If gas were $10/gallon would you still go to WDW?

sublimesting

Original Poster
OK, if gas were $10/gallon would you still go to Disney? What price increase would stop you? What would you cut out to still go?

I would still go and I'm not sure what would stop me as I'd pretty much eat wonder bread and water all year if that was my only option.

nolatron

Wouldn't stop me. Even at $10 a gallon, the 55 gallons of gas I'll need to get to Orlando and back will still cost less than the $900 airfare & $200 rental car.

(Our original plan was to fly, but now we're driving. 15 hour drive with 1 overnight stop at family, and 1 hotel stay overnight. We'll save about $1,000.)

EPCOT Explorer

facepalm.jpg

We have a thread on this, do we not?

wild01ride

I can't say when I would be able to go if it was a matter of scraping enough money together, but I would go nonetheless!

...I would go if it was the last thing I did!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If gas cost $10 a gallon would you be able to afford to have 2 threads about gas costing $10 a gallon and its effects on WDW?

sueuk

Hey - petrol (diesel) is £1.04p a litre; £4.75 a gallon. At present (£1 = $1.58) that is approx $7.50 - so we're getting there quickly!!! And still we come to WDW :ROFLOL:

trr1

OK, if gas were $10/gallon would you still go to Disney? What price increase would stop you? What would you cut out to still go?

I would still go and I'm not sure what would stop me as I'd pretty much eat wonder bread and water all year if that was my only option.

hell yes even if i had to bike or walk :)

sublimesting

Original Poster
If gas cost $10 a gallon would you be able to afford to have 2 threads about gas costing $10 a gallon and its effects on WDW?

This is a different thread about whether YOU would go. The first thread was about whether Disney could survive 10/gallon. It made me think of this.

ewensell3

It really depends on how we reach the $10/gal mark. If we're talking "wake up tomorrow and gas goes from $2.50 to $10" and it stays at that level for an extended period (more than a month), then yeah, I'd either be dropping any long distance trips or trying to find alternative methods of transportation (take the 35MPG daily commuter instead of the 20MPG minivan).

Now, if it's a slow increase to $10 over the course of several months, it's possible to adjust. Most people somehow managed $5/gal not too long ago. My solution was to carpool with a coworker to work*. If it went higher I'd have expected to pull a couple more coworkers into it. Likewise, with enough planning you could either save up the extra money, or maybe carpool with family and/or friends.

Keep in mind there was a time when people said that if gas went over $3 that the entire economy would collapse. Been there, done that, still driving a gasoline powered vehicle.

Also, keep in mind, $10/gal is still considered cheap compared to some parts of Europe.

* - Oh, and my co-worker has a FlexFuel car. E85 stayed steady when gasoline shot to $5/gal. For the first time it actually costed less to run on E85, so we were able to mostly avoid the shock.

majorrfb

$10 a gallon

If gas were $10/gallon I would have to think long and hard regarding visiting the world. We normally fly to Orlando from Albany NY or Bradley Airport. That would mean airfare would sky rocket!!!! Flying saves us from driving about 2300 miles round trip. However, it might be much cheaper in the long run to drive (including a 2 night stay, fuel and food for the round trip drive). In addition, we normally stay 7 nights in Kissimmee, but we would probably cut out 1 night, try to take advantage of discounts and free food from Disney and go off season. SO, yes we would STILL go to Disney BUT taking advantage of any and all discounts available. :hammer::sohappy:

Dwarful

Well, I guess I go against the grain. I am taking a leap here, but if gas were up to $10 a gallon then all other costs like food, clothing, etc., would rise as well. We have been to WDW numerous times so I guess I'd be socking extra money away for retirement/ kids college/weddings/ etc.,

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom