If it were built today . . .

yensidtlaw1969

Original Poster
People have accused Disney in recent times of making cheap attractions. What do you think would have happened if your favorite classic or old attraction had been built today? How would it be different than what it is?

For example, if the Haunted mansion was sceduled to open this year, what would it be like? What age group would it target? How would things be different? Knowing what the 1969/71 mansions are like, which would have been better in your opinion?

Pretty much just have a ball with this. Just thought it might be interesting.

I'd try it myself, but I'm out the door!

Yensid "If they're so in love they can't wait another five minutes?" tlaw1969

RonAnnArbor

Well...interestingly, this is something the Imagineers revisit every time they open a new park...all you need to do is look at Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong, or Tokyo to see how they have changed and upgraded the animatronics in rides like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. Do a google search for Disneyland Paris Video for example, and you will find some ride-through videos of Pirates and the Mansion and you can compare for yourself the difference upgraded technology brings. Similarly, Space Mountain in DRP is a full-fledged 60 mph corkscrew coaster. The traffic flow is controlled somewhat better with alternate paths and back entrances to each of the "lands"...buildings are more intricate and have more gingerbread. Rides like Star Tours find themselves in discoveryland, rather than the Studios (although the studios were added much later in Paris). In fact, Tommorowland is gone and is replaced by Discoveryland itself. Queau lines are all better themed, and more attractions have fast pass. In reality - I am not sure if WDW was being built NOW, that they could even do it, because they would never be able to afford it at todays prices. Interesting to ponder.

artvandelay

The Haunted Mansion would be thoroughly researched. Imagineers would go to countries where haunted houses are and learn about their customs.

The queue would be very detailed. The actual ride would have one huge AA at the end that you would see for a couple of seconds.

imagineer boy

The whole ride would be themed to the cartoon "Lonesome Ghosts" with only a couple static ghost animatronic figures. The grim grinning ghosts song would instead be a pop song by Lindsay Lohan to be more trendy. Nokt to mention Lindsay Lohan would narrate the ride instead of the ghost host.

sarahwiggles99

imagineer boy said:
The grim grinning ghosts song would instead be a pop song by Lindsay Lohan to be more trendy. Nokt to mention Lindsay Lohan would narrate the ride instead of the ghost host.

Lindsey Lohan being trendy and have her own ride? WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO!:brick::confused: :dazzle:

S.E.A.

Interesting topic, once can only guess how attractions like POTC and Splash Mountain and The Jungle Cruise would be received if they were built in these days of no holds barred, senseless thrills.

steviej

I dunno, maybe I'm too much of a nostalgic disney fan, but I can't imagine potc or hm any other way but the way they are now.

imagineer boy

Oh, and I forgot one more thing. At the end of the ride, you will be emptied into the most advanced part of this unique attraction experience.... THE GIFT SHOP. With loads of Lindsay Lohan merchandise, and a couple haunted house stuff on sale there too... but mostly Lindsay Lohan.

yensidtlaw1969

Original Poster
It's a small world would be an Imax film in Epcot showing real views of places around the world. No song, no Sherman brothers, but the music would likely be nice -- Epcot alwas seems to have nice music. Wouldn't be nearly as popular, but a nice distraction.

Yensid "I've always wanted to walk on the moon . . . " tlaw1969

mnagel55

Not to rain on anyones parade but here is my 2 cents.

It would never be built today.

The corporation would never take the risks in todays climate. The insurance liability would be too high for fear someone might get hurt. The shareholders would never let it happen. The rides would all be politcally correct to the point of nausea.

sorry...:( ...feeling a little cynical tonight

Lets all be thankful Walt had the vision he did in the AGE he did

dizneycrazy09

correct me if I'm wrong, but do you think that Disney Imagineers have any other choice than to keep up with the times? I hardly think that Disney's "newer" attractions are sensless based thrill rides. Splash Mountain and the Tower of Terror are "newer" rides. Deffenitely not senseless thrill rides. if Disney did not keep up with the times, they would've gone under a LONG time ago.PotC and the Haunted Mansion were the Mission:Spaces and Tower of Terrors of their time. It all has to do with technology. Disney is always on the cutting edge, and I think it shows and will continue to show in all attractions.

mickey04

steviej said:
I dunno, maybe I'm too much of a nostalgic disney fan, but I can't imagine potc or hm any other way but the way they are now.

Uh oh, then you best get over to the Magic Kingdom before Wednesday... :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom