Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
White-on-blue is used too for exit signs -- it's the different shades. It's hard to tell from a picture, but the white and blue on those Disney signs looks much duller than the kind used on standard highway signs.
I’m sure they’re reflective…but definitely appear to be diminished in those pictures

montyz81

Good thing they are spending money on those signs while Imagination rots, and yes, I am talking mainly about the Imagineers but also the ride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most of the signs are on RCID roadways, so RCID. But RCID gets most of their funding from property taxes on Disney.... They might have gotten some federal highway dollars though.
Federal highway funds are very free flowing and “flexible”. I wouldn’t doubt this much.
Add It to the list of misallocated funds. Although the money they saved per month from the trams on both coasts cheered $hapek up.
Might not be that simple in this case…and you know I’m right there with you next to Galahad and Percival on criticizing this show of a management
Not only does Disney pay for their own roadways, they also pay extra to the state of Florida to help maintain the non-Disney roadways that get wear and tear from Disney-caused traffic.

Someone around here is undoubtedly more of an expert than I am on "I-4 Fair Share."
That’s reedy creek…and if you think they don’t apply for/receive federal Highway money…I have a privatized bridge to sell you.

EeyoreFan#24

I had funding / DOT questions too.

I thought private company’s could pay the government for highway signs, like restaurants on an exit. But are they private roads with different standards and private signage or RCID roads? It all seems very blurry.

Besides the infrastructure questions I am always interested in, they look ok to me. I do miss the old ones though, but that’s ok too.

Disney4family

The first move in the change from The Most Magical Place on Earth to a dystopian urban environment theme ala Blade Runner.

After the 50th, of course.
1643301059929.png

Poseidon Quest

I'm not at all a fan of these new signs, but perhaps that's just nostalgia talking. I figured they would eventually change to match the new paint scheme for the arches, but I'm not particularly a fan of those either. Again, I could be blinded by nostalgia, but these new color schemes appear to follow in Disney's most recent trend of trying to make itself as "generic" as possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not at all a fan of these new signs, but perhaps that's just nostalgia talking. I figured they would eventually change to match the new paint scheme for the arches, but I'm not particularly a fan of those either. Again, I could be blinded by nostalgia, but these new color schemes appear to follow in Disney's most recent trend of trying to make itself as "generic" as possible.
Does anyone doubt that more generic/less specialized colors and schemes are cheaper longterm from a maintenance perspective?

James Alucobond

Because the white/green and yellow/black contrast more to the human eye…
Whuh? It’s much easier to achieve high contrast against white with blues, purples, and reds than it is with colors that are discernibly orange, yellow, or green. The latter three generally become incredibly muddy as you try to push them toward a 4.5:1 contrast ratio. Maybe you’re talking about a variety of factors that play into readability and attention grabbing outside of just contrast?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Whuh? It’s much easier to achieve high contrast against white with blues, purples, and reds than it is with colors that are discernibly orange, yellow, or green. The latter three generally become incredibly muddy as you try to push them toward a 4.5:1 contrast ratio. Maybe you’re talking about a variety of factors that play into readability and attention grabbing outside of just contrast?
I had some guys in a big DOT sign shop say that the colors work better in practice - particularly stop signs and the green/white highways…

they sounded like it was fairly common knowledge…but they might have just been bored too 😂

Epcot82Guy

The new signs are very meh (do I detect a trend...)

My main issue is why for the dollars. If this came from a highway fund that wouldn't have been used otherwise, then fine. It seems like an unnecessary waste, but use the money if you have it, I guess. If this was actual money from the Resort itself, this was a terrible use of funds that should have gone to many, many other projects.

Disney4family

I thought the old signs were ugly. They screamed tacky/kitsch. The All Star Movies of color schemes.
and I miss Disney being Disney. It was fun, different, colorful, cartoony, Disney - an escape from the modern, sleek, business, calm, cool, collected world. It helped me feel more "like a kid" when WDW looked like a kid's world. I don't wanna sit at the adult's table with the cool kids. I liked it when it looked like a family-fun place and not a serious business destination. It makes you wonder - who are they trying to impress? Who are they trying to attract?

James Alucobond

I had some guys in a big DOT sign shop say that the colors work better in practice - particularly stop signs and the green/white highways…

they sounded like it was fairly common knowledge…but they might have just been bored too 😂
Right, like I said, it may be a result of a variety of factors coming together that ultimately make green a more effective option, but from a pure contrast perspective, green and orange are much more difficult to deal with than blue and red.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom