If you’re in a wheelchair or ecv don’t take the path from YC/BC to DHS

Goofyernmost

Because having to take a treacherous detour close to a possibly gator-infested lake, over very difficult terrain you don't have the means to easily pass over, is "less than catastrophic" when you personally aren't the one being inconvenienced so. This reeks of ableist privilege.

It's right there in the photo you're looking at. That's not firm, compact dirt next to the sidewalk. Are you just going to ignore the first-hand account of an ECV getting stuck in it?

The entire thing is sloped and not easily traversed in a wheelchair. And yes, I can make that analysis from experience, but it really shouldn't be required.

You don't need to be there "live." This is all quite obvious even in a photo. And you're just going to assume there were signs? Because it's Disney? Really? :rolleyes: It's a moot point to you because it was never your concern to begin with. You're more concerned with being a Disney apologist than the welfare of their guests.
First off, there are no signs there that say detour and just because the poster implicated that there was no warning about it doesn't mean that there was no warning about it and worse case scenario is someone went past the warning signs and had to turn around and come back. Oh, the humanities! I will not apologize for Disney when there is nothing to apologize for. That includes things they do that you don't like and things that you think they did wrong. Spend some time figuring out why you feel the need to attack things that you don't understand and then say someone else is apologizing. Seriously!

lazyboy97o

This has yet to be defined as a Accessibility or Safety issue. We don't know the details, we don't know if warnings were issued, we know nothing. All we know is that we have seen a picture of something that was being repaired. Repairs in and of themselves do not require accessibility due to safety factors. I have seen a single picture that seems incriminating, but let's get proof first. The repair itself is probably to address something that was a safety issue. No one rips up a section of sidewalk at random just for fun. It more then likely was a safety issue previous to the repair. Much ado about nothing! Let's jump to the worse possible conclusion thing first.
We absolutely know it is an issue of accessibility and safety because there is a picture showing the entire walking surface blocked.

Goofyernmost

We absolutely know it is an issue of accessibility and safety because there is a picture showing the entire walking surface blocked.
It is a repaired surface and because of that it is considered construction or just COMMON SENSE, it is the repair of a safety issue and accessibility would be another safety issue completely. No sign or arrow exist instructing people to go around it on the side in question. You cannot drive your car down a highway that is under repair or blocked due to an accident. Should you sue for lack of accessibility? Or are somethings just naturally not accessible in certain situations. Completely a non-issue. There are other forms of and directions of accessibility to be used. Yea, I know "signs", it still hasn't been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they didn't exist rendering it an absolute nothing discussion. Can we move on!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Don't know... Did you ever have to veer off the sidewalk or have any reason to pay close attention to how much flat ground was on the side of it in that exact spot. Come on, we are taking this way to seriously. I'm not buying that people were not notified and since it appears that is very wet cement the picture might have been taken before signs could be setup. Things don't always happen at the snap of a finger. Let's move on, shall we. I'm sure by now that it is now passable and that if it isn't signage exists. How did people get through while they were digging out the old sidewalk section, setting the forms and pouring and leveling the concrete? Signage not seen, I can understand. How far from the beginning of the path was that section. I don't know, I've never been on it.

Aka. "I never went there or noticed it and it doesn't affect me, so why should anyone else care?" Your standard modus operandi. 👍

Goofyernmost

Well, it is hard to have a discussion with people that have their minds made up and refuse to be bothered by factual information. So find everything you can, legitimate or not, to get all indignant about. I'm sure that makes WDW more fun for you. "have fun storming the castle".

WDWFREAK53

Two things. First it is a one day situation. Concrete doesn't take all that long to set. Second looking at the space to the left of the picture I don't see why it would be a problem getting around the repair with either a wheelchair or an ECV. If I saw an alligator or a snake it would just mean that I would get past it much faster.
Answer this. Is this ADA compliant?
If not, your point and argument is moot.

lazyboy97o

Well, it is hard to have a discussion with people that have their minds made up and refuse to be bothered by factual information. So find everything you can, legitimate or not, to get all indignant about. I'm sure that makes WDW more fun for you. "have fun storming the castle".
“Factual” information like concrete “drying” in a day? Or that the maximum accessible cross slope is not a mere 1:48? Or that mud is firm and stable?

wdrive

You can’t be serious with your posts in this thread?
Please tell me it’s a joke in poor taste.

Goofyernmost

Answer this. Is this ADA compliant?
If not, your point and argument is moot.
Of course it is ADA compliant. It is a sidewalk that isn't absolutely necessary that is being repaired. The fact that it is being repaired alone is a compliance in and of itself. The sidewalk is closed. Everyone has jumped to the conclusion that people were not warned about it because the OP felt that there was no signage. That has not been proven one way or the other. There is no sign saying that going around is a detour. Why do you not think that they can't repair something that is broken. How would you suggest they make that compliant and have a proper repair. The whole argument is just a knee jerk reaction with no real consequence and from my viewpoint has absolutely no reason for anyone to be concerned about it.

Goofyernmost

You can’t be serious with your posts in this thread?
Please tell me it’s a joke in poor taste.
I wish I were kidding but you people have gone batcrap crazy over a non-issue. I also think that to be a joke something has to be funny and I have been dead serious since everyone took it that way. But I guess you all are correct, they just shouldn't have repaired that sidewalk.

Goofyernmost

“Factual” information like concrete “drying” in a day? Or that the maximum accessible cross slope is not a mere 1:48? Or that mud is firm and stable?
More crap. If it is closed for a month it would still not be a problem and still be compliant. The exact amount of time for it to set solidly enough for traffic (not cars) might be slightly longer but there are additives put in concrete to make it set enough for travel without it being fully cured. Plus there are other ways of getting there. Mountains out of molehills time.

Disone

Legal issue as well.
But its not because its just a very temporary situation. This is a communication failure from Disney to it's guests.

That said routine maintenance is allowed and pictured would definitely fall under routine maintenance. A guest in a wheel chair still has other options available to them. I do think Disney failed to put signs out warning guests of the blockage. It is definitely a guest service oversight not to have done so.

Like a building with a single elevator, it is not illegal to shut the elevator to perform maintenance on it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wish I were kidding but you people have gone batcrap crazy over a non-issue. I also think that to be a joke something has to be funny and I have been dead serious since everyone took it that way. But I guess you all are correct, they just shouldn't have repaired that sidewalk.

Again with the “it’s a non-issue because it doesn’t affect me and I’ve never seen it (but really I got called out for my BS and I want to deflect this onto everyone else).”

WDWFREAK53

Of course it is ADA compliant. It is a sidewalk that isn't absolutely necessary that is being repaired. The fact that it is being repaired alone is a compliance in and of itself. The sidewalk is closed. Everyone has jumped to the conclusion that people were not warned about it because the OP felt that there was no signage. That has not been proven one way or the other. There is no sign saying that going around is a detour. Why do you not think that they can't repair something that is broken. How would you suggest they make that compliant and have a proper repair. The whole argument is just a knee jerk reaction with no real consequence and from my viewpoint has absolutely no reason for anyone to be concerned about it.
You know what I meant. You said that it’s no big deal to go around it. Would that route that you say is no big deal to use ADA compliant? Of course the work is.

peter11435

I’ve seen this come up several times regarding concrete drying time. Disney frequently (everyday somewhere on property) pours concrete over night and has guests walking or driving on it that afternoon.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I’ve seen this come up several times regarding concrete drying time. Disney frequently (everyday somewhere on property) pours concrete over night and has guests walking or driving on it that afternoon.
Perhaps, but that doesn't help the guest who encounters the blocked sidewalk en route the park when a simple sign at the resort could have prevented that happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom