If we don't finish our wine . . .

Chi84

Premium Member
Original Poster
. . . can we get the rest of the bottle packaged to go? We like to order a good bottle of wine with dinner, but the combination of our increasing age and the speed of Disney dining results in us not being able to finish sometimes. I know Florida law permits this, but I was wondering if WDW has different, stricter rules. Has anyone had any actual experience doing this?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I do not have personal expereince with this but my guess is that in most cases its allowed.

Although I would urge you to sit and relax and finish it as long as your body will tolerate it.
Disney has NEVER made me feel rushed to finish my meal.
Also most wine bottles contain about 4 glasses which would mean just 2 glasses each for a couple.
That's not that much really.
Or perhaps if you only want 1 glass each then just purchase the 1 glass vs a bottle. I realize this may not be all that cost effective in the long run but buying a whole bottle when all you want is 1 glass seems like a waste of money too.

Chi84

Premium Member
Original Poster
I do not have personal expereince with this but my guess is that in most cases its allowed.

Although I would urge you to sit and relax and finish it as long as your body will tolerate it.
Disney has NEVER made me feel rushed to finish my meal.
Also most wine bottles contain about 4 glasses which would mean just 2 glasses each for a couple.
That's not that much really.
Or perhaps if you only want 1 glass each then just purchase the 1 glass vs a bottle. I realize this may not be all that cost effective in the long run but buying a whole bottle when all you want is 1 glass seems like a waste of money too.
We never allow ourselves to be rushed, but sometimes we just want an entree and that can be fairly quick.
I know it's only two glasses each, but we're there for a week so the eating and drinking can add up. There are times when we would like to save a glass or so for later.
The problem with buying wine by the glass is that (with the exception of certain wine bars and signature restaurants), your options are limited to fairly inexpensive wines. We enjoy better wines, so it's not about cost for us.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
There's been a couple of times when I've not finished a second cocktail with our meal at Disney Springs. I've been asked if I'd like to take it with me on a plastic cup. I'd think there's no problem with wine either.

jaklgreen

If it is only a cup or two then they can put it in a to go cup. They will not let you take the bottle out of the restaurant. Even when you buy a full bottle at places like the gift shop in Italy, they send it up to package pickup for you to get before you leave the park. I don't know if they will do that with open bottle though. You might want to ask at the restaurant before you order a bottle. Have fun.

nickys

Premium Member
If it is only a cup or two then they can put it in a to go cup. They will not let you take the bottle out of the restaurant. Even when you buy a full bottle at places like the gift shop in Italy, they send it up to package pickup for you to get before you leave the park. I don't know if they will do that with open bottle though. You might want to ask at the restaurant before you order a bottle. Have fun.

I don’t think they’ll let you take an open bottle out of the park. It’s to do with the licence laws I believe. You can’t take an unfinished Grand Marnier / Margarita slushie out of the park either.

Chi84

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your response - I think we will have to ask at the restaurants. Under normal open container laws, the restaurant is allowed to package the remaining wine with certain restrictions (a sealed bag that contains a receipt showing that the wine was purchased along with a full meal, etc.) and you have to put the bag in the trunk of your car to transport it. We were hoping to take the remainder of the bottle back to the room for later, although the thought of swigging it as we walk through Disney Springs is somewhat tempting.
I've been looking at the wine lists on touringplans, and we can probably find pretty good wines by the glass at most of the places we're going, so it probably will work out just fine. I should point out that most of our ADRs are in resorts or Disney Springs rather than in the parks, if that makes a difference. If we do end up ordering a bottle, my husband has just offered to drink more than his share, so problem solved!

Lilofan

I don’t think they’ll let you take an open bottle out of the park. It’s to do with the licence laws I believe. You can’t take an unfinished Grand Marnier / Margarita slushie out of the park either.
With thousands of guests at the same time using one exit at the end of the night. I don't think it's realistic the staff will notice you bring it out of the park.

Ricky Spanish

image.jpeg

nickys

Premium Member
With thousands of guests at the same time using one exit at the end of the night. I don't think it's realistic the staff will notice you bring it out of the park.

A slushie, no.

But as has been pointed out, it’s doubtful a restaurant will let you take out an opened bottle.

DisneyGigi

@Nunu I had no idea they would give you a to go cup if you can’t finish a drink. The couple I posted about at Toledo after our meet left a half a bottle on the table but I don’t think they asked. 🥴

Off topic but reminds me of Pizza Hut back in the 80’s, went to eat with a family friend after Friday night Football game when I was young- maybe 13, she ordered a pitcher of beer and they put what she didn’t drink in a huge to go cup, she wasn’t driving, my older sister was, but I could not and still can’t believe they put it in a cup to take knowing we most likely got there in a car, and my sis was 18. In a park, in a plastic cup, okay probably but that always stood out in my mind. 😑

Jon81uk

I would expect there is a difference between a park restaurant and a resort restaurant? I would have thought that a resort restaurant may allow you to take the rest of the bottle with you, but a park one probably not?

Legendary

I couldn’t finish a 1 liter beer in Germany during dinner. They gave me a plastic cup and I finished it as I strolled around Epcot. Anything opened would have to be finished before leaving the premises. I believe the only exception to carrying leftovers would be Magic Kingdom since the rest of the park is dry.

Chi84

Premium Member
Original Poster
I would expect there is a difference between a park restaurant and a resort restaurant? I would have thought that a resort restaurant may allow you to take the rest of the bottle with you, but a park one probably not?
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Sorry I should have been clearer in asking the question because I wasn't asking about to-go cups. I just wanted to know if the normal open container wine packaging rules were stricter in Disney than anywhere else. Our trip starts tomorrow, so I'll just ask at the restaurant, although @John park hopper has me worried now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom