If Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were located in the same resort...

joshjoned

Original Poster
Attendance wise, these are apparently the two most popular theme parks in the world. MK has been leading DL for years, but I suspect the reason for that is solely due to it being part of the much larger WDW resort. Does anyone agree? If both were part of the same resort, which one is likely to get more visitors?

justintheharris

Attendance wise, these are apparently the two most popular theme parks in the world. MK has been leading DL for years, but I suspect the reason for that is solely due to it being part of the much larger WDW resort. Does anyone agree? If both were part of the same resort, which one is likely to get more visitors?
I can't seriously fathom the idea of them being placed in the same resort as they're supposed to be more or less the exact same thing. Yea yea I know Walt didn't want them to be identical which is why we don't have Matterhorn but I mean they're supposed to be a park with a castle centerpiece and the same lands and many of the same attractions. I think the better way to pose this question is: "Would Disneyland park have more attendance than Magic Kingdom if it was in a resort with an EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom?" And my personal answer would be Yes. Disneyland is much better maintained and has more attractions on top of better editions of almost all the Walt Disney World attractions in the Magic Kingdom. The only reason it doesn't have more attendance than Magic Kingdom is because Disneyland is still a California residents' park whereas Magic Kingdom in Orlando is an international tourist destination. You can tell with Galaxy's Edge and price hikes that Disney wants to turn the Anaheim resort into an international tourist destination as well because I think they're beginning to realize how much money they could milk out of that one with international tourists rather than California locals. So perhaps soon Disneyland Park will be the most attended park in the world soon?

joshjoned

Original Poster
I can't seriously fathom the idea of them being placed in the same resort as they're supposed to be more or less the exact same thing. Yea yea I know Walt didn't want them to be identical which is why we don't have Matterhorn but I mean they're supposed to be a park with a castle centerpiece and the same lands and many of the same attractions. I think the better way to pose this question is: "Would Disneyland park have more attendance than Magic Kingdom if it was in a resort with an EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom?" And my personal answer would be Yes. Disneyland is much better maintained and has more attractions on top of better editions of almost all the Walt Disney World attractions in the Magic Kingdom. The only reason it doesn't have more attendance than Magic Kingdom is because Disneyland is still a California residents' park whereas Magic Kingdom in Orlando is an international tourist destination. You can tell with Galaxy's Edge and price hikes that Disney wants to turn the Anaheim resort into an international tourist destination as well because I think they're beginning to realize how much money they could milk out of that one with international tourists rather than California locals. So perhaps soon Disneyland Park will be the most attended park in the world soon?

that is a better way to pose the question.

Damon7777

but I suspect the reason for that(the most visited park) is solely due to it being part of the much larger WDW resort.

There are some things in life that even though we can't prove them to be true they most definitely are true nonetheless.

No need to suspect; just treat it as a fact.

Trackmaster

Well, I think that DL's superiority (from what I understand, I haven't been there) might come from the fact that Disney has to flesh out what they have in California's parks but put them in four. So you get some relatively useless stuff. In California, they can take the best of the best and put them there. Magic Kingdom is a park that really tries to cater to the kiddies. Not complaining, but with four parks Disney is just able to really specialize each park.

Goofyernmost

The reason, in my mind, that MK has a bigger attendance then DL is simple. WDW is a bigger resort and has much more to offer therefore it has more people coming to it. So, yes, in that respect DL would have a bigger draw in WDW then it currently does. "The blessing of size". If it were in WDW the same size that it is now, it would have to limit attendance due to being smaller in space and evacuation requirements would create a limit to the number of people in there all at once.

I went to DL once and it wasn't even "in season"... end of September. And I found it stifling due to the size of it. Yes, they had more attractions, but, getting from one to the other just seemed like a huge chore. I found the "locals" were snobbish and cultish, that wouldn't happen in WDW because of it's diversity due to size and location.

To answer the question... DL at WDW would, simply, by the numbers have higher attendance, but, unless it was given the same space as MK, it wouldn't ever get to have the same exact attendance.

joshjoned

Original Poster
The reason, in my mind, that MK has a bigger attendance then DL is simple. WDW is a bigger resort and has much more to offer therefore it has more people coming to it. So, yes, in that respect DL would have a bigger draw in WDW then it currently does. "The blessing of size". If it were in WDW the same size that it is now, it would have to limit attendance due to being smaller in space and evacuation requirements would create a limit to the number of people in there all at once.

I went to DL once and it wasn't even "in season"... end of September. And I found it stifling due to the size of it. Yes, they had more attractions, but, getting from one to the other just seemed like a huge chore. I found the "locals" were snobbish and cultish, that wouldn't happen in WDW because of it's diversity due to size and location.

To answer the question... DL at WDW would, simply, by the numbers have higher attendance, but, unless it was given the same space as MK, it wouldn't ever get to have the same exact attendance.

I dunno, DL isn't that far behind MK in attendance now, despite being part of a much smaller "resort". I suspect if given the choice to go to MK, or the original Disneyland, most people would prefer Disneyland. Just, IMO.

Goofyernmost

I dunno, DL isn't that far behind MK in attendance now, despite being part of a much smaller "resort". I suspect if given the choice to go to MK, or the original Disneyland, most people would prefer Disneyland. Just, IMO.
I think DL was a nice place. I was there during their Fiftieth Anniversary. It was OK if not hard to take a step without running into someone though. I agree that any given day there is about the same amount of people when comparing MK to DL Parks, but, it is erroneous to not include the fact that WDW also has three other parks, 20 plus resort hotels, golf courses and to many other things to list... all being used by people.

Joesixtoe

MK shares the rides with 3 other parks. DL shares the rides with 1 other park. If MK were in California then MK would have all the big rides that DL does. It's very simple to understand this. This is why DL is getting Galaxy's Edge because there are only 2 parks to choose from. Galaxy's Edge here, well there are 4 parks, so let's pick the best site for it.

joshjoned

Original Poster
MK shares the rides with 3 other parks. DL shares the rides with 1 other park. If MK were in California then MK would have all the big rides that DL does. It's very simple to understand this. This is why DL is getting Galaxy's Edge because there are only 2 parks to choose from. Galaxy's Edge here, well there are 4 parks, so let's pick the best site for it.

yeah, but DL always has the advantage of being the original. Like it or not, MK always sort of lives in DL's shadow for that reason alone.

The Empress Lilly

yeah, but DL always has the advantage of being the original. Like it or not, MK always sort of lives in DL's shadow for that reason alone.
Nah, DL was a fun prototype, fun first try. Then Walt got bored of it and dreamed bigger. While Roy corrected all the faults of their first try in the real castle park he built as his brother's monument.

Animaniac93-98

"if Magic Kingdom and Disneyland were located in the same resort..." sounds like Tokyo Disneyland.

1547918524883.png

1547918566083.png

1547918703853.png

1547918775361.png

;)

Animaniac93-98

Attendance wise, these are apparently the two most popular theme parks in the world. MK has been leading DL for years, but I suspect the reason for that is solely due to it being part of the much larger WDW resort.

The gap in attendance can be explained in 3 words: after hour parties. MK has FAR more of them, and they help to pad the numbers.

joshjoned

Original Poster
Nah, DL was a fun prototype, fun first try. Then Walt got bored of it and dreamed bigger. While Roy corrected all the faults of their first try in the real castle park he built as his brother's monument.

that "prototype" is literally the second busiest theme park in the entire world...:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom