If you get the chance - take a First Aid training course

barnum42

Original Poster
Been meaning to post this since the weekend.

My work has paid for me to take a three day first aid training course and another 1 day refresher a couple of years on and I can't recommend highly enough that if you get the chance, do this. Or take evening classes over a number of weeks.

At the weekend I was with friends in a theatre bar on the last night of an amateur dramatics (community theatre) show, when an older lady collapsed. With just a little knowledge I was able to deal with the situation whilst a number of other people were starting to panic.

Nothing dramatic had to be done, just a few basics that they drum into in the class and she turned from disoriented, sick, cold and clammy to lucid and fully aware - fully aware that she did not want anyone to call an ambulance. But that's the other thing they drum into you as a first aider - let the pros make the full diagnosis.

She was taken into hospital and I was informed released to go home a few hours later.

So, if your boss is looking for volunteers to become first aiders - say "Yes"

maelstrom

I'm going to be taking First Aid & CPR classes soon because I switched my major to "exercise studies". But if I want to be a coach at the school (I coach cheerleading at the YMCA and want to do it at one of the local schools too) I have to know CPR. So it's overall good to know.

Safari Giraffe

barnum42 said:
Been meaning to post this since the weekend.

My work has paid for me to take a three day first aid training course and another 1 day refresher a couple of years on and I can't recommend highly enough that if you get the chance, do this. Or take evening classes over a number of weeks.

At the weekend I was with friends in a theatre bar on the last night of an amateur dramatics (community theatre) show, when an older lady collapsed. With just a little knowledge I was able to deal with the situation whilst a number of other people were starting to panic.

Nothing dramatic had to be done, just a few basics that they drum into in the class and she turned from disoriented, sick, cold and clammy to lucid and fully aware - fully aware that she did not want anyone to call an ambulance. But that's the other thing they drum into you as a first aider - let the pros make the full diagnosis.

She was taken into hospital and I was informed released to go home a few hours later.

So, if your boss is looking for volunteers to become first aiders - say "Yes"

Great job again Joe. First Aid and CPR/AED Training can not be stressed enough.

I always look to see where the AED's are located when I go to Disney. How funny is that?:lol:

Nemo14

Thanks for the reminder Joe. Thankfully I've never had to use my first-aid training (other than an occasional band-aid application), but I hope I'd be of some kind of help if the situation arose. There's nothing worse than that feeling of "What do I do?" when an emergency arises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom