Iger: 2+ Yrs to Fix Fox; SWGE Issues

tirian

Original Poster

Iger says the WDC needs 2+ years to undo the damage caused by “Dark Phoenix,” and he indirectly acknowledges a SWGE opening failure by blaming crowd expectations and AP blackouts.

seascape

Iger says the WDC needs 2+ years to undo the damage caused by “Dark Phoenix,” and he indirectly acknowledges a SWGE opening failure by blaming crowd expectations and AP blackouts.
You are only half right. Dark Phoenix failed and Kevin will fix it in a couple of years. As for SWGE, he did not call it a failure. In fact if you read the report and look at the numbers and listen to the call you would see it's a success. The increase in merchandise is huge and the drop in attendance was due to the fact Disneyland is an Annual Passholders park. Annual Passholders make up the vast majority of visitors and most of them were blacked out. Wait until January and you will see totally insane lines and crowds. Just like there will be in Orlando. I am glad I as m going in September and November. I will also be there in January but will only go in to ride RotR if there are fast passes. Otherwise I will wait until the crowds die down. I will have already explored the land and purchased a Lightsaber or 2 and a couple of Droids.

Darkprime

I wonder if that's implying an X-Men reboot by 2022.

SteamboatJoe

You are only half right. Dark Phoenix failed and Kevin will fix it in a couple of years. As for SWGE, he did not call it a failure. In fact if you read the report and look at the numbers and listen to the call you would see it's a success. The increase in merchandise is huge and the drop in attendance was due to the fact Disneyland is an Annual Passholders park. Annual Passholders make up the vast majority of visitors and most of them were blacked out. Wait until January and you will see totally insane lines and crowds. Just like there will be in Orlando. I am glad I as m going in September and November. I will also be there in January but will only go in to ride RotR if there are fast passes. Otherwise I will wait until the crowds die down. I will have already explored the land and purchased a Lightsaber or 2 and a couple of Droids.
It sounds me like they got greedy and overplayed their hand regarding GE. I think they assumed that passholders would want to see it so bad that they would purchase a standard admission ticket instead of waiting until the blackout lifted. That didn't happen. Corporate still got what it wanted, though; crowds were down but per guest spending was up.

tirian

Original Poster

I never said he called SWGE a failure. I said he indirectly acknowledged its “opening was a failure...” which is exactly what people in the industry have called the grand opening itself.

Disney expected enormous crowds that didn’t materialize because they spent months warning people to expect crowds, and combined with AP blackouts, those crowds didn’t come. That has nothing to do with whether or not the land itself is successful, and of course it will be crowded once those blackouts are lifted. But in the meantime, the famous reservation system was utilized for about 1/2 of the opening day, and rarely afterwards. APs and Orlando tourists will make things quite different, a fact that I’ve said many times in these forums.

In fact, in my summary, I pointed out the opening underperformed because of “crowd expectations and AP blackouts.”

seascape

I never said he called SWGE a failure. I said he indirectly acknowledged its “opening was a failure...” which is exactly what people in the industry have called the grand opening itself.

Disney expected enormous crowds that didn’t materialize because they spent months warning people to expect crowds, and combined with AP blackouts, those crowds didn’t come. That has nothing to do with whether or not the land itself is successful, and of course it will be crowded once those blackouts are lifted. But in the meantime, the famous reservation system was utilized for about 1/2 of the opening day, and rarely afterwards. APs and Orlando tourists will make things quite different, a fact that I’ve said many times in these forums.

In fact, in my summary, I pointed out the opening underperformed because of “crowd expectations and AP blackouts.”
I am sorry, your right. I am just so sick and tired of the tons of posts gloating the GE is a failure when it's not. Disney did make a big mistake on the opening in Disneyland. They should have made sure WDW's was done first. WDW is a tourist location while Disneyland is a regional park.

Californian Elitist

I am sorry, your right. I am just so sick and tired of the tons of posts gloating the GE is a failure when it's not. Disney did make a big mistake on the opening in Disneyland. They should have made sure WDW's was done first. WDW is a tourist location while Disneyland is a regional park.

???

Disneyland absolutely is a tourist spot.

tirian

Original Poster

Like everything else in the entertainment industry, especially in Parks and Resorts, it’s a complicated issue. I think that’s what the article tries pointing out too.

It’s important to remember today’s Walt Disney Company is a conglomerate that makes very positive, successful moves alongside bewilderingly terrible decisions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom