Thunder about six times. That's worth $15. I do, however, loathe Individual Lightning Lanes (and virtual queues). And they should be publishing prices at least 30 days in advance.
Relatively lower crowd week. Try Genie+ during more crowded times

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Also, on commandment number 10.

This for me is the current biggest issue. Bigger than issues with Genie+, park passes etc etc.

My top 3 priorities for the immediate future (in no particular order). Would be:

Maintenance
Maintenance
And
Maintenance
Yes. Including the resorts please. The parks are in better shape the hotels IMO.

Lilofan

Also, on commandment number 10.

This for me is the current biggest issue. Bigger than issues with Genie+, park passes etc etc.

My top 3 priorities for the immediate future (in no particular order). Would be:

Maintenance
Maintenance
And
Maintenance
Prior to his promotion to be President of WDW , Jeff Valhe was in charge of all maintenance of WDW for many years.

Abs

Relatively lower crowd week. Try Genie+ during more crowded times

We used Genie+ during Thanksgiving week and it worked perfectly. We were able to ride basically anything we wanted to with minimum waiting. Due to school it's one of the only weeks we can travel if we want to avoid summer so Thanksgiving it is. You know what never worked well during Thanksgiving? Fast Pass+. In those days we would get our 3 rides, everything else would have 2 hour waits, and we were pretty much done.

I get it. Genie+ is expensive. I need to see Disney put some of this revenue back into the parks. I do however think the park reservations and Genie+ are here to stay and do make the overall experience better.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
We used Genie+ during Thanksgiving week and it worked perfectly. We were able to ride basically anything we wanted to with minimum waiting. Due to school it's one of the only weeks we can travel if we want to avoid summer so Thanksgiving it is. You know what never worked well during Thanksgiving? Fast Pass+. In those days we would get our 3 rides, everything else would have 2 hour waits, and we were pretty much done.

I get it. Genie+ is expensive. I need to see Disney put some of this revenue back into the parks. I do however think the park reservations and Genie+ are here to stay and do make the overall experience better.

Glad it worked out for you during the holiday weekend.

You lost me on the park reservations make the overall experience better. Josh is that you?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Bob thanks you.

Making genie + included in admission would make the overall experience marginally better if it’s here to stay, with severe tweaking. But right now it -and lightning lane- have wrecked the parks operational guest flow (cast words, not mine)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've walked onto every attraction this week, including Big Thunder about six times. That's worth $15. I do, however, loathe Individual Lightning Lanes (and virtual queues). And they should be publishing prices at least 30 days in advance.
It’s January 20th, Ace…

I’ll meet you on spring break in 4 years…it’ll be a hoot as the gates of Rome continue to crumble 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob thanks you.

Making genie + included in admission would make the overall experience marginally better if it’s here to stay. But right now it -and lightning lane- have wrecked the parks operational guest flow (cast words, not mine)
I wonder if it has to do with adding zero operational capacity from 2005-15 and then rigging two DOA crowd management systems to try and smoke screen cover for it?

Nah…I’m probably just delusional (standard operating procedure)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wonder if it has to do with adding zero operational capacity from 2005-15 and then rigging two DOA crowd management systems to try and smoke screen cover for it?

Nah…I’m probably just delusional (standard operating procedure)
Nearly 75% of guests apparently like it remember?

Bit like the box coaster being “one of the worlds longest indoor coasters”

What does cousin Josh say about the nearly 1/3 of guests who don’t like it?

Abs

Glad it worked out for you during the holiday weekend.

You lost me on the park reservations make the overall experience better. Josh is that you?

LOL. No. I am very, very unimpressed that the extra revenue is going straight into board members pockets and nothing is being done to make the parks better. Even though I DO like Genie+ after our next trip we will be taking a break because there will be nothing new for us to check out...for probably a very long time.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
LOL. No. I am very, very unimpressed that the extra revenue is going straight into board members pockets and nothing is being done to make the parks better. Even though I DO like Genie+ after our next trip we will be taking a break because there will be nothing new for us to check out...for probably a very long time.
Yeah I don’t think a lot of Disney fans understand what the next 3-5 years are going to look like at the parks just yet. Not much different. Moana waterfalls and a controversial splash mountain redo isn’t going to cut it and we all know when they make any announcement about what will be coming will take forever and have budget cuts to deliver something less exciting than the concept art

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom