If Walt Was Alive...

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
...WDW would not be the same as I know it today. In a way, I am thankful Walt didn't oversee much of the development of the property.

EPCOT Explorer

If Walt were alive....

.... I don't think he would approve of some things going on in the WDC as a whole, he would be very pleased that TWDC is this big, and the same for WDW. I think he would be in shock looking at the development that land has seen.

protiius

if walt was still here there is no way that wdc would have gone in the direction that it did...

the initial focus of the company was on cartoons/films until he developed the theme park concept and thought it was a greater ambition, so he palmed off the animation/production responsibilities on others and focused on the theme parks...if he was able to he would have eventually palmed off the theme park concept (making it a much smaller aspect of the company) and focused his time and investment on the epcot concept...i think that if walt was still around today we would have epcot cities in paris, tokyo and shanghai...not theme parks! they would be efficient and green communities (everything that modern society wants but can't achieve)...

WDW Monorail

Original Poster
if walt was still here there is no way that wdc would have gone in the direction that it did...

the initial focus of the company was on cartoons/films until he developed the theme park concept and thought it was a greater ambition, so he palmed off the animation/production responsibilities on others and focused on the theme parks...if he was able to he would have eventually palmed off the theme park concept (making it a much smaller aspect of the company) and focused his time and investment on the epcot concept...i think that if walt was still around today we would have epcot cities in paris, tokyo and shanghai...not theme parks! they would be efficient and green communities (everything that modern society wants but can't achieve)...

The company would not have grown as much and I personally think that his idea for EPCOT would have failed.

Walt Disney1955

I think he'd be disapointed in the subliminal messages that happened in movies such as Lion King, Rescuers, Mermaid etc. He'd be mortified at what happened on the cover of the Mermaid movie. How do I know this? Well, when two animators made a clip of Mickey and Minnie consummating and showed it to Walt he feigned laughter and then fired them both. It's in his IMDB page.

I think in general he'd still be proud of the Magic Kingdom. After all that was his idea to start a replica in Orlando. I think he'd be pleased that his brother Roy carried through and made Disney World happen. And the fact that he might be the person who has brought joy - and continues to - more than anyone alive today.

I think he'd be happy about Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White, Country Bear and Carousel of Progress, Tomorrowland Speedway among others still being there. I don't think he'd care much for Stitch's ride. And I am guessing that in general he wouldn't like the CGI in his movies and might be a little upset about the "quick buck" and lack of heart they portray compared to his classics.

But the fact that 80 years later Mickey mouse is still..........well Mickey mouse, I think he'd like that. Not sure how he'd feel about Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios though.

I think he's also be proud of his nephew (Roy Jr., RIP) for kind of carrying on the Disney legacy and for looking so darn close like him! Also he might wonder how in the world he got a divorce from his wife after 52 years! :shrug:

In general I think he'd still like that his stamp of approval is on a lot of things

HMF

I think he'd be disapointed in the subliminal messages that happened in movies such as Lion King, Rescuers, Mermaid etc. He'd be mortified at what happened on the cover of the Mermaid movie.
The Lion King one is debatable and the "message" in mermaid is the priests knee sticking out from under his tunic. As for the cover it was a coincidence.

Walt Disney1955

The Lion King one is debatable and the "message" in mermaid is the priests knee sticking out from under his tunic. As for the cover it was a coincidence.

Come on now, that was NOT a knee. And if it was the animators should have at least realized that it was close enough to be something else. But I still do not think it was his knee. And no way that the cover was an accident by any means. A police sketch couldn't have been more detailed with that. I don't think it was a coincidence in the Lion King either.

But the Rescuers? How do you explain the nude woman changing?

_Scar

If Walt was here then we don't need that cheap look-alike, now do we?

And maybe we could have a theme park in 1 year instead of 3 or 4.

MarkTwain

The company would not have grown as much and I personally think that his idea for EPCOT would have failed.

I've talked to several urban planning professors at my college because I've wondered about this myself, and for the most part they agreed that EPCOT never would have worked the way Walt had wanted it to. In a nutshell, they said that the way cities and theme parks work are completely different, so Walt's experience with Disneyland was largely irrelevant to designing a city. Cities grow, change, and sometimes die, all due to the demands of its residents, while Walt was all about quality CONTROL.

Personally, I'm glad we have EPCOT Center. :) It's fun to dream sometimes about what could have been, and the WDC may not be perfect, but you've gotta admit that for most of its history Disney has done a pretty good job of living up to Walt's standards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom