Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Casper Gutman

It’s still our favorite resort, they have definitely toned down the theming over the years though, better or worse is subjective, Sassagoula still has float pieces on the shelf’s, artwork on the walls, they added bead lights, it’s not over the top like it used to be but still feels like POFQ and we like it… even the rooms lack of personality has pros, they don‘t scream FQ anymore but they feel infinitely cleaner than they used to. Pros and cons to everything.

I do wish they’d bring back the purple bed runner, it added a nice pop of color to all that boring white bedding.

View attachment 676987View attachment 676988
They really regret being saddled with a bunch of theme parks and themed hotels, huh.

It absolutely eludes me why anyone would pay what Disney demands for the accommodations Disney now offers.

RobWDW1971

They really regret being saddled with a bunch of theme parks and themed hotels, huh.

It absolutely eludes me why anyone would pay what Disney demands for the accommodations Disney now offers.
Agreed.

What they don't seem to realize is once they leave the "themed hotel" space and try to compete against normal hotel standards for design, service, amenities, and execution they lose badly. Very badly.

If I want to stay in a generic room like that, I'll just book a room off property for much less and get significantly better service.

Vegas Disney Fan

Updated theming is still theming.

If I walked into that purple and gold room today I’d feel like I was in a $29 a night Motel 6 that hasn’t been touched since the 80s.

You prefer over the top theming, noted. We prefer more subtle theming, neither is wrong.

Seven dwarfs mine train theming is very subtle compared to Pete’s silly sideshow (or whatever it’s called) but that doesn’t prevent it from being better.

James Alucobond

Agreed.

What they don't seem to realize is once they leave the "themed hotel" space and try to compete against normal hotel standards for design, service, amenities, and execution they lose badly. Very badly.

If I want to stay in a generic room like that, I'll just book a room off property for much less and get significantly better service.
Generally, I don’t think the level of theming in the rooms themselves is a problem. In most cases, they are more themed today than when the resorts first opened. However, they do need to be careful about overdoing IP integration, and they need to stop diluting the theming of the grounds with DVC construction (*cough*Poly Tower*cough*).

As far as Sassagoula goes, I think the new version is worse, but the theme was always a bad idea. “Storage warehouse” isn’t a compelling dining venue, no matter how convincingly achieved. They should have just picked a different theme if they wanted to redo it.

Casper Gutman

Updated theming is still theming.

If I walked into that purple and gold room today I’d feel like I was in a $29 a night Motel 6 that hasn’t been touched since the 80s.

You prefer over the top theming, noted. We prefer more subtle theming, neither is wrong.

Seven dwarfs mine train theming is very subtle compared to Pete’s silly sideshow (or whatever it’s called) but that doesn’t prevent it from being better.
The Mine Train theming is absolutely not more subtle then the sideshow. Both are very completely themed - if anything, the train is more thorough.

The new Sassagoula and other locations throughout the resorts are not themed, they are lightly thematically decorated. That’s not an insignificant distinction. Many chain hotel locations have light thematic decorations - in an outdoorsy area, for instance, a chain hotel might feature a bit of exposed rusticated wood and some skis mounted on the wall.

Disney is eliminating actual theming in the resorts.

Animaniac93-98

Disney is eliminating actual theming in the resorts.

Which defeats the purpose of staying in one and ignores how the most coveted (and expensive) Disney properties are the ones that are both lavish in design and close in proximity to the parks (Grand Californian, DLP's Disneyland Hotel, MiraCosta etc).

If a resort such as Port Orleans looks more like a regular hotel where you still have to take a bus to get most places, you might as well stay on Hotel Plaza Blvd or off site.

Casper Gutman

And there are still items in the space that are tied to the storytelling of the space
Would you argue that, upon walking into the area, guests understand the space is intended to be a Mardi Gras float warehouse?

I’m honestly baffled people are defending THIS particular change. Connections I really do understand- that’s a matter of taste. But if this is what you want, why on Earth bother to stay in a Disney hotel?

RobWDW1971

Would you argue that, upon walking into the area, guests understand the space is intended to be a Mardi Gras float warehouse?

I’m honestly baffled people are defending THIS particular change. Connections I really do understand- that’s a matter of taste. But if this is what you want, why on Earth bother to stay in a Disney hotel?
This is just another example of Disney just giving up and realizing their guests don't really care either.

Disney believes the concept of a dining hall in a Mardi Gras float warehouse is outdated?

Fine, come up with a new concept, change the name, and design a themed experience from scratch.

Nope. Just take down the set pieces and theming that defined the concept, leave the name, and move on.

I can only answer your second question by assuming people just need to reinforce their purchase decisions so that they will defend Disney at all costs regardless how obviously poor their creative choices.

It's a fascinating dynamic to witness.

Vegas Disney Fan

Nope. Just take down the set pieces and theming that defined the concept, leave the name, and move on.

They turned the central drinks area into a float, still have float pieces scattered all over the shelves, have beads and masks on the walls and ceiling… it’s not as over the top as it was before with all the giant props but it’s not like it’s devoid of any theming.

Maybe it’s just something that doesn’t translate well to photos because in person it still feels like a floats warehouse.

A1565DC5-D7CD-4BC5-9421-E981F70F6EC5.jpeg
28C95D4C-1CE2-4BCD-9F72-599EF4F10177.jpeg
105E6B3C-10B8-4D07-986E-554A7D4E2EB1.jpeg

RobWDW1971

They turned the central drinks area into a float, still have float pieces scattered all over the shelves, have beads and masks on the walls and ceiling… it’s not as over the top as it was before with all the giant props but it’s not like it’s devoid of any theming.

Maybe it’s just something that doesn’t translate well to photos because in person it still feels like a floats warehouse.

View attachment 677019View attachment 677022View attachment 677021
Hey, if you think that is world-class immersive theming, God bless.

vikescaper

I wonder what the Resort Area signage (the ones that list the hotels in the various areas) will look like.

I have been thinking about the old purple signage and to me, at this point, they remind me of the old Contemporary rooms from the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Cmdr_Crimson

Dull, uninspiring, sterile and poorly themed to fit in with what the resort is supposed to represent. what a let down compared to what it once was and what other resort food courts have. POFQ has always been one of our favorite places to stay but its food court has always been a let down. Dressing it down only makes that feature of the resort less favorable.
That's what happened to Backlot express..Many of the props were removed including The weasels Toon Patrol car, and the skeletal cart that was Benny the cab..

JIMINYCR

That's what happened to Backlot express..Many of the props were removed including The weasels Toon Patrol car, and the skeletal cart that was Benny the cab..
Those and other fun things that you could search out made it beneficial to drop in for lunch. Theyve removed so much that makes Dis unique and fun. Change is good but when you change bring in something to enhance the area youve taken from.

Disstevefan1

Ah, the thread is back on track. Now that it’s been exhaustively explained to me that it was not just a Bob Chapek cost cutting measure to go to the new blue and actually could have have cost more for the new blue, I will say I did prefer the old color scheme both because I think is was better and the leftover money could have been spent to make other improvements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom