If You Only Had One Evening to Shoot?

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Epcot or Magic Kingdom?

Whichever park is EMH that night?

Going in December with a large group of family with little kids so I likely won't have time to really stop and do good shots. But I might have one evening where I can get out by myself. If you had the option which would you choose?

NowInc

It all depends on what you want to shoot. Each park has an advantage and a huge disadvantage... as follows:

Epcot : You can slowly make your way around the world showcase and take pics pretty long after the park closes, but don't count on futureworld. They close that off early and unless you are there already, you have no shot. Morocco is one of my favorite night time spots to shoot in the entire resort, and I mean.... everybody needs the obligatory spaceship earth long exposure shot ;)

The park is also not open as late as MK so you can still stay after close and get some good sleep in.

MK: Park is a lot more crowded and has far more people lingering around long after close, even at a 1am EMH. You will still get some great shots, but you will need to be super patient. People will walk in your shot, and people will drive by with ECVs with bright lights on them, ruining a long exposure. Comes with the territory.

Another downside to MK is their closing "Sweep" is unpredictable. Some nights I'm able to stay 2+ hours after close, others... they ask me to leave before even an hour after. Hit or miss, really. You also risk not getting to do all the lands after close, as they section parts off as they empty out. Tomorrowland is the most challenging of the bunch to shoot, followed shortly by New fantasyland (for exact opposite reasons, oddly enough).

The most important thing to remember is to be nice and listen to any CM that approaches you with a request to re-locate. They are usually nice and let you hang out a bit longer if you are kind and social (this goes for security guards as well).

tjcouch

This is a toughie. And it really comes down to that kind of shots you are trying to get. (I am a "retired" cinematographer - I still do projects on the side for fun, but it's just an excuse to dust of my equipment and express my creative side.)

Here's the thing - Disney has done a great job of theatrically lighting all of the parks at night and there are myriad opportunities to get unique shots.

In Epcot you can stage shots in the World Showcase that will look like you are actually in the country represented. (But if you actually travel to the countries, the impact of this is diminished. For instance, while getting that "ONE" shot of the entrance to Venice is cool at Epcot, it can never compare to the real thing. But if a trip abroad is not in the cards....)

In Epcot Future World, there are architectural shots that are unique to anywhere else on the planet.

At the Magic Kingdom, each "land" has its own unique feel and color pallet. Lots of fun can be had there composing shots.

So . . . I guess you really can't go wrong. My advice would to to just pick a small section of any park and shoot that area in every way possible portfolio-style.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
I think I'll end up at Epcot. It's my favorite park, and probably has more things I'd like to take pictures of. I'll also have two evenings at MK with the family so I can probably sneak in some shots. I was just curious what y'all would pick.

JediMasterMatt

Phew... MK or EPCOT for "One Night Only". That's a tough call.

MK has that Castle that looks different from every angle (but, rarely can you find an angle that is hasn't been done before).
EPCOT has that golf ball that looks the same from most every angle.

MK has a lot more kinetic motion you can play with in terms of the rides.
EPCOT has more quiet subtle locations where you can capture mood.

You don't mention if you plan on doing fireworks or not; but, Wishes is much more of a challenge in doing well than Illuminations due to trying to expose properly for the Castle.

MSEP is another thing that could tip a photography night at the park in MK's direction

Ultimately, it comes down to compromises. If you think you'd rather come home with a bunch of MK photos to play with or EPCOT. Either way, you will have regrets of not doing both, so pick which one will make you happiest.

As NowInc said, both parks have different closing behaviors in terms of how they clear the parks out. I always initiate conversation with security and let them know to tell me when it's time to move. It usually helps as they have less tendency to get in front of your camera when they are talking with you. They've all thanked as I'm proud to say... I've never been the last person out of a Disney Park. 2nd to last... well, maybe a few times ;)

afb28

I'd have to say MK. I think it offers a lot more variety and it is typically open later.

Going by my photos on flickr and my computer, MK has way more than Epcot does so I'd think MK for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom