If you’re in a wheelchair or ecv don’t take the path from YC/BC to DHS

durangojim

Original Poster
Out for a walk this morning and there is new cement down on the path. That’s great but I’ve seen two families with a wheelchair and ecv having a very difficult time getting around due to the slope. Just an FYI
02C80C4C-8941-4C70-9808-94D5D50B4458.jpeg

Goofyernmost

Two things. First it is a one day situation. Concrete doesn't take all that long to set. Second looking at the space to the left of the picture I don't see why it would be a problem getting around the repair with either a wheelchair or an ECV. If I saw an alligator or a snake it would just mean that I would get past it much faster.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Two things. First it is a one day situation. Concrete doesn't take all that long to set. Second looking at the space to the left of the picture I don't see why it would be a problem getting around the repair with either a wheelchair or an ECV. If I saw an alligator or a snake it would just mean that I would get past it much faster.

Yes, it does, actually. Under ideal conditions, you’re looking at a week for concrete to cure to 70% strength. Could you walk on it at 48 hours? Yes. But there’s a reason concrete is cordoned off for more than 24 hours. And a slope and a wheelchair don’t mix very well (unless someone is pushing and can carefully control the chair), powered chairs and ECV’s even less so because of their weight. We have a friend with a son in a powered chair and they are very careful about any kind of slope after a few tipping incidents.

durangojim

Original Poster
Yes, it does, actually. Under ideal conditions, you’re looking at a week for concrete to cure to 70% strength. Could you walk on it at 48 hours? Yes. But there’s a reason concrete is cordoned off for more than 24 hours. And a slope and a wheelchair don’t mix very well (unless someone is pushing and can carefully control the chair), powered chairs and ECV’s even less so because of their weight. We have a friend with a son in a powered chair and they are very careful about any kind of slope after a few tipping incidents.
The other issue was that the ground is soft. One person’s ecv dug in and a couple of us had to help move it.

JT3000

You don't see why it would be a problem? So are you blind or what? Yes, they'll "just get past it faster" on a muddy slope. Do you think wheelchairs are all-terrain vehicles or something? 🤦‍♂️ This is how these things happen.

Goofyernmost

You don't see why it would be a problem? So are you blind or what? Yes, they'll "just get past it faster" on a muddy slope. Do you think wheelchairs are all-terrain vehicles or something? 🤦‍♂️ This is how these things happen.
Just a little out of context on my "just a little bit faster" comment. That was in connection to the alligator and snake presence. I little humor on a less than catastrophic subject. Where is that mud of which you speak? Can you tell that the area that a chair has to fit through is to small so it has to be partially down the steeper slope? The part right next to the sidewalk looks plenty wide to me, someone that has used a scooter and a wheel chair in the past. However, I will concede that I am not right there actually looking at the spot live and in person so it might be. I do, however, think that with the liability that Disney has for everything that happens that there were signs. Perhaps unseen, but there none the less. Plus, and this is a big one, I'll bet that it is no longer a problem so it is a moot point by now.

At any rate my point was not that I thought it was a clever move for Disney (if there is indeed no signage or warning) just that it appeared to me to be passable. You are all free to disagree with me, because unless I am there actually seeing the space I, like yourselves, am just guessing.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just a little out of context on my "just a little bit faster" comment. That was in connection to the alligator and snake presence. I little humor on a less than catastrophic subject. Where is that mud of which you speak? Can you tell that the area that a chair has to fit through is to small so it has to be partially down the steeper slope? The part right next to the sidewalk looks plenty wide to me, someone that has used a scooter and a wheel chair in the past. However, I will concede that I am not right there actually looking at the spot live and in person so it might be. I do, however, think that with the liability that Disney has for everything that happens that there were signs. Perhaps unseen, but there none the less. Plus, and this is a big one, I'll bet that it is no longer a problem so it is a moot point by now.

At any rate my point was not that I thought it was a clever move for Disney (if there is indeed no signage or warning) just that it appeared to me to be passable. You are all free to disagree with me, because unless I am there actually seeing the space I, like yourselves, am just guessing.

I've walked that path in the past, both with and without a powered chair in the party. Does that count?

Goofyernmost

I've walked that path in the past, both with and without a powered chair in the party. Does that count?
Don't know... Did you ever have to veer off the sidewalk or have any reason to pay close attention to how much flat ground was on the side of it in that exact spot. Come on, we are taking this way to seriously. I'm not buying that people were not notified and since it appears that is very wet cement the picture might have been taken before signs could be setup. Things don't always happen at the snap of a finger. Let's move on, shall we. I'm sure by now that it is now passable and that if it isn't signage exists. How did people get through while they were digging out the old sidewalk section, setting the forms and pouring and leveling the concrete? Signage not seen, I can understand. How far from the beginning of the path was that section. I don't know, I've never been on it.

JT3000

Just a little out of context on my "just a little bit faster" comment. That was in connection to the alligator and snake presence. I little humor on a less than catastrophic subject.
Because having to take a treacherous detour close to a possibly gator-infested lake, over very difficult terrain you don't have the means to easily pass over, is "less than catastrophic" when you personally aren't the one being inconvenienced so. This reeks of ableist privilege.

Where is that mud of which you speak?
It's right there in the photo you're looking at. That's not firm, compact dirt next to the sidewalk. Are you just going to ignore the first-hand account of an ECV getting stuck in it?

Can you tell that the area that a chair has to fit through is to small so it has to be partially down the steeper slope?
The entire thing is sloped and not easily traversed in a wheelchair. And yes, I can make that analysis from experience, but it really shouldn't be required.

However, I will concede that I am not right there actually looking at the spot live and in person so it might be. I do, however, think that with the liability that Disney has for everything that happens that there were signs. Perhaps unseen, but there none the less. Plus, and this is a big one, I'll bet that it is no longer a problem so it is a moot point by now.

You don't need to be there "live." This is all quite obvious even in a photo. And you're just going to assume there were signs? Because it's Disney? Really? :rolleyes: It's a moot point to you because it was never your concern to begin with. You're more concerned with being a Disney apologist than the welfare of their guests.

HarperRose

Because having to take a treacherous detour close to a possibly gator-infested lake, over very difficult terrain you don't have the means to easily pass over, is "less than catastrophic" when you personally aren't the one being inconvenienced so. This reeks of ableist privilege.

It's right there in the photo you're looking at. That's not firm, compact dirt next to the sidewalk. Are you just going to ignore the first-hand account of an ECV getting stuck in it?

The entire thing is sloped and not easily traversed in a wheelchair. And yes, I can make that analysis from experience, but it really shouldn't be required.

You don't need to be there "live." This is all quite obvious even in a photo. And you're just going to assume there were signs? Because it's Disney? Really? :rolleyes: It's a moot point to you because it was never your concern to begin with. You're more concerned with being a Disney apologist than the welfare of their guests.
To be fair, it may depend on what type of device you're looking at the photo on how steep the slope looks. On my phone, it does not look like it would be a problem, but on my desktop, I can see the slope/angle of the hill much better and understand why it would be an issue for EVC or wheelchair users.

lazyboy97o

To be fair, it may depend on what type of device you're looking at the photo on how steep the slope looks. On my phone, it does not look like it would be a problem, but on my desktop, I can see the slope/angle of the hill much better and understand why it would be an issue for EVC or wheelchair users.
No, this is a recurring theme of disregarding safety issues. Even then, maximum cross slope for accessibility is 1:48. There is also nothing about the image that suggests the earth is firm and stable.

Goofyernmost

Accessibility and safety should be taken seriously.
This has yet to be defined as a Accessibility or Safety issue. We don't know the details, we don't know if warnings were issued, we know nothing. All we know is that we have seen a picture of something that was being repaired. Repairs in and of themselves do not require accessibility due to safety factors. I have seen a single picture that seems incriminating, but let's get proof first. The repair itself is probably to address something that was a safety issue. No one rips up a section of sidewalk at random just for fun. It more then likely was a safety issue previous to the repair. Much ado about nothing! Let's jump to the worse possible conclusion thing first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom