Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Disone

They seem pretty ’90s to me, as someone who spent his later childhood and teens in that decade.

c6a0656389d29af78d0d0e6b74867854.jpg

JS71695143.jpg

2e6c963714af6dea87e9fba1a0772333_1c320dfd-e27b-4068-9927-9cf79994f1d1_480x.progressive.jpg

m_5ec55170bcbb52c9374bfa1a.jpg
Eh. I suppose if I wanted to put in some effort I could find some show advertisements from today with similar color themes. I don't feel like putting in that effort so I'll let you win this argument. I'm out. They definitely are 100% absolutely reminiscent of the 1990s. Every time I drive on property. I think I'm driving through 1996.🤪

LittleBuford

Eh. I suppose if I wanted to put in some effort I could find some show advertisements from today with similar color themes. I don't feel like putting in that effort so I'll let you win this argument. I'm out. They definitely are 100% absolutely reminiscent of the 1990s. Every time I drive on property. I think I'm driving through 1996.🤪
I’m not interested in convincing you. I was merely responding to your strongly worded claim that the signs “are definitely not reminiscent of the 1990s.” To some of us, they are, and I offered some examples of the kinds of things our minds go to when we see such colour schemes. I’m not sure why you would respond to that with mocking sarcasm.

Casper Gutman

It’s a fine line between too bland and too much, I think Sassagoula floatworks is a good example of how toning it down can be an improvement.

View attachment 676857View attachment 676858

I find the rooms slightly boring now though.
Wow, I didn’t even know about this change to what used to be one of my favorite resorts! It’s incredibly awful! What was once a colorful, unique, themed space is now barren and generic. Incredible. I mean, my expectations are obviously low but I’m genuinely shocked.

If that second image of a largely unthemed warehouse is what you want, WHY ARE YOU GOING TO DISNEY WORLD? And hey, if the currently fashionable aesthetic is plain, understated, and barren, maybe it’s not the best choice for the worlds foremost themed resort? Maybe the world leader in entertainment design and decoration needs to lead somewhere else?

Just… wow.

Casper Gutman

I’m not interested in convincing you. I was merely responding to your strongly worded claim that the signs “are definitely not reminiscent of the 1990s.” To some of us, they are, and I offered some examples of the kinds of things our minds go to when we see such colour schemes. I’m not sure why you would respond to that with mocking sarcasm.
I agree that the old Disney signs clearly betray their 90s roots to someone versed in cultural history, less because of the specific colors and more due to their boldness and the way they clash. I strongly suspect that the number of guests who look at those signs and think of the color scheme as somehow archaic is vanishingly small. However, what is “current” is not appropriate for every project, and even “outdated” looks have their place. I think it’s pretty clear that what Disney understands as contemporary design is woefully unsuitable for a themed vacation resort. If bright, bold, clashing colors evokes the 90s, hurray for the 90s.

James Alucobond

I think it’s pretty clear that what Disney understands as contemporary design is woefully unsuitable for a themed vacation resort. If bright, bold, clashing colors evokes the 90s, hurray for the 90s.
I don't think this is universally true. It's true for a lot of things, because many parts of the resort are supposed to be evocative of a particular time period or style, but there's nothing inappropriate about current trends surfacing in, say, former Future World and transportation hubs or branding, advertisement, signage, and wayfinding around the property.

If they stuck with the 90s forever just because it's more "fun", we'd still have the thing on the left ...
1667700252115.png

Casper Gutman

I don't think this is universally true. It's true for a lot of things, because many parts of the resort are supposed to be evocative of a particular time period or style, but there's nothing inappropriate about current trends surfacing in, say, former Future World and transportation hubs or branding, advertisement, signage, and wayfinding around the property.

If they stuck with the 90s forever just because it's more "fun", we'd still have the thing on the left ...
View attachment 676926
I find the redesigned spaces in Future World staggeringly dull and banal. Does the Connections Cafe look modern? Yes. Does it look interesting, inviting or innovative? No. Does it look like a hospital cafe? Yes.

Maybe some talented designers could make spaces that are both contemporary and engaging, but Disney isn’t.

Sir_Cliff

I find the redesigned spaces in Future World staggeringly dull and banal. Does the Connections Cafe look modern? Yes. Does it look interesting, inviting or innovative? No. Does it look like a hospital cafe? Yes.

Maybe some talented designers could make spaces that are both contemporary and engaging, but Disney isn’t.
I very strongly disagree that the "busy" and colourful 1990s aesthetic is what reads as fun and exciting in 2022. It's subjective, but I think they did a great job with Connections Cafe. It's a space that is open, full of light, and that is tastefully decorated with a motif that makes space for the space. I very much suspect those who don't like it also would have found the original EPCOT Center not fun enough.

James Alucobond

I have no doubt that I can dredge up a photo of some incredibly nice hospital that has such a cafeteria, but on the whole, that's a ridiculous exaggeration. In the end, it's probably no more engaging than what came before it, but it's also no less engaging while also looking far cleaner and fresher. I'll take whatever slights you want to level against it over the dreary 90s theater lobby it was.

But since this is a topic about road signage, I'll reiterate that I do wish they'd done something that felt a bit more custom (particularly with the font), but I really have no problem with the general premise of moving toward a more modern palette. I just don't agree with the oft surfaced argument that garishness is the visual equivalent of fun.

Casper Gutman

I very strongly disagree that the "busy" and colourful 1990s aesthetic is what reads as fun and exciting in 2022. It's subjective, but I think they did a great job with Connections Cafe. It's a space that is open, full of light, and that is tastefully decorated with a motif that makes space for the space. I very much suspect those who don't like it also would have found the original EPCOT Center not fun enough.
I’m glad you like it, but you absolutely could not be more wrong in your second half. As I’ve probably made clear, I revere the original EPCOT and strongly dislike Connections and the related aesthetic. I will grant you this - original EPCOT had some uninteresting spaces, such as the area after exiting the WoM ride. But even if the design of that area wasn’t gripping, it offered multiple shows to hold ones attention. And EPCOT offered enough to do in those days that I mostly charged through those areas to get to my next ride. When a theme park area has very few strong rides and not enough capacity to handle crowds, you do a lot of sitting and wandering, and suddenly interesting aesthetics and pleasing design becomes much more significant.

Animaniac93-98

Wow, I didn’t even know about this change to what used to be one of my favorite resorts! It’s incredibly awful! What was once a colorful, unique, themed space is now barren and generic. Incredible. I mean, my expectations are obviously low but I’m genuinely shocked.

The original Port Orleans food court was supposed to be a storage space for Mardi Gras floats, tying itself with the rest of the resort's New Orleans theme and referencing other areas like the Sea Serpent water slide at the pool.

Now it's just an empty warehouse that looks like Home Depot. Not only is it barren, it now has nothing to do with New Orleans at all. In this case, less is certainly not more. There was the potential to totally redesign the space, but unfortunately that's not what they did.

Sir_Cliff

I’m glad you like it, but you absolutely could not be more wrong in your second half. As I’ve probably made clear, I revere the original EPCOT and strongly dislike Connections and the related aesthetic. I will grant you this - original EPCOT had some uninteresting spaces, such as the area after exiting the WoM ride. But even if the design of that area wasn’t gripping, it offered multiple shows to hold ones attention. And EPCOT offered enough to do in those days that I mostly charged through those areas to get to my next ride. When a theme park area has very few strong rides and not enough capacity to handle crowds, you do a lot of sitting and wandering, and suddenly interesting aesthetics and pleasing design becomes much more significant.
What I mean by the second part, though, is that at the time many people found the aesthetic too clinical and corporate and not what they associated with Disney theme parks. One thing (perhaps the only thing) I think they've done right with the Epcot relaunch is the entry area and the side of Communicore they didn't demolish. I do, though, agree that the actual offerings at the time were far superior that what is there at the moment.

Disone

I was just throwing in the towel on the argument and having a little fun with it. I was being a bit tongue in cheek and hence the 🤪 at end. No offense towards you was intended.

JIMINYCR

The original Port Orleans food court was supposed to be a storage space for Mardi Gras floats, tying itself with the rest of the resort's New Orleans theme and referencing other areas like the Sea Serpent water slide at the pool.

Now it's just an empty warehouse that looks like Home Depot. Not only is it barren, it now has nothing to do with New Orleans at all. In this case, less is certainly not more. There was the potential to totally redesign the space, but unfortunately that's not what they did.
Dull, uninspiring, sterile and poorly themed to fit in with what the resort is supposed to represent. what a let down compared to what it once was and what other resort food courts have. POFQ has always been one of our favorite places to stay but its food court has always been a let down. Dressing it down only makes that feature of the resort less favorable.

JoeCamel

Dull, uninspiring, sterile and poorly themed to fit in with what the resort is supposed to represent. what a let down compared to what it once was and what other resort food courts have. POFQ has always been one of our favorite places to stay but its food court has always been a let down. Dressing it down only makes that feature of the resort less favorable.
Maybe they want you to go to the springs?

Disone

Maybe they want you to go to the springs?
lol maybe;). But they neutered the world of Disney in the same manner. WOD is now bland and boring. The " Merchandise is the star" approach to retail betrays what it means to be Disney.

From the hotel standpoint, for what they pay at PO guests could take that same amount of money and stay off site at a much more amenity rich resort with larger rooms and nicer bathrooms and it too would have equally zero to little theme.

But it turns out the Disney guest is so loyal that it does not matter. They could replace all the audioanimatronics with plywood cutouts and someone would defend it. Passionately.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s still our favorite resort, they have definitely toned down the theming over the years though, better or worse is subjective, Sassagoula still has float pieces on the shelf’s, artwork on the walls, they added bead lights, it’s not over the top like it used to be but still feels like POFQ and we like it… even the rooms lack of personality has pros, they don‘t scream FQ anymore but they feel infinitely cleaner than they used to. Pros and cons to everything.

I do wish they’d bring back the purple bed runner, it added a nice pop of color to all that boring white bedding.

9D965C09-C91B-4233-BFC5-4985936057E9.jpeg
95F1168A-706B-4883-9EC2-5D81C3C2E28E.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom