Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

DarkMetroid567

I’d settle for public crapping on Rian the manboy at this point. Consolation.

I love this narrative that Rian is some child because he went after people who were harassing his actors. If Star Wars fans are unhappy with Rian's conduct, I can't wait to see how they react once Taika Waititi makes a mildly controversial choice in his film. He'll make Rian look like the pope.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love this narrative that Rian is some child because he went after people who were harassing his actors. If Star Wars fans are unhappy with Rian's conduct, I can't wait to see how they react once Taika Waititi makes a mildly controversial choice in his film. He'll make Rian look like the pope.
You don’t understand...I don’t like the look of Kennedy’s defense of Johnson after they turned the ship due south.

He’s a good director for other stuff...best not venture into the Star Wars neighborhood Again

And as far as Waititi goes...best be studying on what “not to do”...as opposed to which Led Zeppelin songs to use

Darkprime

There's already some speculation here In New Zealand hes going to cast a Maori actor as a Jedi. I'm sure that will go down well. I'm hyped for it if he does do it but I can already see there being the usual PC/SJW moaning.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's already some speculation here In New Zealand hes going to cast a Maori actor as a Jedi. I'm sure that will go down well. I'm hyped for it if he does do it but I can already see there being the usual PC/SJW moaning.
If the character isn’t boring and useless...there will be no complaining.

The defenders against criticism have always missed the point of everyone who wasn’t happy except the wingnuts.

There are many more of the former than the latter

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a longtime Star Wars fan, I have to say the Disney ownership and internal politics has actually pushed me to the point where I have become disillusioned to the point that I no longer enjoy discussing Star Wars. I have written an article about my disillusionment.
It’s just...

...yeah...I can totally see it...

I’m actually enjoying this “pause” of material more than I thought...what’s going onto Disney+ is great - minus the awful feature film...the products are fun to look at of late...etc.

I just can’t bring myself to quit it completely...those movies got me through really depressing/disappointing times when I was younger. A bit of a beacon.

I probably should just watch from the cheap seats until at least a firm new direction is taken. Captain america the winter soldier is 1000 Better than what they’ve managed to over-manufacture at LFL...

Why is this so hard? It shouldn’t be...

Gomer

If the character isn’t boring and useless...there will be no complaining.

The defenders against criticism have always missed the point of everyone who wasn’t happy except the wingnuts.

There are many more of the former than the latter
This goes both ways. Not everyone who hates the Disney Era is a wingnut and not everyone who loves it is a shill or deluded fanboy. There are haters and lovers of the new films who each have valid viewpoints.

The internet doesn't generally allow for nuance, but the truth of these matters fall likely well between all the extreme arguments.

Kennedy has made some bad decisions and some good ones. Disney has made some bad decisions and some good ones. Filoni is talented but far from infallible (see: his poor episode of Mandalorian or Resistance). Favreau as well.

From what I've heard, Lucas's treatments veered too close to the prequels for Disney's liking. If that's the case they likely made the right decision in not using them, as films in that realm would have scored well with some hard core fans, but not likely with the general public. Making the right decision in skipping the Lucas treatments does not mean, however, that they made all correct decisions in the route they went either. Sometimes too much course correction can have the opposite of the intended effect (see: TLJ to TRoS)

Star Wars under Disney has not hit it's full potential. But that doesn't mean it has been a failure. By the standards of pretty much any other property it's been a massive success. By Star Wars standards, a bit of a disappointment. Whether the blame falls on Kennedy or Disney, for that none of us can actually know for sure. I find it just as likely that Kennedy has been fending off corporate overlords as much as possible to save what she can vs Iger and co not being able to control her bad decisions. In terms of quality, I trust the folks at Lucasfilm more than the ones in the Disney Executive offices. But that's just my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This goes both ways. Not everyone who hates the Disney Era is a wingnut and not everyone who loves it is a shill or deluded fanboy. There are haters and lovers of the new films who each have valid viewpoints.

The internet doesn't generally allow for nuance, but the truth of these matters fall likely well between all the extreme arguments.

Kennedy has made some bad decisions and some good ones. Disney has made some bad decisions and some good ones. Filoni is talented but far from infallible (see: his poor episode of Mandalorian or Resistance). Favreau as well.

From what I've heard, Lucas's treatments veered too close to the prequels for Disney's liking. If that's the case they likely made the right decision in not using them, as films in that realm would have scored well with some hard core fans, but not likely with the general public. Making the right decision in skipping the Lucas treatments does not mean, however, that they made all correct decisions in the route they went either. Sometimes too much course correction can have the opposite of the intended effect (see: TLJ to TRoS)

Star Wars under Disney has not hit it's full potential. But that doesn't mean it has been a failure. By the standards of pretty much any other property it's been a massive success. By Star Wars standards, a bit of a disappointment. Whether the blame falls on Kennedy or Disney, for that none of us can actually know for sure. I find it just as likely that Kennedy has been fending off corporate overlords as much as possible to save what she can vs Iger and co not being able to control her bad decisions. In terms of quality, I trust the folks at Lucasfilm more than the ones in the Disney Executive offices. But that's just my opinion.
I totally see that point...the narrative is always hijacked by the extremes.

I don’t agree that lucasfilm has a good team in place...I actually think it’s as bad as possible right now...

But nothing is 100% good or bad as is often portrayed. Shades of grey in the middle.

Gomer

I totally see that point...the narrative is always hijacked by the extremes.

I don’t agree that lucasfilm has a good team in place...I actually think it’s as bad as possible right now...

But nothing is 100% good or bad as is often portrayed. Shades of grey in the middle.
I don't agree that it's as bad as possible. It could definitely be worse. I mean it could be Sony circa 2015. But I do agree it probably could be better managed than it is currently even if I am more favorable on the overall output of the Disney era than you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't agree that it's as bad as possible. It could definitely be worse. I mean it could be Sony circa 2015. But I do agree it probably could be better managed than it is currently even if I am more favorable on the overall output of the Disney era than you.
Ehh...whoever’s ultimately responsible...

The goal was to make the Star Wars sequel series...I think that’s as a good of a starting point as any movie studio has ever had in history.

They ended up brutal...for a variety of reasons...but it was like plugging holes in a dam and fumbling around...
But they breached the dam in the first place. Just clunky and disjointed.

Star Wars was in a place where the prequels were gonna throw shade on any mistakes...so it wasn’t easy...but I think Disney showed remarkable creative hubris.

Gomer

Ehh...whoever’s ultimately responsible...

The goal was to make the Star Wars sequel series...I think that’s as a good of a starting point as any movie studio has ever had in history.

They ended up brutal...for a variety of reasons...but it was like plugging holes in a dam and fumbling around...
But they breached the dam in the first place. Just clunky and disjointed.

Star Wars was in a place where the prequels were gonna throw shade on any mistakes...so it wasn’t easy...but I think Disney showed remarkable creative hubris.
WHile the only part of the ST I personally thought was "brutal" was the dumpster fire that was TRoS, I do agree that most of their problems can be traced back to indecisiveness. Whether that's from Disney or LF, they clearly have had trouble staying any course they select. Occasionally that has worked out well for them. Like saving Rogue One from tedium or the reshoots to change the the tone of Rey's character for TFA. But more often than not, it's resulted in an overall haphazard feel as well as stops and starts on any number of projects.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I know Favreau's name gets tossed around a lot, but would he even want the job? He seems to like jumping around, directing a random assortment of projects ranging from Chef to Iron Man to Jungle Book. Obviously, he is at the helm of the Mandalorian and seemingly liking the role, but taking KK's job would basically require a full-time commitment to Lucasfilm, and I am not sure if he wants that for the long haul. Filoni loves Lucasfilm and does not seem to have an interest in leaving, so he would definitely be okay with the long commitment. He is personally a huge Star Wars fan and really understands the fanbase. The Clone Wars was his brainchild and very well received by fans, especially impressive given he had to work with Cartoon Network, then Netflix, before concluding on D+. He is also very involved with the Mandalorian, which is obviously seeing much success. The only drawback I see is that he comes from animation and Lucasfilm's biggest projects are live-action, although he does have extensive writing experience and is gaining live action credibility through the Mandalorian.
jon.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney has a habit of running its own franchises into the ground through over-exposure and/or lackluster sequels (Pirates, HSM, Narnia, Tron etc).

In hindsight, should we have been surprised they did the same with Star Wars?
They did already if we’re honest?

We’re talking about them muscling in on Star treks market now...

brianstl

The biggest problem for Disney Star Wars is they didn't know their audience when it came to main movie series. I understand the thought behind changing direction of the franchise and turning the focus away from Luke, Leia, Han, etc. The mistake was forcing that throughout the sequel trilogy instead of using the films slots that became Rogue One and Solo for that purpose. The vast majority of their audience wanted a satisfying and rewarding conclusion to the stories of Leia, Luke and Han from the sequels. They didn't get that and as a result many turned on everything new in the series. If our old heroes would have got some kind of send off similar to Tony Stark's in the Avengers series the sequels would have made much more money. Plus, a character like Rey would have been much better received across all of the fan base.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom