If I have to cancel AGAIN....

ELG13

We got a quick 2 night trip in January for a Christmas gift for the kids. Now I'm wondering if we will be able to go. From everything I've heard, disney is safer than our local grocery store which I believe because most sanitizing efforts gave greatly decreased in most stores. I know there's time but I'm wondering if we may be better off saving it as a surprise blast minute trip. I'd hate to give it and then not go. We've cancelled 2 trips so far and have a week long at the campgrounds scheduled for April which I'm fairly optimistic about. Anyone else getting a little uneasy with everything??

RememberWhen

We canceled our late December and mid-January trips (which were rescheduled from our July 2020 trip). I have a reservation for July, but I’m not sure we’ll keep that one. And we have a reservation for mid October that I’m really really hoping will be closer to normal Disney. We plan to try to go February 2022, but I feel ridiculous planning out that far. We’re DVC, so we plan ahead, but those plans have been on the books for a couple months now...
It’s really hard. We’d love to go. I’m half kicking myself that we didn’t just go in August. I think crowds were legitimately low then and the risk was much lower. Now people are just tired of dealing with this and want to have a “regular vacation.”
I don’t know how old your kids are, but I’m not sure it matters. Mine (8 and 3) would be devastated to have to cancel. They know nothing about our current future plans. If it was me I would hold onto the hope and save it as a surprise instead of as a Christmas gift.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Everyone has to make that call depending on how they personally determine the risk they are willing to take. I could just as easily and probably more so be at risk going to work, going grocery shopping or getting a take out meal. There are those on here who feel its safe to go to WDW vs those who see it as a path to certain death. So far those who have gone and have reported on how it was, say they had a safe trip, feeling their health wasnt compromised and had a great time. There have been no posts about numbers of guests who've come home from WDW and gotten ill or dropped dead. Personally, we are going in May 2021 as long as Disney stays open, we will take precautions and be careful.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Everyone has to make that call depending on how they personally determine the risk they are willing to take. I could just as easily and probably more so be at risk going to work, going grocery shopping or getting a take out meal. There are those on here who feel its safe to go to WDW vs those who see it as a path to certain death. So far those who have gone and have reported on how it was, say they had a safe trip, feeling their health wasnt compromised and had a great time. There have been no posts about numbers of guests who've come home from WDW and gotten ill or dropped dead. Personally, we are going in May 2021 as long as Disney stays open, we will take precautions and be careful.
This is my thought for April. We have been at home avoiding everything since March and even a little before because it was here and I knew about it from my clients in China. Masks are a non issue now because we wear them everywhere anyways. I guess I'm more worried about DISNEY cancelling us. I can't see the state of Florida shutting down again just knowing how DeSantis is but that's my concern for our January trip. I think by April with the vaccines and whatnot it will be on the up and up.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
We canceled our late December and mid-January trips (which were rescheduled from our July 2020 trip). I have a reservation for July, but I’m not sure we’ll keep that one. And we have a reservation for mid October that I’m really really hoping will be closer to normal Disney. We plan to try to go February 2022, but I feel ridiculous planning out that far. We’re DVC, so we plan ahead, but those plans have been on the books for a couple months now...
It’s really hard. We’d love to go. I’m half kicking myself that we didn’t just go in August. I think crowds were legitimately low then and the risk was much lower. Now people are just tired of dealing with this and want to have a “regular vacation.”
I don’t know how old your kids are, but I’m not sure it matters. Mine (8 and 3) would be devastated to have to cancel. They know nothing about our current future plans. If it was me I would hold onto the hope and save it as a surprise instead of as a Christmas gift.
Mine are 6 and 9. They yo is autistic and wouldn't know. Last time I told him about our April trip he grabbed his stuff to go right then and then had a melt down because we weren't going right then (same here buddy 😂). The 9 yo is looking forward to April so much so I think a surprise trip may be better.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Mine are 6 and 9. They yo is autistic and wouldn't know. Last time I told him about our April trip he grabbed his stuff to go right then and then had a melt down because we weren't going right then (same here buddy 😂). The 9 yo is looking forward to April so much so I think a surprise trip may be better.
I would love if someone planned me a surprise trip! Hopefully it works out and you and the kiddos can have an awesome time. I can’t imagine DeSantis is going to shut anything down. And I’m right there with your kiddo. Always be prepared to go to Disney at a moments notice!

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

I think April is a much safer bet. In January there's a strong possibility we'll be dealing with another spike due to the holidays. It remains to be seen whether the spike will be big enough that you'll be forced not to go, but from a safety perspective January doesn't seem like the best time.

They know about the April trip, but do they know all the details? Maybe take whatever you wanted to spend on January and put it towards a fun surprise for April.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

It's interesting. We just went the last of October. We flew Southwest with n95's, masks at Disney, distanced etc. It worked out fine.
But, both of us agree with the volume of increasing cases the last few weeks, had our trip been now, we would have probably cancelled.
Obviously no one knows what Jan will bring. Maybe with the new clamp downs it will settle again.
I really like the suggestion from the poster above @Shouldigo12, to consider using some of that Jan money as a special treat while you are there in April. An upgrade on your hotel choice, special dinner, or toy for the kids?

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's not Being at Disney that's of concern to most, it's what they have to go through to get there, and back that's the issue. My wife and I went for a week in September and are returning the week after Thanksgiving for 10 more days. We drive so we're not in contact with loads of strangers like those that fly. I've been working from home since March and we also only go to the grocery store, Doctors office, and a few restaurants that we're comfortable with their distancing and sanitation. We've also been out to our other place in Texas as well, but again it's rural, and not lots of strangers milling about with randoms.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
It's not Being at Disney that's of concern to most, it's what they have to go through to get there, and back that's the issue. My wife and I went for a week in September and are returning the week after Thanksgiving for 10 more days. We drive so we're not in contact with loads of strangers like those that fly. I've been working from home since March and we also only go to the grocery store, Doctors office, and a few restaurants that we're comfortable with their distancing and sanitation. We've also been out to our other place in Texas as well, but again it's rural, and not lots of strangers milling about with randoms.
That's my thought about it all ..my husband's as well. We are driving ourselves from the Florida panhandle. We agreed that we are saving the trip as a surprise in case we end up not going(either by force or choice). I know several people who have gone since reopening and I think that living in Florida the numbers are what we are used to. Where I am it's amazing the people that don't think masks and social distancing are worthwhile. I had to take the kids to Walmart with me and oh my Gosh I couldn't believe how many people didn't have masks. I guess so figure if we deal with that, then going to Disney where they are enforcing strict rules, I'll probably feel safer there than anywhere I've been in town recently.

Upvote 0

Nottamus

We drive in from NJ twice a year...book DVC

cancelled an April 2020 trip...thought “we’ll we have 2 weeks in November “

then we cancelled November trip...bah.

so, booked April 2021, because it seemed “so far away”. It just had to be safe then...

well...this week just booked another 2 week trip for November 2021 and really think we’ll have to cancel April trip. It’s just too close to what they say will be safe, and what won’t.
Sooo...long story, but we are hoping to NOT having to cancel April 2021 trip!

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
We drive in from NJ twice a year...book DVC

cancelled an April 2020 trip...thought “we’ll we have 2 weeks in November “

then we cancelled November trip...bah.

so, booked April 2021, because it seemed “so far away”. It just had to be safe then...

well...this week just booked another 2 week trip for November 2021 and really think we’ll have to cancel April trip. It’s just too close to what they say will be safe, and what won’t.
Sooo...long story, but we are hoping to NOT having to cancel April 2021 trip!
We are booked and paid for an April trip. Me my husband my mom and our kids 10,6, and 10 months are planning on going. So far we haven't felt like it's worth cancelling. Like I said before, I really feel like it's the safest place we will have been in a really long time considering all the people here that don't wear facemasks and dont socially distance.

Upvote 0

FATHER OF FIVE

We just booked an end of June beginning of July 2021 trip. Fingers crossed things are almost "normal". My biggest concern is wearing a mask in Florida during the summer heat all day.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
We just booked an end of June beginning of July 2021 trip. Fingers crossed things are almost "normal". My biggest concern is wearing a mask in Florida during the summer heat all day.
Yea that was why I went with April. It's not TOO bad yet. And I kind of wanted to get a big trip in before all the revenge travel starting hitting hard so I'm hoping April is gonna be good.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

I noticed all your trips you mainly stay at Contemporary.... quick question... what do you love most about it and do you think my 7 y/o & 4 y/o girls would love it there? (Sorry didn’t mean to “highjack“ the post- I was just curious)

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Not uneasy, more of ambivalent right now. We're debating our spring break trip to be honest. I will be vaccinated by then for sure thanks to my trial, but not my husband likely. We would want to visit some family and won't want to if we are not vaccinated. So after losing 3 trips last year I'm meh about it all. Same with the rest of the family.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I noticed all your trips you mainly stay at Contemporary.... quick question... what do you love most about it and do you think my 7 y/o & 4 y/o girls would love it there? (Sorry didn’t mean to “highjack“ the post- I was just curious)
Actually 6 have been at Contemp, 7 at POFQ and 1 at Poly. Our covid cancelled trip of 2020 was to be at POFQ. We were then planning to reschedule that trip to Poly in 2021 after saving more money, but its closed during our time so we are returning to Contemp.
To answer you, we like being on the monorail and having the convenience of being close to MK. We enjoy the bay lake view and having the Electrical water pageant at night. We stay in the garden wing which is very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are large and comfortable. Our DS enjoyed our stays there as a young child. He enjoyed the pools, the playground and we rented a sea racer, did parasailing ( back when it was available) I think no matter where you stay, you will make the trip what it will be.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Actually 6 have been at Contemp, 7 at POFQ and 1 at Poly. Our covid cancelled trip of 2020 was to be at POFQ. We were then planning to reschedule that trip to Poly in 2021 after saving more money, but its closed during our time so we are returning to Contemp.
To answer you, we like being on the monorail and having the convenience of being close to MK. We enjoy the bay lake view and having the Electrical water pageant at night. We stay in the garden wing which is very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are large and comfortable. Our DS enjoyed our stays there as a young child. He enjoyed the pools, the playground and we rented a sea racer, did parasailing ( back when it was available) I think no matter where you stay, you will make the trip what it will be.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m sorry you had to cancel your trips. I think you’re right though: we’d enjoy any hotel and make the trip what it will be!
Thanks again for the feedback! 😃

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Yea that was why I went with April. It's not TOO bad yet. And I kind of wanted to get a big trip in before all the revenge travel starting hitting hard so I'm hoping April is gonna be good.
When are you going in April? We're going in April as well and was curious when you were going? You've been asking all my planning questions so I thought I'd see when you actually were going to be there (my mom and I are there April 10-16).

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
When are you going in April? We're going in April as well and was curious when you were going? You've been asking all my planning questions so I thought I'd see when you actually were going to be there (my mom and I are there April 10-16).
We will be there April 25-may 2 . We moved our dates a few days recently because there is a group getting together at the campgrounds for a Hallowspring party 🥳

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom