Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Brad Bishop

Here are pics. :)

I prefer the old scheme, more cheerful.

They look like large, "Rest Area with Facilates, 1mi Ahead," signs.

My guess: The old signs reached their lifespan (funny how that didn't happen to the Monorail trains) and they had to do something so they choose the cheapest route and "claim" it matches the new 50th Celebration That Falls Flat colors.

Nottamus

Since 89/90. The idea originally came from Michael Eisner who felt Disney property should have its own unique identity, as they rapidly expanded the offerings on property. Here's an article of how they came to be from there:

https://www.rd.com/article/disney-purple-traffic-signs/

The prior signs were brown and white, which is common in tourist areas.

View attachment 616988
S
Thank you!! That was some great information.

The purple signs will always be “Disney” to me because we drive in and seeing those signs made me feel “on property”

we also loved AKL rooms before they painted the walls white which diminished the character of the room some.
I am sure that was done to have less different colors of paint across resorts to save major fees.

character always takes a hit.

Brad Bishop

I thought I read a while back about the initial colors; how it was a big deal and how they did research on what colors to use for various reasons?
Anyway, I have no preference, my only want would be they are clear and readable, day, dusk and night and don't fade over time.

The old scheme also had Mickey "appearing" as you went along. I think they removed those over time, however.

They could have done something cool, like the did 30 years back (or like they did recently to SSE!), but they didn't. Just another missed opportunity.

correcaminos

Totally disagree. Something doesn’t become iconic only if it predates you. Things can and do become iconic over time, even if they didn’t exist since the beginning of time.
Never said that it couldn't. Just that it is harder to view a newer thing as iconic if it isn't what you grew up with. To me purple was a trend. The brown were bland but what my mind thought of. Some view the hand as iconic from the SE. Many who grew up without it didn't. Didn’t mean some did, but a phase is harder to view as iconic. Plus to me red black and yellow are iconic for Mickey and Disney. Purple was 90s and trendy. So for me purple signs were never iconic and I'm sure some who have been going 40-50 years regularly agree. Obviously not all will. That's all. My opinion :)

JusticeDisney

Never said that it couldn't. Just that it is harder to view a newer thing as iconic if it isn't what you grew up with. To me purple was a trend. The brown were bland but what my mind thought of. Some view the hand as iconic from the SE. Many who grew up without it didn't. Didn’t mean some did, but a phase is harder to view as iconic. Plus to me red black and yellow are iconic for Mickey and Disney. Purple was 90s and trendy. So for me purple signs were never iconic and I'm sure some who have been going 40-50 years regularly agree. Obviously not all will. That's all. My opinion :)
Fair points, all of them.

Disstevefan1

I just want to have one of the purple signs.
WDW had a place they used to call “property control“ . I think it’s called something else now, but the old place was great and they sold everything and allowed family members of cast members to also buy stuff. Back in 2004 I got U shaped cubical office desk furniture ( like 12 feet of desk space) for $35. I still use that desk today, I call it my Disney desk.

Anyway, the old property control sold everything and I would have expected to see the signs there, but not today.

Todays version of property control doesn’t sell everything like the old one did, does not allow family members “in the back room” where all the good deals are and generally sells less stuff.

The signs may turn up someplace that sells used Disney stuff but it’s they will more likely just sit back stage and rot in the Florida sun…

cranbiz

WDW had a place they used to call “property control“ . I think it’s called something else now, but the old place was great and they sold everything and allowed family members of cast members to also buy stuff. Back in 2004 I got U shaped cubical office desk furniture ( like 12 feet of desk space) for $35. I still use that desk today, I call it my Disney desk.

Anyway, the old property control sold everything and I would have expected to see the signs there, but not today.

Todays version of property control doesn’t sell everything like the old one did, does not allow family members “in the back room” where all the good deals are and generally sells less stuff.

The signs may turn up someplace that sells used Disney stuff but it’s they will more likely just sit back stage and rot in the Florida sun…
I know all about Property Control. When I was a cast member, I used to get all sorts of neat stuff there. We still use a bed spread that came from a refurb at CBR on our bed back when subtly was the common theme. Still have a bunch of other stuff around now. Got outbid on a couple of vehicles.

IMHO, my best score at Property Control was a pair of good sized coffee mugs for $1 each. They were Animals of the African Savanna but Savanna was misspelled Sannana. I still use those mugs.

Loved it.

No Name

There’s a lot we haven’t seen yet, like what happens to signs like these which incorporate turquoise and have a very 90s shape to them? I think once these get replaced we can have much fuller opinions.

1643392916230.jpeg

1643392949392.jpeg

And like others have mentioned, I would very much like one of the signs, and I’d pay a good price.

Midwest Elitist

There’s a lot we haven’t seen yet, like what happens to signs like these which incorporate turquoise and have a very 90s shape to them? I think once these get replaced we can have much fuller opinions.

View attachment 617076
View attachment 617077

And like others have mentioned, I would very much like one of the signs, and I’d pay a good price.
I think the posts will stay, they might just color it Boring Blue or something.

Mac Tonight

I hate to say it but the new signage just looks to normal. I always felt the signage on property gave you
the feeling of being away from the world because it was so different. This signage does not give me that
feeling. 😔
I think that's part of Chapek's masterplan. Eliminate all the uniqueness around the parks, reduce everything down to a common denominator, and remind guests that THEY are the magic... not the actual resort.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It makes sense to me to have a consistent theme once you are on property. The old signs matched the color scheme of the old archways color scheme of purple, red and teal:
scale;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60;progressive.jpg

That looked so dated, like so 90's. Why didn't they repaint that like 20 years ago? Like OMG...

Funny how there was no outcry about the colors on the entry arches being "outdated" when they repainted them. 🤔

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I'm only irked.

Irked - no action necessary
Perturbed - perhaps a complaint email
Angered - definitely a complaint email and a call
BEYOND - calling for heads to roll

Im not going through all 15 pages of this thread but im sure there were a few that were angered and beyond at this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom