Ice/Norway 2015 cruise Lets discuss our trip plans

Disneyfalcon

The next thing that I thought of was how do you pay for things when you go off boat at port o_O ?

Normally when we have traveled to Mexico and other Caribbean places we would use our credit card so we would get the best exchange rate, but CC companies are starting to charge fees for international use. I will need to check with my CC company.

I know lots of people have the Disney Visa. has anyone use it abroad and would know if they have fee for international use?

I hate to do cash because I never knew what I may spend and have never used travelers checks if they even have them anymore lol.

I have a Disney Visa and I believe it charges fees. This summer in the Mediterranean we used our United Card because it doesn't charge fees. It was great! They will also exchange some currency onboard. So if you run out of cash that's an option.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I have a Disney Visa and I believe it charges fees. This summer in the Mediterranean we used our United Card because it doesn't charge fees. It was great! They will also exchange some currency onboard. So if you run out of cash that's an option.

Thank you. I guess the hunt is down for a card that does not charge the fee for exchange. I find using the CC I can track my spending better. Cash seems to just disappear real quick from my pocket :(

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I wanted to let the few that are on the norway/iceland/scotland cruise that the tour companies on Orkney islands are all ready booking for people from our cruise. One company is booked another is 40% booked. I can't believe its over a year!!

ChuckElias

I wanted to let the few that are on the norway/iceland/scotland cruise that the tour companies on Orkney islands are all ready booking for people from our cruise. One company is booked another is 40% booked. I can't believe its over a year!!
I was planning on trying to make my own plans, to be honest. What companies were you trying to use.

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
I was planning on trying to make my own plans, to be honest. What companies were you trying to use.
Orkney Aspect which was 40% full and required full payment groups of up to 15....I forget the one that was booked but it sounded like they only had 1 or 2 vehicles. Also looked at see-Orkney but I ended up going with Explore Orkney which had the option of a private tour with just my Dh and I. The price was per hour but I figure it will come out to same as the other companies I contacted. We will be picked up at ship our car will be executive car BMW Series 7 3ltr with plush leather interior our Itinerary will be

The Heart of Neolithic Orkney, visiting Skara Brae, The Ring of Brodgar, The Standing Stones of
Stenness and if possible Maes Howe.

Have Lunch at The Orkney Brewery.

After lunch drive around Scapa Flow, the Naval Base for the British Fleet during both World Wars, then across the Churchill Barriers to the Italian Chapel.

and of course we can see more if time allows and with it just the two of us we can change anything at anytime. They did not require any deposit I did receive a confirmation email

Also Iceland we have decided to do the blue lagoon probably the day we pull into port and then the next day I will see what Disney has to offer

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
Since DCL lets you bring your own alcohol on board I am trying to find out what my limits our coming from the USA into Denmark? I know coming into US it is usually two bottles per person...It would be hard liquor (vodka) no wine. We saved tons bringing our own onto our Disney Dream cruise.

And as someone else pointed out Denmark is expensive buying once in country could cost more. I bring mostly vodka I like some flavored ones like raspberry, berry, ect. so any tips on buying in country would be great just in case we have to.

ChuckElias

And as someone else pointed out Denmark is expensive buying once in country could cost more. I bring mostly vodka I like some flavored ones like raspberry, berry, ect. so any tips on buying in country would be great just in case we have to.
I'm sorry to be dense, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you asking how much alcohol you can bring into Denmark on the plane? (In other words, how much you can bring from home in your airline luggage.) Or how much DCL will allow you to bring on board the Magic in your carry-on?

We were just going to buy a few bottles of wine in Copenhagen to bring on board. Bad idea?

stalkingmickey

Original Poster
How much I can bring from home in my luggage thru customs in Denmark. I know DCL policy. I do not drink wine. We drink Vodka so that is what I am looking to bring with us I know They will not have what I drink here and also the prices in Denmark at more expensive.

Now if I have to buy in Denmark I will and I have been told to try and buy at duty free shop in airport opposed to store in Copenhagen.

Bolna

Rules on import to Denmark: http://www.skat.dk/SKAT.aspx?oId=2083357&vId=0&lang=US Those rules apply if you travel from a non-EU country directly to Denmark.

If you travel from another EU country and buy alcohol there (let's say you spend a week in France and buy some French wine before you continue on to Copenhagen) these limits apply: http://www.skat.dk/SKAT.aspx?oId=2083361&vId=0&lang=US

Generally alcohol is very expensive in all of Scandinavia, people love going on the ferries they have there between one country and another for the main reason of buying cheap alcohol. It might be cheaper or at least nearly equal to get wine onboard that bother buying something in Copenhagen. If you want to bring alcohol, it might be worth it to pick something up at the duty free shop in the airport, either at your starting point, onboard your transatlantic flight, or even if you have a connecting flight within in Europe. If they are packed in a clear, sealed bag by the duty free shop, you ought to be able to keep them with you in your hand luggage, even when connecting within Europe.

Bolna

Now if I have to buy in Denmark I will and I have been told to try and buy at duty free shop in airport opposed to store in Copenhagen.

As far as I remember, Copenhagen is an airport where you will have access to the shops on arrival, at least if arriving from within the EU. But I would recommend to check with the airport beforehand, as often international arrivals tend to be funnelled directly through immigration and customs bypassing any shops.

ChuckElias

When I sailed to Hawaii with Princess, the cruise line set up a Facebook group for our particular sailing. I don't think DCL does this. If I were to set up a group for the Iceland sailing, do you think we could find enough people to join it? Would it be worth doing? This forum is nice, but there's only a few of us that seem to be on this sailing. Does anybody think we could find other people who would want to connect on Facebook?

Disneyfalcon

When I sailed to Hawaii with Princess, the cruise line set up a Facebook group for our particular sailing. I don't think DCL does this. If I were to set up a group for the Iceland sailing, do you think we could find enough people to join it? Would it be worth doing? This forum is nice, but there's only a few of us that seem to be on this sailing. Does anybody think we could find other people who would want to connect on Facebook?

Most definitely. These days there's a Facebook group for most sailings it seems. I've been in one for our last several sailings. Our Med cruise group from last summer is still going strong!

ChuckElias

Found this Copenhagen travel show on YouTube and shared it with my family to start getting them excited. Maybe you guys will like it, too.

One thing that he didn't mention in the show is Amelionborg, the royal residence, which I thought was pretty cool; and the Stone Church right next to the Amelionborg complex.

I think ABD will be releasing cruise add ons this week for our Baltic sailings next year. Anyone looking into these?
We are going to have to do our Copenhagen days at the end of our cruise because of work schedule, so I don't think it will be an option for us. It may give us some ideas on what to see on our own, though.

ChuckElias

We've been trying to do some research on what to do in Kirkwall, and it looks like there isn't a whole lot there except to walk through town and look at the cathedral. Anyone else finding anything interesting?

Instead, we're considering a day trip to Stromness, which is a 14 mile (25 minute) drive from Kirkwall, according to Google maps. There's an awesome castle and a couple of palaces there.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stromness/stromness/

What do you guys think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom