If Disney Had Kept The Great Movie Ride...

QuasiNoFroyo

Original Poster
If Disney decided to keep The Great Movie Ride as part of DHS's attraction lineup instead of completely bulldozing it in favor of Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (which I'm sure will be a lot of fun either way), which movies would you have loved to see added to the attraction (preferably those that were released after the 80s since the attraction itself opened in 1989)?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I would have liked to see it just as it was prior to TCM.
Don't get me wrong I love TCM but I preferred the CM's talking throughout the ride instead of an audio recording that was difficult to hear.
Its like Backlot Tour. Once they went with recorded audio it was no longer as entertaining and then it closed.
I always loved the movie montage at the end of GMR and that did add in more current movies here and there.

mf1972

if it were to represent genres of 80’s films, i’d have ghostbusters for comedy, star wars for sci fi (since SW is everywhere), a different indiana jones scene for action. poltergeist for horror. drawing blanks for musical. maybe little mermaid?

PrinceCharming617

Found it dudes. Looks like he went with just Disney owned films for his version.

TomboyJanet

They'd probably put Marvel (if they could work out deals with Universal) and Star Wars. It'd probably make sense to put Titanic in in a similar way to Casablanca. Both are a similar theme about lost love and going on. Lord Of The Rings has no theme park representation strangely enough, so maybe but I wouldn't replace the Alien scene like they were talking about doing with it. Maybe have some Star Trek Wrath of Kahn oh wait that's too old....errr.... Avatar? What could they even do with that other than repeat Navi River...

Its hard because there aren't a lot of big blockbuster movies that can be placed into a ride nowadays, I mean lots of them are specific to rival parks like Six Flags or Universal, and many are about complex themes that don't compute well into a ride.

If you look at these many have already had rides or are just Disney Movies, some have had rides in other theme parks. Maybe some James Bond or Hunger Games, but how would you incorporate those?

The Great Movie Ride worked well as a celebration of classic old movies from the heydays of Hollywood in the 20th century. Perhaps it should have been upgraded but still kept that theme. You got the westerns, the pre codes, the scifi, the fantasy, cartoons, romance, and Adventure and horror are kinda combined. I'd say just update the animatronics maybe add new lines, switch it up a bit and possibly add Lord Of The Rings somewhere maybe over the Tarzan because Disney already has a Tarzan character and it may be confusing. Imagine like a Mines of Mordor scene with a big Gandolf going YOU SHALL NOT PASS! or something

celluloid

I would have given the entire Chinese Theater a Night at the Musuem tie in. So there is a reason for the magic of "this is no ordinary tour" and continue to blend the Animatronic. live actor and more fluid animatronic motion factor of interacting with your tour. The ride essentially works as a tour through the movies and works better than ever as layers of Meta.

I wrote a treatment for this years ago when TCM first took over. It is an IP that would actually have made sense while keeping the concept IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom