Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

BrianLo

Disney presser;

Academy AwardĀ® winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy AwardĀ® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.

In addition, EmmyĀ®-nominated writer Leslye Headland (Russian Doll, Bachelorette) is currently developing a new untitled Star Wars series for Disney+. Headland will write, executive produce, and serve as showrunner for the series, which adds to a growing list of Star Wars stories for Disneyā€™s streaming platform including The Mandalorian, now in post-production on Season Two, and two other previously announced series: one based on Cassian Andorā€™s life prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and another following the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: A New Hope.

Release dates for both Waititiā€™s and Headlandā€™s projects have not yet been announced.

Sounds like the internal drama didn't lead to any plan changes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney presser;

Academy AwardĀ® winner Taika Waititi, who recently won Best Adapted Screenplay for Jojo Rabbit and directed the widely-acclaimed first season finale episode of The Mandalorian on Disney+, will direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film for theatrical release.

Joining Waititi on the screenplay will be Academy AwardĀ® nominee Krysty Wilson-Cairns (1917, Last Night in Soho), who received a BAFTA Award for Outstanding British Film of the Year on the three-time Oscar-winning film, 1917.

In addition, EmmyĀ®-nominated writer Leslye Headland (Russian Doll, Bachelorette) is currently developing a new untitled Star Wars series for Disney+. Headland will write, executive produce, and serve as showrunner for the series, which adds to a growing list of Star Wars stories for Disneyā€™s streaming platform including The Mandalorian, now in post-production on Season Two, and two other previously announced series: one based on Cassian Andorā€™s life prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and another following the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi between Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: A New Hope.

Release dates for both Waititiā€™s and Headlandā€™s projects have not yet been announced.

Sounds like good planning didnā€™t lead to any ā€œplan changesā€ either...

Ladies and Gentlemen: Star Wars...tv franchise with no big screen presence.

Lol...donā€™t get me wrong: I love Sliders too šŸ¤Ŗ

BrianLo

Sounds like good planning didnā€™t lead to any ā€œplan changesā€ either...

Ladies and Gentlemen: Star Wars...tv franchise with no big screen presence.

Lol...donā€™t get me wrong: I love Sliders too šŸ¤Ŗ

Taika Waititi's project is screen based! They did reaffirm all the Disney+ content though and not the films, which says a lot.

I actually see it as a great reprieve from the wrong direction. Star Wars should have not had the Marvel model applied to it. It is better off as properly crafted infrequent blockbusters - opposed to their attempt to make it annual or biannual.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Taika Waititi's project is screen based! They did reaffirm all the Disney+ content though and not the films, which says a lot.

I actually see it as a great reprieve from the wrong direction. Star Wars should have not had the Marvel model applied to it. It is better off as properly crafted infrequent blockbusters - opposed to their attempt to make it annual or biannual.
Not to say any of this is ā€œbadā€...

But I think a quick correction of the film franchise is the best course of action. Donā€™t let it sit and let hunger from lack of new material allow bad movies to be made again with ā€œacceptanceā€. Bad for the franchise longterm viability.
That's because the "internal drama" only ever existed in this thread. :cool:
I donā€™t think you can make that jump necessarily...

Anytime Disney grief is exposed...their instinct is to act like everything is fine to maintain the front of complete control...

...yes...that even means doubling down on something they may not be sold on.

They still allow the rumors of rain Johnson going near their office again to circulate...which is never happening.

She had the game of thrones guys ā€œwalk awayā€...undoubtedly at gunpoint...after they crashed that ship into the iceberg...

Nobody tells the mouse they did anything wrong!!
...cause it never happened šŸ˜”

Ravenclaw78

Not to say any of this is ā€œbadā€...

But I think a quick correction of the film franchise is the best course of action. Donā€™t let it sit and let hunger from lack of new material allow bad movies to be made again with ā€œacceptanceā€. Bad for the franchise longterm viability.

I donā€™t think you can make that jump necessarily...

Anytime Disney grief is exposed...their instinct is to act like everything is fine to maintain the front of complete control...

...yes...that even means doubling down on something they may not be sold on.

They still allow the rumors of rain Johnson going near their office again to circulate...which is never happening.

She had the game of thrones guys ā€œwalk awayā€...undoubtedly at gunpoint...after they crashed that ship into the iceberg...

Nobody tells the mouse they did anything wrong!!
...cause it never happened šŸ˜”
I have no inside info of my own. Anything's possible. But the only place this alleged "news" was reported was here and a handful of YouTubers that read this thread and reblogged it. If there was validity to the rumor, WDWPro would not be the only source reporting on it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no inside info of my own. Anything's possible. But the only place this alleged "news" was reported was here and a handful of YouTubers that read this thread and reblogged it. If there was validity to the rumor, WDWPro would not be the only source reporting on it.
Point taken...

Iā€™m not big on ā€œinsidersā€ info unless it makes sense...then Iā€™m more than willing to listen.

This one gets a lot of ā€œdeservedā€ grief...but most of it isnā€™t outright crazy.

I think KK is not above trying to use Hollywood press contacts to force the management hand...

And I donā€™t get that...why so angry all the time?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To clarify:

1. A Taika Waititi theatrical Star Wars film.

2. A Leslye Headland Disney+ Star Wars series.
  • No mention of the leaked/rumor plot of an all-female lead
  • No mention of the leaked/rumor plot of a martial art adventure taking place in a different timeline
    • A "different timeline" is not the same thing as an "alternate timeline" -- no "Sliders"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To clarify:

1. A Taika Waititi theatrical Star Wars film.

2. A Leslye Headland Disney+ Star Wars series.
  • No mention of the leaked/rumor plot of an all-female lead
  • No mention of the leaked/rumor plot of a martial art adventure taking place in a different timeline
    • A "different timeline" is not the same thing as an "alternate timeline" -- no "Sliders"
Bummer...I like sliders. Especially bacon cheeseburger...

Ok...the clarification on the Waititi project....

Um...please tell that some fool doesnā€™t think that what Star Wars needs is Ragnarok??

More ā€œpoppyā€? More eye candy set to rock?

I hope itā€™s a completely different style. The plotlines of what Disney has done so far seem kinda juvenile already...

Weā€™ll see how it plays.

I want my Ashoka movie!! After watching clone wars again...I WANT IT!! šŸ˜”

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

YES PLEASE!!!!!! I always liked Ashoka but not a huge fan, but this last season she has literally become one of my top 5 favorites, possibly top 3. Just finished the last episode and the way the wrap it up is great. It is also some of the best looking animated content I think I have ever seen. There is a screen where they are just showing an exterior shot of the Venator Class Star Destroyer and it looks like you could reach out and touch it. Just an Amazing job by the guys doing the animation on this last season.

But on the topic of things Bob and Bob should be livid about has anyone been following the ShopDisney debacle? Everything for MaytheFourth sold out in second and that was if you could even get on the website. I tried buying a Hoth Starbucks mug sold out before I could check out tried to get the Dagobah one, got all the way to check out and then kicked me out only to find it had sold out as well. Similar stories all over the interwebs people are livid on twitter and for once I think they are justified.

doctornick

IMHO...

It's entirely possible - even likely - that the there was concern from TWDC about Headland's history and even a feeling that she was not thoroughly vetted enough before the leak occurred.

It's entirely possible - even likely - that whatever concern that occurred was completely blown out of proportion by the OP in his perpetual quest to bad mouth Kathleen Kennedy at any opportunity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
YES PLEASE!!!!!! I always liked Ashoka but not a huge fan, but this last season she has literally become one of my top 5 favorites, possibly top 3. Just finished the last episode and the way the wrap it up is great. It is also some of the best looking animated content I think I have ever seen. There is a screen where they are just showing an exterior shot of the Venator Class Star Destroyer and it looks like you could reach out and touch it. Just an Amazing job by the guys doing the animation on this last season.

But on the topic of things Bob and Bob should be livid about has anyone been following the ShopDisney debacle? Everything for MaytheFourth sold out in second and that was if you could even get on the website. I tried buying a Hoth Starbucks mug sold out before I could check out tried to get the Dagobah one, got all the way to check out and then kicked me out only to find it had sold out as well. Similar stories all over the interwebs people are livid on twitter and for once I think they are justified.
I could argue sheā€™s the best developed character in the entire history of Star Wars....

And make a pretty good case of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I hadnā€™t heard this...but shopDisney has been a full on disaster.

People are desperate to buy products online and itā€™s not cutting it.

Crap...I love the Starbucks mugs...now Iā€™m gonna have to pay pirate rates on eBay šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

doctornick

I agree. I'm kind of hoping that Ashoka being in The Mandalorian is a false rumor and she instead gets her own movie or series. She's a great character and it actually felt like The Clone Wars was as much if not more of a story about her than Anakin.

It's funny how much they improved prequel Anakin with The Clone Wars and especially the presence of Ashoka. Really makes his fall much more tragic, something the prequels fail to really achieve (beyond our interest in Vader from the OT).

Ravenclaw78

Point taken...

Iā€™m not big on ā€œinsidersā€ info unless it makes sense...then Iā€™m more than willing to listen.

This one gets a lot of ā€œdeservedā€ grief...but most of it isnā€™t outright crazy.

I think KK is not above trying to use Hollywood press contacts to force the management hand...

And I donā€™t get that...why so angry all the time?
I've reached the conclusion that he A) has legit theme park connections but doesn't always know how to filter the "maybes" from the "definites" and sometimes gets too wrapped up in "OMG I know something!" to exercise sound analysis; and B) has some contacts at Lucasfilm but either filters everything he hears through an "I hate KK" bias that warps the original message into something completely unrecognizable, or his contacts have the bias and everything they share with him is inherently flawed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I've reached the conclusion that he A) has legit theme park connections but doesn't always know how to filter the "maybes" from the "definites" and sometimes gets too wrapped up in "OMG I know something!" to exercise sound analysis; and B) has some contacts at Lucasfilm but either filters everything he hears through an "I hate KK" bias that warps the original message into something completely unrecognizable, or his contacts have the bias and everything they share with him is inherently flawed.
That is my take as well...

Burr under the saddle. very common quality of Disney employees at all levels. Highly intelligent...highly biased.
Loved Ragnarok so I'm very excited to see what Waika brings to the SW franchise. Wonder if Feige will be involved in this film as a producer.

I also loved IG-11 as a character (voiced by Waika) so I'm curious as to how much input he had in developing that role.
One of my least popular of unpopular opinions is I hate ragnarok. Probably my least favorite MCU movies.

I think itā€™s the ā€œThor and the furiousā€. Itā€™s ok for what it was in marvel...Star Wars least needs that kinda stuff now. Needs raw character driven stuff. Not fast paced bells and whistles.

Iā€™m familiar with the prequels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom