Iger and Chapek Livid With Lucasfilm

The Grand Inquisitor

I find Filoni to be a very dull storyteller. His episodes of The Mandolorian were for me, not very interesting or entertaining. I feel the same way about most of The Clone War episodes.

Jon Favreau is the way to go for Lucasfilm.
I disagree, But I do agree on Faverau. Jon can handle the business aspect and Dave can have creative control alongside with Jon.

Screamface

I disagree, But I do agree on Faverau. Jon can handle the business aspect and Dave can have creative control alongside with Jon.

Why wouldn't they get a business person to run the business but have heads of creative development? Which could have Dave and Jon.

The problem seems to be that KK sees her role as blindly supporting the film makers vision, when something like Star Wars needs someone holding the reigns of the over arching creative vision. Which is why the trilogy was a complete mess, with writers completely at odds with each other. It's also why so many projects have had major issues.

They also need people who understand and respect Star Wars. There is no purpose for a lot of the "new" material coming out of the story group than to crap all over the originals. Why go back into canon and claim Leia was the far superior force user and Yoda was disappointed he was stuck with Luke and not her?

The wrong people were hired and no one's over seeing what they are doing. Which is how you get a Star Wars theme park that doesn't feature Luke Skywalker. With a Mellenium Falcon ride that doesn't feature Han Solo. These mistakes go deeper than, "oops."

Animaniac93-98

These mistakes go deeper than, "oops."

The mistakes are also an example of hubris and cynicism towards the franchise that comes from the very top of corporate Disney.

A belief that Star Wars is a bottomless pit of profit. That it's invulnerable to criticism. That the Disney produced movies are more important than what came before. That general audiences are clamoring for constant content, no matter what it is. That they can do no wrong.

Only now is Disney starting to realize that's not the case.

Last edited:

WDW Pro

Original Poster
First search result for "Fandom Menace Definition" says it much better than I can: https://starwars.fandom.com/f/p/3343172654596332888

Anytime a group, whose identity is based upon criticism of film or the film industry, is labeled a hate group by anonymous internet posts... probably a good idea to use some healthy skepticism. Real hate groups need to be monitored by the government and watchdog groups to prevent hate crimes. Posting film critiques on YouTube seems a bit different. But that nuance might be lost on a10 year old posting Wookipedia articles.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And the rights to have X-Men, Deadpool, and The Fantastic Four into the MCU, which should be in Phase 4. Also, how could I forget Avatar, lol
They should’ve bought a portion of Fox, not the entire package.
The Murdochs wanted to dump all of the fox library because they saw it as an aging dinosaur and they like easy money...

Hence the bidding war to get it. Disney had little options than to take an old, bloated catalog of has been stuff.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Anytime a group, whose identity is based upon criticism of film or the film industry, is labeled a hate group by anonymous internet posts... probably a good idea to use some healthy skepticism. Real hate groups need to be monitored by the government and watchdog groups to prevent hate crimes. Posting film critiques on YouTube seems a bit different. But that nuance might be lost on a10 year old posting Wookipedia articles.
I think any time the term “hate group” is used...it had better not be sarcasm or tongue in cheek.

I don’t like it at all. Not liking the direction of an entertainment company and criticizing their attempts to exploit for money is NOT a hate group.

Everyone needs to grow up a little. You want “freedom” and “free speech”...know the line and keep your undies untangled on your own.

Last edited:

Ravenclaw78

"Hate group" as used here is certainly hyperbole (to an extent - there has grown to be a great deal of overlap between the membership of the alt-right, which absolutely are hate groups as defined legally, and this particularly toxic branch of Star Wars fandom). The Fandom Menace dates back at least as far as the special editions and prequel trilogy, but its membership and ideology have changed quite a bit since then.

SJN1279

I just watched the two part finale of The Clone Wars, and found it mostly entertaining. The show can get bogged down at times, but as the finale proved to me, it can be enjoyable at times as well.

Filoni as the head of Lucasfilm, I'm still not feeling though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Hate group" as used here is certainly hyperbole (to an extent - there has grown to be a great deal of overlap between the membership of the alt-right, which absolutely are hate groups as defined legally, and this particularly toxic branch of Star Wars fandom). The Fandom Menace dates back at least as far as the special editions and prequel trilogy, but its membership and ideology have changed quite a bit since then.
Hyperbole is not appropriate of that term...not in these times.

Sorry...it just isn’t.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just watched the two part finale of The Clone Wars, and found it mostly entertaining. The show can get bogged down at times, but as the finale proved to me, it can be enjoyable at times as well.

Filoni as the head of Lucasfilm, I'm still not feeling though.
Agree...I appreciate him but never saw that potential in him.

Need a rock Star to save Star Wars (and it does need saving...but maybe strategically not right now)...Feige had been that Star for marvel.

Somebody is out there for Star Wars too. If sure as heck isn’t JJ abrams...which unfortunately I was right on from the start...

Hollywood is full of comeback stories. A certain Disney ceo led one of the if not the biggest one ever...

There’s always a way. Need a story guy though...Ron Moore type. Somebody who plows the story first and then works backwards...doesn’t set benchmarks for outside goals and then try to make the puzzle pieces fit.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't write it. To be honest, it wouldn't have been my first (or second, or twenty-third) choice of words. The Fandom Menace are a bunch of whiny, entitled man-babies, but most are harmless Internet trolls.
I understand that and I know you better...

I wouldn’t quote it though - just me - it’s a bunch of whiners, whining about whiners, using dangerous terms to do it.

the.dreamfinder

They’re more like a gang of schoolyard bullies than a hate group.

Just ask Jake Lloyd, Ahmed Best and Kelly Marie Tran.

Rodan75

I thought it would take a while to get clarification, but boy was I wrong. Turns out there are some people who would really like to get this info out there, and I would say that we actually have a little Scandal on our hands. In a few minutes I'll have to go back and edit my prior post make sure nobody gets wrong info, but this clarification should bring to light what actually is going on.

So very few people had info on this series which is extremely early in development to the point they haven't hired staff. Which means whoever leaked to variety was one of the very few individuals. The info that was leaked to variety read just like a public reveal, and was leaked intentionally to gain internet exposure. Here's where the Scandal comes into play, and might reveal to you why people were angry all the way to the very top. Would you like to guess whose social media accounts were scrubbed of all disturbing statements simultaneous to the leak? If you guess the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who I'm sure knew nothing about him being a predator for all those years, then you would be exactly right. And that means that whoever leaked to variety did so in an orchestrated manner. My source, who I would love to tell their story but can't because it would reveal them, says that the feeling is that this was an attempt to force Bob iger's hand. And that's a big No-No.

And there you have it. The former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein, who represents a significant PR and potentially legal problem for Disney, who was not that it or consulted upon outside of lucasfilm ... just happened to scrub her social media of horrendous statements from years ago just as an unauthorized leak occurred to an industry trade. Oh, and did we mention that the former personal assistant to Harvey Weinstein who almost certainly knew he was an evil Predator harming women is now Ultra Pro women and running a pro woman animated series for the largest family entertainment company in the world? Can you say Public Image makeover?

I'd say there's a level of stupidity here, but that's an understatement when there's a video of this woman calling all white women a pejorative. Now if anybody figures out who orchestrated the leak, I'd love to hear it with proof or corroboration.

actually that doesn’t make any sense. She is a known Whistle blower on Weinstein. She wrote a play detailing his abuse. If they were going to block her for being a whistleblower then I agree with the leak.

Rodan75

Agree...I appreciate him but never saw that potential in him.

Need a rock Star to save Star Wars (and it does need saving...but maybe strategically not right now)...Feige had been that Star for marvel.

Somebody is out there for Star Wars too. If sure as heck isn’t JJ abrams...which unfortunately I was right on from the start...

Hollywood is full of comeback stories. A certain Disney ceo led one of the if not the biggest one ever...

There’s always a way. Need a story guy though...Ron Moore type. Somebody who plows the story first and then works backwards...doesn’t set benchmarks for outside goals and then try to make the puzzle pieces fit.

it speaks volumes that Disney didn’t try to lock down JJ’s deal. They gave up very early into the process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom